1968 "Eleanor"

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Is there anyone on here that has good knowledge on these cars? I'm looking at one and I'm very confused by what all is out there.

I'm being told this car is one of possibly 10-15 original Eleanor cars licensed by Disney. It wasn't in the movie or anything like that because I've seen those cars have sold for upwards to a million. It's signed by Carroll Shelby and has a Shelby VIN number. It's a 1968 Mustang. Has a Keith Craft 351 in it that is just wicked sick. Searching Google about them just returns so much information about so many different types of "Eleanor" cars. I'm lost.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Eleanor are made up cars. They are slick looking but have no real roots. There was a company in it think Oklahoma that would take a Mustang chassis and convert it..

please note for 200 and later 300 donation to the foundation carroll would sign almost anything.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Yeah I knew they weren't any kind of production car.

I did forget that you could get that signature on just about anything though...thanks for reminding me of that.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Agreed, better performance with all the modern upgrades but not considered real Shelbys by anyone other than the car builders.

Still could be a great muscle car if you can get one at the right price, I believe they depreciate quite a bit and the $200k price I see advertised often seems steep.

I think lightly used are close to half that. Real GT500s range from $90K for boxes of rusty parts to $440k for a pretty nice car sold at BJ a couple months back. It was Nightmist over parchment (probably most desirable) and said to once be owned by Carroll's son.

Keep us posted.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I can get this car for substantially less than $200k. I've seen similar for $150-160 and I'm still below that.

There isn't a nut or bolt on this car that hasn't been replaced...it's just clean as can be and just looks and sounds like a hell bound menace. He's fairly confident that the KC engine would outrun my GT if the tires would stick...and I respect this guys opinion quite a bit...he rebuilds a lot of high end cars and knows his stuff.

I'm going to do more research and ponder on it a bit more...I don't like to rush decisions like this so I'll let my "gotta have it" heart rate simmer for a few days and then ask myself if I still really want it.

Thanks guys and if anyone else has any input please share...

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I think this car may have been built by Unique Performance but I haven't verified that yet. I'm going to call Shelby American tomorrow and see what they can tell me about it since it has a Shelby VIN plaque on it.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
interesting pursuit keeps us updated

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I love the "Eleanor", if you get it, drive it like you stole it!!!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sounds like a fun new toy! You're getting a nice collection there. Good luck!

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
SS Rob

I own a 67 Shelby with a built 427, fast car, definitely shreds the tires but is not faster than a stock GT, just sounds faster, also doesn't brake or turn very well, I suggest you drive this 68, maybe brakes & suspension are improved, looking at the newer cars you have this is still a step back in this regard, if you love the Look and nostalgia it may make up for it, probably a short term investment and do not ever get out of the GT and then drive the old car.

Steve

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
OK, so I went to pick up my Mustang today and the guy that actually owns Eleanor was there. It was built by Classic Recreations and is apparently 1 of about 10 that were authorized and licensed from Disney to be built as an Eleanor car...but there were apparently some legal issues so CR is reluctant to talk about the car or how many were made. Kinda odd, but OK. It does, for some reason, have a Shelby authenticity card. He's faxing me a file folder full of information about it tomorrow. CR still builds similar cars but they call them GT500CR's. They -start- at $219,000.

Attachments

• IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 221

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just my opinion here.

The cars are worth about half MSRP from CR. You can build or commission a build for a little less that that. This not saying the cars aren't fun, cool, etc. They are. Just buy it right.

I prefer original style fiberglass and a bumper. That is just me. I do love the huge SBF power and upgraded suspension.

Those Heim jointed anterior-posterior Monte Carlo bars are decorative not functional. A real export brace and Monte Carlo bar will work better. Heim joints move/rotate.

Pilot

May 1, 2013
SSRob,

Did you get the car and if so, how is it?

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I have dealt with classic recreations and bought one of their continuation cars which post dated the ones built for the movie.

PM me and I can provide very interesting and helpful details.

I have dealt with Jason Engel the owner of classic recreations.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
SSRob, They are based on the GT500KR, King of the Road. It amazes me that people will spend the amount of money for a Clone. It is ussualy a 6 cyl car. When there are real cars out there that will increase in value and are still very driveable vehicles. Here is a link that is on our sight of a Real GT500KR looking to partial trade toward a GT. If I sold it it would go toward another GT. Just trying to help. Maybe you did not see the post.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ike-to-add-another-GT-Partial-trade-plus-cash

Thanks David

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Actually, I applied my 1 week waiting period on Eleanor. I decided that if I still had to have it after a week, I'd buy it. The desire faded. I just didn't see any short or long term gain on spending $140,000.

I did however pick up this little pony on Sunday...even has the original keys. Two owner cars...need some minor work and a fresh paint job but the frame, drivetrain and engine are all solid and original. Engine and transmission were rebuilt within the last 2 years. It's a 289 and it's surprisingly pretty stout. The car was originally light metallic blue but was obviously repainted red. At least they did a complete paint job so the door sills and everything match. Once I get all the minor stuff fixed, I'll have her sprayed blue again.

IMG_4602.jpg
IMG_4603.jpg
IMG_4604.jpg
IMG_4605.jpg
IMG_4606.jpg

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
It was kinda funny... I had it parked next to my 2015 50th Anniversary GT. My son was standing in front of them kinda tilting his head like he was trying to figure something out. He then says, "Ahhhhh, now I see why your 50th Anniversary has that type of grill emblem!"

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Very nice

Pilot

May 1, 2013
SSRob,

I'm glad you didn't buy the 1968 "Eleanor" Mustang you were looking at. I don't think such cars have good long term residual value in my opinion. My opinion is if you are going spend "original Shelby type money" on a Mustang then just buy a real Shelby Mustang.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Yeah, it was quite a bit of loot for something that is basically a novelty. It's a wicked car though.