1:18 scale model

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Seems pricey for a model with no moving parts (doors, hood, ect..).

https://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/catalogmfg.asp?Mfg=MA&Type=&RChar=S

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Yes, I was surprised that nothing opens on the Top Speed!

I guess I was used to the quality and function of the Auto Art models.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI

https://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/catalogmfg.asp?Mfg=MA&Type=&RChar=S

Unfortunately, the model industry as a whole has gone through a boom as of late, and most of it can be blamed on the industrialization of China. Workers who might have worked for a few pennies a day before are demanding better pay and working conditions and the more advanced the country becomes, the more expensive it becomes to do business.

10 years ago, AutoArts were $60-80. Now they're $200-300. 1/43 scale models used to be ~$35 - now they're $75. Everything has just gone up in pricing.

But as far as value goes. Many of the other "Premium" model makers are doing the same - AutoArt and Spark are all doing sealed bodies (AA has some with opening parts, but many are sealed). AA claimed when they went to sealed bodies it would have 2 benefits, models would come to market more quickly and prices would go down. Neither of those things have happened. Now AutoArt is switching from die-cast metal to resin for some models, another change that should warrant a lower price, but nope, they're as expensive as ever.

I think what it comes down to is a combination of models being more expensive to create and the fact that buying one is a luxury purchase. No one needs a model car, but we want them, so you wind up paying whatever they sell for.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Yes, I was surprised that nothing opens on the Top Speed!

I guess I was used to the quality and function of the Auto Art models.

Many are now complaining about AutoArt, even boycotting them because they're switching from die-cast metal to resin on bodies and they've also cut corners on interior quality, all, while not reducing the prices of the models themselves. I think if you're used to cars like AutoArt with excellent detail and lots of opening parts, you should get used to more of them becoming sealed, resin and less impressive, at the same price point.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The new economy. Pay more, get less.

Bummer.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Please don't forget Inflation.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I've been looking at my model more and more, and now that I understand that less models have moving parts, I am evaluating it on the appearance irrespective of the functionality.

And it seems reasonably well executed. Yeah, the honeycomb pattern does seem disproportionately a tad large as mentioned.

In shipping or packing the styrofoam had also been compressed to the base leaving some residue. But I carefully cleaned it off with water and a soft towel, slowly, and that eliminated that issue.

All in all, a nice item. Looking forward to hearing about the other manufacturer models, as I would like to find one with opening doors and engine cover. Always nice to be able to see the interior details.