Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Orange

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So I thought of this in the topic with the carbon fiber wheels.

Since the body panels are carbon fiber, will it be possible to get an UNPAINTED car with naked CF?

I am not a fan of it at all but some people like it. And if you are trying to shed weight for the track, doffing all that paint is a good way. It reminds me of the "bare naked lady" unpainted Kirkham aluminum Cobras and I don't like them either. Cobras should be painted Guardsman Blue and Ford GTs should be painted in Gulf livery.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks DBK, but that's a little too much volcano and not enough Mark IV red.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
A shape like this really deserves a paint that shows off the curves, and metallics and pearls are best for accentuating them with their changing hues. So IMO any straight color like black, white, and red is low on the list. The heritage with a metallic blue and satin orange would be beautiful, but a silver or the concept car blue would be my choice.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Since the body panels are carbon fiber, will it be possible to get an UNPAINTED car with naked CF?

Nope. I thought it would be cool because of the high tech nature of the car, but can't do it. Can't do bare CF wheels either.

A shape like this really deserves a paint that shows off the curves, and metallics and pearls are best for accentuating them with their changing hues. So IMO any straight color like black, white, and red is low on the list. The heritage with a metallic blue and satin orange would be beautiful, but a silver or the concept car blue would be my choice.

Agreed. I think black will look bad ass, but as much of a white car person as I am, I think it'll wipe out all the craziness in the shape.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
update bump

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would be amazed if Ford didn't offer the Gulf color combination on this car. After all the intent is to go back to Le Mans. Given that everyone will order the new one with Gulf livery. Then it'll be the most common color. My prediction.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Zero chance Ford would allow a Gulf scheme to be the most common.

If and when they offer a Gulf livery, it's going to cost major money, and it will be few units.

Liquid Silver paint on a 918 is $63,000. If you paid big money to acquire a Heritage 2006, and they made low volume with the same scheme for the new car, what would be the market value for collectors looking to pair the two? Ford is aware of this situation, and they are aware of the premiums being paid over every other paint job.

Personal preference would be a super duper hardcore everything-delete, CF-wheeled, big fixed-wing LM edition in a quantity of 50 (or 66) for the 2016 anniversary. Now THAT would be worth the huge premium.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
^ "R" Model.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Personal preference would be a super duper hardcore everything-delete, CF-wheeled, big fixed-wing LM edition in a quantity of 50 (or 66) for the 2016 anniversary. Now THAT would be worth the huge premium.

Oh yeah!!! Basically, the full out race car with the exterior "exceptions" cleared up (e.g., no movable wing) but with the street interior safety stuff (e.g., air bags, etc). They have to build at least 8, and doing that would help amortize the cost of tooling those extra features. Heck maybe they could even include some of the race fixtures like telemetrics, etc.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Update, per Tungsten color

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Update, per Tungsten color

Best you quickly add Liquid Silver…and then I want to change my vote!

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Shelby blue w/white stripes. another traditional scheme, like Gulf

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I'd like to pair it with my midnight blue/white stripe car in the opposite configuration.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I am not a fan of it at all but some people like it. And if you are trying to shed weight for the track, doffing all that paint is a good way. It reminds me of the "bare naked lady" unpainted Kirkham aluminum Cobras and I don't like them either. Cobras should be painted Guardsman Blue and Ford GTs should be painted in Gulf livery.

Nope. I thought it would be cool because of the high tech nature of the car, but can't do it. Can't do bare CF wheels either.

Agreed. I think black will look bad ass, but as much of a white car person as I am, I think it'll wipe out all the craziness in the shape.

More than likely Ford is using the non directional Carbon Fiber matt. ( that's what's on the inside of our clam shells ). It's has no aesthetic appeal and it's easier to mold.