Engine Cut Off

whale

Nov 20, 2021
Chattanooga, Tn
Hi everyone have never posted before but, on Saturday I was letting the car run for a while and after about 15 minutes it cut off. I restarted the engine with no problem......has anyone ever experienced this.....? Thanks for your reply's Wayne

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's not clear - was this under operational conditions or were you warming it up in the driveway (idle all the time)?

Instantaneous or was there hesitation and sputtering?

After restarting did it show signs of "limp mode"?

First time starting after a winter of down time? Old gas?

Do you have an OBDII reader? The Bluetooth connected ones are about $20 and will tell you if there are any pending codes. I'm assume none are active because you didn't mention the "check engine" light being on...

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Was it windy outside?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Was it windy outside?
And did you have the clam shell open?

If so, wind direct into the airbox, can trip up the MAF. That is why the screens are in the clamshell, to relieve pressure, coming in the air vents.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Even with the clamshell in place a strong/solid crosswind can disrupt the airflow/MAF. This happened to me (once), near the coast, sitting at a stoplight with a consistent on-shore wind at 90 degrees to the GT heading.

whale

Nov 20, 2021
Chattanooga, Tn
Thanks to everyone that responded. Car has not been started in a few weeks, clamshell was down car was inside garage. i keep Aviation 100 LL in the car so its hard for it to go bad. No check engine light and yes it was idling and restarted with no problem.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Failing fuel pump relays possible.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I wouldn't worry too much about what you experienced unless it becomes a recurring issue. I would caution you, however, on running any sort of leaded fuel in a car with catalytic converters and oxygen sensors; it can damage them and then you WILL have problems.

Reactions: twobjshelbys