2005 Gauge cluster just died

custodian

Apr 27, 2018
2005 GT the gauge cluster has ceased working with the exception of the boost gauge (pretty sure this one must be mechanical), all other gauges are non responsive. Illumination is working on all gauges. Also, check gauge warning indicator, door ajar warning indictor and check engine warning indicator are on and will not turn off while driving car.
Car starts and runs fine. I have read that this is not an isolated problem and that several cars have experienced this problem. Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Check you battery and battery ground bolt.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
It would be unusual for several of the gauges to quit simultaneously due to internal problems. I agree that the battery or battery ground cable are the most likely suspects.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure your front trunk and rear clamshell are closed. Do your wipers work only on high?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How old is the battery?

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Most likely the battery or ground as others have said....

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Make sure it's the right type of battery too. We've seen all sorts of weird behaviour when people put a conventional lead acid battery in place of the AGM type. BTW none of the gauges are mechanical.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Mine did this the other day, but boost went out too. Just a simple power cycle of the key resolved my issue. I’ll be watching this thread closely as I feel it will probably happen again.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Check you battery and battery ground bolt.
I agree, mine stopped working when the battery ran down but after a full charge was just fine again. Hope you are as lucky

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

And we would greatly appreciate an update from you.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If recharging the battery and cleaning the connections and restarting doesn't do the trick, then it gets more complicated. There is a module that sends the signals to the gauges that may be bad. The boost gauge does not directly read a mechanical or pressure signal. It also takes a signal from the module, so it's interesting that it still works and the others do not. These gauges do not read directly from sensors but have an intermediary box that does some kind of signal translation, because they have electric stepper motors inside them that drive the needles, not an analog coil and spring. Do write back with the results of your tests.

Russ Oasis

GT Owner
Dec 28, 2005
Miami, FL
Guys, have I mistakenly been using non AGM batteries? Other than them dying after 2 years, I haven't had issues. Wish I had known that AGM was a necessity.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is not a necessity. There aren't many batteries that fit.

custodian

Apr 27, 2018
Make sure your front trunk and rear clamshell are closed. Do your wipers work only on high?
Sorry for delay in answering, medical issues. Everything is closed and the wipers work, intermediate, low and high.

custodian

Apr 27, 2018
And we would greatly appreciate an update from you.
Sorry for no update, medical issue. Still no progress with gauges. Have tried all recommendations, but will still keep trying.