2006 Ford GT Windshield Replacement Advice

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Caught a rock 2 days ago. The windshield needs to be replaced. If any of the rest of you have gone through this process, I'd appreciate receiving any advice you can provide.

-West Clark

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are supposed to remove both fenders, although there are reports of it being done without removing them. There is also a difference between early 05 windshields and later ones based on the antenna wiring. It is VIN dependent.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Also, there is a strip of u-shaped plastic at the bottom of the windshield to protect the raw edge from damage. It is black. Don't lose it or break it. Replace on new glass with a little clear caulk.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
You are supposed to remove both fenders, although there are reports of it being done without removing them. There is also a difference between early 05 windshields and later ones based on the antenna wiring. It is VIN dependent.
VIN dependent on how it was built but not on replacement unit. there is only one available from Ford.

Reactions: 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Also, there is a strip of u-shaped plastic at the bottom of the windshield to protect the raw edge from damage. It is black. Don't lose it or break it. Replace on new glass with a little clear caulk.
And that u-channel was notorious for coming off and being a bear to get back in place. I used a hook shaped tool but it never stayed for any period of time.

Reactions: NorthwoodGT

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
I had my pitted windshield replaced last year. I removed the front fenders, and brought to a local glass shop that had done at least one prior GT. Really not sure how a good job could be done without removing fenders, and the fenders could easily be damaged, removing the old windshield. I would pay special attention to how the seals on the sides of the windshield are reattached. The glass shop used some double sided tape, that was too thick and made the seals not lay flat. I ended up redoing them, and got them back to a factory look. You can replace the seal, but it goes all the way around the top of the door. I bought a new u-channel, as I believe it was called out in the Ford service manual.

Reactions: 2112