30th Annual Cobra 1000 -- 17 Original Cobras in WY, ID, and MT

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
This might not be the timeliest of posts, although I have been meaning to get to it for a while. Life has been busy… not the least of which was spending time finalizing the specs and colors, etc. for L0054.

In any case, Drew and Janet Serb, along with daughter, Emily Serb Lambert, organized their 30th annual – yes, their 30th! – Cobra 1000 driving tour. Although the tour did not officially kick-off until September 9, a bunch of us gathered with our 17 original Cobras in Jackson, WY a few days in advance of the tour.

I should probably mention that you might notice that none of the photos, in the link below, show any of the Cobras with their convertible tops up – despite some rain. This is because none of us ever bother to carry a convertible top… if it rains, it rains, so what? The cars will dry out – eventually!

This year’s Cobra 1000 began in Jackson and wound its way over to Idaho and into Yellowstone National Park before stopping for the night at the stunning Sage Inn in Pray, MT.

Day 2 of the 1000 took us from Pray, MT to a lunch stop at a friend’s 25,000 acre ranch in Townsend, MT. Here is a link to a drone video showing the Cobras arriving at the ranch, unfortunately, there is no audio. It takes a minute for the video to load.

https://netorgft2773013-my.sharepoi...cIYPYfwwbpNrLSicN9wNFsBoutuj6lu5NnNTK4Pa6NXAQ

Before the video was shot, a few of us broke into low triple digits on our way up the one-mile-long driveway to the ranch house; although the ranch owner told us that he holds the driveway speed record at over 140mph in one of his blown hot rods!

We made our way from Townsend to Seeley Lake, MT where we overnighted at the Double Arrow Lodge.

Thursday found us driving through some stunning vistas as we made our way to Big Sky where we overnighted at the 320 Guest Ranch.

Following our stay in Big Sky, we wound our way back to Jackson and to our base of operations at Spring Creek Ranch.

The 30th annual Cobra 1000 was, just like the 29 others, a superb event. All of us had a blast driving these Cobras in the precise manner in which Carroll Shelby had intended for them to be driven!

(Note: Now that the the GT Forum has been overhauled, I cannot figure out how to get more than five photos to upload.)

Here is a link to the photos for anyone who might be interested:

All the best,
Lee Cross

Attachments

• 20190912_081312.jpg
    20190912_081312.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190912_081510.jpg
    20190912_081510.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190912_083535.jpg
    20190912_083535.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20190912_085808.jpg
    20190912_085808.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190912_090556.jpg
    20190912_090556.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. That is some breath taking country not to mention seeing the trail of cobras . Just beautiful!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, I look forward to seeing/hearing about this event! No bears this year?

I should probably mention that you might notice that none of the photos, in the link below, show any of the Cobras with their convertible tops up – despite some rain. This is because none of us ever bother to carry a convertible top… if it rains, it rains, so what? The cars will dry out – eventually!

I can vouch for this. I got stuck in a hail storm once. Bigger, about quarter sized (bigger than shooter marble, smaller than golf ball) that beat my ears to bloody (not head because I always wear a baseball cap). Pulled under a tree to ride out the storm. Passenger seat and foot box had about 6" of hail in the bottom. Scooped it out, parked it on a slope and left it in the sun for a couple of days. Dried out nice.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Yes, I look forward to seeing/hearing about this event! No bears this year?

I can vouch for this. I got stuck in a hail storm once. Bigger, about quarter sized (bigger than shooter marble, smaller than golf ball) that beat my ears to bloody (not head because I always wear a baseball cap). Pulled under a tree to ride out the storm. Passenger seat and foot box had about 6" of hail in the bottom. Scooped it out, parked it on a slope and left it in the sun for a couple of days. Dried out nice.
No bears this year... at least none that came after us!

Uh-oh, you were very lucky! Hail and aluminium-bodied Cobras do not mix well!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Uh-oh, you were very lucky! Hail and aluminium-bodied Cobras do not mix well!
To make a long story short, I found just the right Cobra. Mine was CSX4005LA, one of 6 carbon fiber cars built by HST International for Shelby. Yes, CARBON FIBER!!! I knew aluminum and hail don't mix. In fact, in this storm even fibreglass would probably have had some star-checking. The CF took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. The aluminum Raydot mirrors didn't fare so well though!! The experience confirmed my plan!!! Cobras are sort of like Harley motorcycles. One never (OK, rarely) decides to drive a Harley into a thunderstorm. Same for Cobras. Usually it's the case of "weather was perfect when I left then turned to cr**". Which is the every day weather in the monsoon season on the Front Range. THunderstorms most often crop up about 14:00 to 15:00, but that day, started early!!

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
CF should do the trick! Lol!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Oh my god!! What a beautiful journey in the Cobra's and Country. Thank you for posting the pictures and story.

We (the GT Forum) have got to do some overnighters driving the GT's.

Last edited:
Reactions: jr66 and 93extxdps

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is this group getting together this year? I always look forward to seeing the pictures of all these originals out in the wild.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Is this group getting together this year? I always look forward to seeing the pictures of all these originals out in the wild.
Yes, the 32nd annual Cobra 1000 will be taking place during September in Utah. I will post some photos from the event. Hopefully, there will not be any snow during this year's event!
All the best,
Lee

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Sorry that it has taken me so long to get these photos posted; it has been a very busy few months.

My wife and I participated in the 32nd annual Cobra 1000, during mid-September, in Utah & AZ. The Cobra 1000 was followed by my annual vintage G.T. 350 Tour, which took place in Hershey, PA from Oct. 10-16. I was asked to display our 2020 Ford GT at the Greenwich, CT Concours d'Elegance, which took place on the weekend after the G.T. 350 Tour had concluded. I then went to the Velocity Invitational event at Laguna Seca Raceway from Nov. 11-14. Immediately following Velocity, my wife and I were participants in Tom Cotter and Jim Maxwell's Cobra tour which took place in the Smoky Mountains of NC/TN.

As I said, it has been a busy few months....

In any case, here is a link to the photos from the Cobra 1000: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xLtcT1Uc0DCFgTDrVJMuEGcUtoejaPWV?usp=sharing

Reactions: DakotaGT

Tomcat

GT Owner
I know a couple of Cobra guys, Dr. Maxwell and I have been to Tom Cotter's holiday charity car gathering in my GT...did you meet either of them at this gathering?
Now I see you know them from the Smokey Mountain trip. :)

Reactions: lc2006

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Yes, I know both Jim and Tom well. My wife and I have been enthusiastic participants in their Cobra tours for years.

Here is a photo of Jim & Sue on the recent Smoky Mountain tour.20211115_110707.jpg20211116_105854.jpg

Tomcat

GT Owner
Yes, I know both Jim and Tom well. My wife and I have been enthusiastic participants in their Cobra tours for years.
Here is a photo of Jim & Sue on the recent Smoky Mountain tour.
Yes, Jim introduced me (actually my GT) to the TC group and we "flew in section" to and from a few gatherings in Charlotte.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Thanks, Lee- I have come to look forward to seeing these photos, yearly. :)

Reactions: lc2006

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Thanks, Lee- I have come to look forward to seeing these photos, yearly. :)
Hi Clint -- When I get a few free moments, I'll post some photos from the Nov 14-19, 2021 Cobra tour in the Smoky Mountains. I thought that it was a little dicey to hold a Cobra tour at 2,700' - 5,400' during mid-November, but we had great weather; although we had a few mornings with temps in the low 20s!

Reactions: DakotaGT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Way cool!