Flashing (tuning) a stock GT, Opinions?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Considering buying an SCT xcalibrator with custom flash for a stock GT. I really don't want to sink a bunch of $$$ into upgrades right now so I thought a custom tune plus catback would be a good place to start. Has anyone used any of the tunes below? I have done a search and no one seems to have first hand knowledge about these tunes. Everyone agrees that the stock settings are conservative (pig rich), and that a tune would certainly improve HP/TQ but has anyone tried these flashes. Accufab is expensive and I don't see any numbers posted on their site for the gains. Alternative shows 50hp and 30tq, at $500 and Kenne Bell shows 37hp and 49tq at $399. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup Lastly, is there any benefit in going with the SCT XcalibratorII over the Xcalibrator?

http://www.accufabracing.com/ford_gt.htm
http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/06_ford_gt_tune.html
http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/Ford_GT/Ford_GT.htm

Last edited:

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Anyone?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
jdoc7

The difference between the KB tune and the AlternativeAuto is that KB usws the Xcalibrator I (Tune Only) and AlternativeAuto uses the Xcalibrator II (Tune and Code Scanner); Also you can change some things on the tunes, if the TUNER (AlternativeAuto) lets you (Programs it into your Xcalibrator II) !!!

AMB

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I bought a Predator on Ebay, $288 and has 3 custom tunes, 91 octane, 93 octane and 15 lb whipple. Has the scanner, datalog and recalibration ablity as well . By the way, this was brand new in the box.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can't speak for Diablo products since I do not sell them. In regards to the SCT flashers whether its the XCal 1 or 2 these are sold to SCT dealers blank. They are programmed by the selling dealer. Therefore its vital that the person who writes the calibration for your car is competent. I would advise anyone who is interested in this to take the time and engage the person who you are going to purchase this from before making decisions merely on price alone.

Building vehicle calibrations is a complex art. You can get a good 40-50whp out of the GT from doing this alone among changing a host of other settings as well. I flashed my car 5 minutes after I purchased it. Then again I get to do this for a living. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
I'd buy one from torrie or accufab, along with a pulley.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That's a great combo for an easy safe 620whp right there.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Additional info

This info has been very helpful to me as well. I am getting ready for a pulley and flash so it is timely. Torrie, when you reflashed yours, what other parameters did you change? IE fans etc?
Thanks
Don:thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Also, pull of the stock muffler and put on one of the after market pipes, saves weight and gets rid of heat, sounds better, easy to do.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Flash

I just bought an SCT from Jason Heffner and installed it two weeks ago. Had the car at the track this weekend. Did about 120 hard track miles and was very impressed with the improved performance. Torque and acceleration. Throttle response is also better than stock. Not sure what the HP gain was - but 40 to 50 would not surprise me. In the 1/2 mile straight we saw a speed increase of around 8-10 mph at the end. Color in the exhausts was much improved. Looked more like it should without all the black soot. The odd thing here is that the car ran cooler by about 10 degrees than in previous track days at the same ambient temperatures. Go figure?

(Flash) Gordon.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
The odd thing here is that the car ran cooler by about 10 degrees than in previous track days at the same ambient temperatures. Go figure
Probably programmed the fans to come on at a lower temperature. Is your car stock and was this a tune that you talked to him about to customize for you or is it a generic tune? Thanks

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
This info has been very helpful to me as well. I am getting ready for a pulley and flash so it is timely. Torrie, when you reflashed yours, what other parameters did you change? IE fans etc?
Thanks
Don:thumbsup
I make a lot of changes above and beyond the stock calibration. The low / hi speed fan temperature on / off temps I always alter. Unless otherwise specified by the customer.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Probably programmed the fans to come on at a lower temperature. Is your car stock and was this a tune that you talked to him about to customize for you or is it a generic tune? Thanks
I bet that is the case.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I had a diablosport predator for my Terminator. I hve never seen worse customer support. Beware.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
The SCT XCal 2 is a very nice and easy to use unit. If you buy it from Jack at Muscle Motors Performance, you'll get a tune to accomodate the stock parameters plus any exhaust changes you make. In addition, Jack provides custom tunes for any combination of gasoline octane, non-stock engine and exhaust modifications. You can get up to three "custom/aftermarket" tunes on the SCT. Jack also leaves a number of options open for you to program yourself...including RPM Ranges/Spark Timing, Cooling Fan Parameters, Top Speed Limitation, Rev Limiter and Tire Size Changes (in Rev/mile, 5 rev/mile increments). Jack has been a great resource, and always accomodating and willing to take time to discuss any questions/issues. So far, I have been very pleased in my dealings with him and MMP.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That echoes back to my original statement of finding a calibrator that is competent being the most important issue period when following this path. I alter those areas of the calibration plus a host more.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Sounds like Torrie wants to do a good job, has the time and the knowledge. Might be a good source.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Sounds like Torrie wants to do a good job, has the time and the knowledge. Might be a good source.

All I can do is my personal best. I probably have more seat time then most in these cars on the dyno and on the street with multiple combinations. There has been a laptop in the passenger seat of my car more then a person :biggrin

It is also why I offer a full refund on these. I either want someone to be 100% satisfied with my work or they get their money back.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Torrie, check your PM

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Done !