Driving tours Swiss/Italian Alps

Tomcat

GT Owner
Can anyone recommend a Company/Service that they have first-hand experience with?
My wife and I are looking at "exotic car" driving tours in the Alps. We've seen two-person pricing for a single high-end car for 4 days through the Alps for about $10,000/couple OR 5 days with ten different cars (2 per day) about $30,000/couple.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris A. and GT@50

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure to find out how your luggage gets around. Make sure about incidental fees.

Reactions: Tomcat

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Several years ago my wife and I went on the Five Country Tour with Autobahn Adventures. They supplied us with a brand new 911, and luggage was transported by them to each overnight stop. Everyone on the tour loved it, including us. We could travel our own route each day and find our way to the evening's destination by pre-programmed GPS.

Reactions: extrap

Tomcat

GT Owner
Several years ago my wife and I went on the Five Country Tour with Autobahn Adventures. They supplied us with a brand new 911, and luggage was transported by them to each overnight stop. Everyone on the tour loved it, including us. We could travel our own route each day and find our way to the evening's destination by pre-programmed GPS.
Thanks...we will check them out.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might go to AAA and get an international drivers license. Make sure insurance coverage is adequate and covers mutiple countries.

Reactions: Tomcat

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have never gotten an International permit. I have listened to searches that suggest this:

"If you have a valid license from your home state, you can drive in European countries for up to 90 days without further documentation. However, once you have spent more than 90 days in Europe and wish to continue driving there, it is recommended that you get an International Driver's License (IDL)"

And dont worry, the traffic speed cameras, their tickets will eventually find you, and its always long after the 1st time window to pay, and dangerously close to the 3rd most expensive time period. Note, the last time we were in France, I got ZERO tickets. you learn quickly.....

I want to some day do a Porsche European delivery (I think they are the last to do it (BMW for sure does not))

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I suggest the international drivers license so that the local police don't take your real license in bond. If you have one and you get pulled over (in any European country the laws are very harsh on alcohol and driving for example) they keep the AAA copy and you go on your merry way and get a new one when you get back to the USA. And thanks to Brombear, I also had no tickets at LeMans. Ask me sometime and I will tell you my story about Salzburg, Austria.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Specracer , I think Volvo still does European deliveries. That's a little more your style. Plenty of room for luggage.

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
I've driven in Europe plenty of times, starting in the mid-80s on the German Autobahns especially, and never had an intentional driver license, but I agree that these days it's a good idea to carry one..simply for (as fjpikul wrote) to have it be the one the polizei decided to keep, instead of your regular license.

I've done the BMW European Delivery. Actually, they started it after my request in 1996. I was the editor-in-chief of Motor Trend at the time and thought it an interesting way to pick up our new 1997 540i Sport 6-speed test car. I ran it by BMW PR, and after a trip up the exec food chain, it came back with a "We've been considering starting a European delivery program. You can be first." It was a great deal, and the savings paid for much of the trip. Made the many tankfuls of $7/gallon (conversion rates back then) gasoline seem more palatable.

Here's the lead photo from the magazine article on that trip. That photo was shot "practical" (as they say in Hollywood), meaning no trickery or post-production. That was in the days of Kodachrome slide film, and before Photoshop existed. To get the shot without shadows on the gauges from the flash, I had to hold the camera upside down, while trying to steer, as the tach and speedometer needles both got to redline.

Amazing, also, is that there was a vacant autobahn in front of me. It was a weekday, somewhere away from Munich, and I just lucked out on traffic, weather, and getting the perfect shot.

This was redline in 5th gear, with one more cog to go. Fun times.

Attachments

• Speed Blind BMW 540i Sport 6-speed Germany 1996.jpg
    Speed Blind BMW 540i Sport 6-speed Germany 1996.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: alexhay3

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
At that pace, Im sure that gas gauge did not read full, for very long.....

Cool story, and great picture!