For you new 05/06 GT owners!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Over the last 15 years I've posted this many times.I feel its time again! I hope this is informative and helpful.
There are many great mods you can do to your Gt.
Cosmetic/functional ones, that I like are ;
The Stillen splash guards are a must .These will save your lower rockers front and rear.They look like they came with the car.
Project 321 .The door sills replacements.The radiator ,oii and dip stick caps.These are very nice and compliment the car nicely .Mine faded and they replaced them ! A good company.
The billet clam shell vents .These look so good you don't know that they are not stock.Very functional as the the stock ones can warp
The hot buttons or the real deal done by Steve Hemstock of Knights automotive.He actually sews them in and is truly a master craftsman when it comes to interiors.He did all the gtx1 interior mods .A very nice guy as well.
Functional mods .This depends on your budget and how you are going to use the car.
Pulley and tune is the best bang for your buck.
BUT YOU MUST GET YOUR CAR TUNED ON A DYNO !!!!NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS ABOUT IT! Anything else may hurt your gal.Torrie at fast parts network is a master tuner.
Remove the air exiting grill .I leave mine off all the time. It provides better cooling.Also Looks cool to me !
Make your brake ducts functional .This is a big job but can be done by Rich of the Gt GUYS. .Also Bob Ida is also top notch he is in NJ. He is a dyno MASTER!And all round brilliant guy! Brake ducts and cooling mods a must if you track your car.And even if you don't!
The clam shell lever made by the Gt guys .Now you can open the clam shell from one side!
This is a must!This lets you open the clam shell in one easy step This is really one of my favorites
Short throw shifter .Yup a great mod
The little rubber piece that sits in front of the shifter and under the radio .This holds your cell phone nicely.Advertised on the forum
Tranny cooler, can’t go wrong on this one!
Short throw shifter is real nice and very functional.
Scott Ahlman The chassis engineer from Ford Gt program (was the chassis engineer on the Honda Indy car program)the program produces the finest shock spring set up available for street and track.He has worked with NASCAR,IMSA .He is a brilliant engineer.Get his shocks and springs while you can! These are awesome!!608-333-7581
Get RID OF YOUR STOCK MUFFLER ! Heavy right where you don't want it ,in the rear! And way to quiet.I have the GT guy xpipe.But Heffner and Ida also are nice
Rear bumper delete .This is just beautiful !!! Gives you the nicest ass in town !!! A must have !I find myself opening the garage door just to look at her backside!!I went with the GT guys bumper delete for cooling and the best look in my opinion.Camillo agrees!
Brembo racing rotors .
Carbotech xp 20's brake pads for the front XP 16's for the rear .Minimal brake dust and no heat soak issues.These pads are awesome!Nothing comes close !
Pro Speed extreme brake fluid.(Pegasus sells it)A 100 degree higher boiling point than anything on the market!Ford dot 5.1 is great too .Also use this for your clutch.
If you ever need to replace your clutch .Go with the Stillen .I'm very happy with it.
Take your wipers off.The car looks so much better from the inside and outside.Leave the wipers in your trunk.
Clear bra every leading edge or your whole car .Do behind the front and rear wheel arches and the whole rocker on your GT I actually did my whole car with expel ultimate!
Also Kip Ewings center console arm rest storage.If still available.
The newest mod/upgrade is the GT guy front spoiler mod! It prevents the spoiler from bowing! Very trick!
A new rear mirror with a back up camera .Gt guys did mine and I love it.Most excellent!
THE GT GUYS RULE ! Rich is simply the best, most knowledgeable and experienced in anything Ford GT.Rich was on the preproduction and development team starting in 2001. And is simply brilliant! Just hope he likes you as much as you like him!
I also did the mac relocationThis one is nice because you get the storage piece that comes with the non mac cars .The sub woofer goes behind the passenger seat and the amp goes behind the drivers seat. Specracer did mine and I am forever grateful! .
You can do a search on the forum for more details on all these upgrades /changes
Welcome aboard! Or should I say down the rabbit hole!

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Ron, Never use DOT 5 brake fluid in the Ford GT as you suggested above. Only use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. The DOT 5 is silicone fluid and will ruin your brakes. The other DOT formulas are synthetic. There is a huge difference between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1.

Otherwise, nice summary.

Reactions: roketman

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ron, Never use DOT 5 brake fluid in the Ford GT as you suggested above. Only use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. The DOT 5 is silicone fluid and will ruin your brakes. The other DOT formulas are synthetic. There is a huge difference between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1.

Otherwise, nice summary.

Good to know.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto what AWESUM said. DOT 5 is a silicone fluid that will not mix with DOT 3, 4, and 5.1. A long time ago, I switched my then ‘86 Porsche Turbo to DOT 5. First I totally drained and blew out the lines and calipers and master cylinder. Nevertheless, for months afterwards, was still finding “bubbles” of old DOT4 when I bled the brakes. I also did several track events and found that the silicone was spongier when hot than the glycol stuff. I didn’t like that feel, so I switched back to DOT 4. Wish I had never done it in the first place.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Otherwise, nice summary.
You are correct!
I corrected the post!
Thank you guys!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
You guys are gonna love the front spoiler fix that Rich came up with! Stay tuned I’ll post a picture later

Tomcat

GT Owner
You guys are gonna love the front spoiler fix that Rich came up with! Stay tuned I’ll post a picture later
I would like to see.

Reactions: extrap

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
The Project 321 stuff is now mostly gone and they stopped making them awhile back....the same for anything Kip produced, I had to pay through the nose for a set of interior CF that included the storage armrest. Hopefully someday I get around to installing everything.

I’ll throw out the billet base and leather shift boot (to get rid of the plastic stock one) and the billet aircraft style engine braces (group buy going on now) as great pieces.

I would like to see the engraved gas cap offered again and the CF low profile wipers too.

Reactions: F Pilot and 2112

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Kip has a bunch of unfinished stuff in storage.
When I spoke to him a short time ago he mentioned he may finish it and put up for sale on the forum!
I'll give him a gentle push!

Last edited:

Martin2006GT

GT Owner
Feb 15, 2021
North Reading MA
Ron,

I am glad you live close by! Thanks for spending the time on the phone with me a few weeks ago. We will meet up soon for a cruise !

mach1pannu

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2019
Good info...should we add the following?

Make sure battery ground has a good connection at chassis
Inspect/replace axle bolts - recall
Trans cooler is already listed but I did the breather too
If oem gauges are not working, the speed hut cluster is an option
Check and replace melted connectors in engine bay, i.e. starter cable connector
Clear bra the door sills after replacing and it will help with scratches
Scott @ Dearborn Performance and Torrie McPhail @ Unleashed tuning are great sources for replacement fluids and parts

Over the last 15 years I've posted this many times.I feel its time again! I hope this is informative and helpful.
There are many great mods you can do to your Gt.
Cosmetic/functional ones, that I like are ;
The Stillen splash guards are a must .These will save your lower rockers front and rear.They look like they came with the car....

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Anyone have a link to the rubber cell phone holder and know who to get a new plastic starter connector from? I understand that the connector is or might be a Toyota P/N? Thanks!

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
Thank you for the intel gents.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anyone have a link to the rubber cell phone holder and know who to get a new plastic starter connector from? I understand that the connector is or might be a Toyota P/N? Thanks!
DBK had the rubber cell phone holders