12v Accessory ( cigarette lighter ) and Radio Head Unit not working

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Well, I'm at my wits end. This afternoon, I noticed my phone was not charging from the 12V plug in the dash. After trying several different devices and testing on another car it turns out the plug was not working. I still listened to my music with the RCA jacks. No biggie, I thought, its probably a fuse. Next time I jump in the car, the radio does not turn on. The buttons light up when I turn on the headlight switch but nothing else. Tried disconnecting the battery and restarting. Same thing.
Check the fuse box and the radio (McIntosh power) and 12V accessory fuses are perfectly fine.
I figured it might be a loose plug, so I fell in the rabbit hole and removed the center console, subwoofer, lower dash pad and radio console. Everything appears fine.
Not sure what to check next.
Any ideas?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Contact the GT Guys Rich Brooks for advice. Sounds like a ground needs to be cleaned.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check your battery ground strap bolt ; and tighten. Radio can sound low and/or 12 V port not work when battery is low.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Nothing worse than electrical gremlins, hours to trouble shoot and minutes to fix. Contact team Kendall and Ryan (Coll Tech LLC- Nota4re on this forum), they know the car extremely well. Good Luck.

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Thanks, guys!! I actually contacted Rich Roback and we're scheduled to met up next week in Scottsdale. It was nice to know he didn't mind if I left it apart when I take it up there, lol.

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Interested in seeing what he discovers. Please post the conclusion ;)

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Sorry, got my Rich’s mixed up lol. Fixed the post. It was stupid because I got the fuses confused so my radio and lighter are good. Luckily, Rich found that my car needed the axle shaft bolt upgrade. Him and Jeff Boulais are going to help sort out my heater door issue to get it back to 100%.