1992 Ford GT 40 Mk V Spyder; what do you all know about these cars?

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
I wasn't aware of these cars; sounds almost like the continuation cobras or GT350 convertibles Shelby made a handful of in the 1980's...what do you guys think these are worth? With the value of the GT 40's from the 60's in the 7 figure range (or 8), seems priced appropriately.

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/even...ical&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
The Safir cars are an interesting bunch. Superformance cars are a much more economical (and newer) alternative. However, the Mk Vs are more continuation than replica. This particular car is rather incongruous; it sports a late Mk 1 front end, including spare cover, but Mk II rear end with multiple air intakes for brakes and engine cooling, yet the motor is more than likely a Mathwell Windsor.
$300-$350,000 especially in the current environment, is really reasonable money for a car of this quality; our GTs are touching that dough routinely, and a real 40 is worth a couple million minimum. A friend of mine has one of the first of the Safir cars, completed in the mid-late 80s. One really needs to see them in the flesh, especially parked next to a GT. There's not a lot of car there. I'd bet this car weighs < 2200 lbs.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I'd bet this car weighs < 2200 lbs.
:willy

I love the snorkels.