4.5 litre whipple questions.

B Street

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 27, 2010
nebraska
I have an 06 that i put a 4.5 liter whipple on last year. Since then when i get after a WOT pull the car will go into a vacuum lock and the engine will run away because vacuum lock holds throttle body wide open. So i have modified the air box and it only does this once ever 5 or 6 pulls. I want to know where i can but the carbon fiber inlet tube and has anyone had a new airbox made that will move more air with a filter.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I have an 06 that i put a 4.5 liter whipple on last year. Since then when i get after a WOT pull the car will go into a vacuum lock and the engine will run away because vacuum lock holds throttle body wide open. So i have modified the air box and it only does this once ever 5 or 6 pulls. I want to know where i can but the carbon fiber inlet tube and has anyone had a new airbox made that will move more air with a filter.
Er, that sounds exciting!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
This is curious. The throttle is cable-actuated. I don’t see how vacuum could hold it open. Did you put the throttle return spring back on correctly? Please describe what is happening in more detail.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is curious. The throttle is cable-actuated. I don’t see how vacuum could hold it open. Did you put the throttle return spring back on correctly? Please describe what is happening in more detail.

I suspect he's getting vacuum because the air intake collapses because the air box can't supply enough. Two things:

Several places have stiffener inserts. My power kit from Rich had one. Check with him.

My setup came with K&N filters that were the same size as the factory ones that (in my opinion at least) allowed more air flow than the factory units.

Rich(?) also has a CAI setup that replaces the standard filters.

Reactions: Nafod

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
Unfortunately I can’t offer much help, but that sounds super sketchy

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Even if the rubber intake duct collapses, the throttle should still close under spring pressure. This doesn’t make sense as stated. If indeed the throttle sticks open, I’d be looking for another cause.

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
Could it be related to some type of bypass valve Failure?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Is there a chunk of air filter in it?