Latest battery recommendations

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Good info. Price? Thanks.
$323 which may be high but it has already shipped.

Reactions: DakotaGT

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Does the 50lb weight concern you?

Edit, the ODP-AGM25 is 46 pounds
Ford tried to get 50/50 weight distribution but couldn't quite get it, close though. Pull muffler and bumper, add heavier battery and I wonder where we're at.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I ordered a new genuine Ford GT Optima battery from Sanderson Ford just 6 months ago. Ford GT logo on the top. Why not go with the original since it's available right now. Pretty cool I thought.

Chip

Reactions: Pettyfan43

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When you use their battery finder it says nothing available for a Ford GT. Just sayin.....

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Gentlemen,

I ordered a new genuine Ford GT Optima battery from Sanderson Ford just 6 months ago. Ford GT logo on the top. Why not go with the original since it's available right now. Pretty cool I thought.

Chip
Optima has had a mixed history. Initially, they were the greatest thing going but then were sold and by all accounts became junk. Many, including well known GT resellers began using Odyssey known for use in tanks. I had them in 3 different GTs and never lost a gauge but it could be coincidence. For all I know, Optima has improved .

Reactions: analogdesigner

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ford tried to get 50/50 weight distribution but couldn't quite get it, close though. Pull muffler and bumper, add heavier battery and I wonder where we're at.

Don’t forget cast iron manifold delete. 😁

I was thinking more about R&R, but Odyssey does have a much better handle than the Optima. I use Odysseys in everything else.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rob, where did you read that Ford tried to get a 50/50 weight distribution? With a red mid-engine design, that would be very difficult. The stock muff is 54 bs. Even if you went to X-pipes and dropped 40 lbs from the rear, that barely nudges the weight distribution forward.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
My Optima is still alive after installing in 2017. It’s on a retainer after every drive. I just switch the labels to the OEM label.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Rob, where did you read that Ford tried to get a 50/50 weight distribution? With a red mid-engine design, that would be very difficult. The stock muff is 54 bs. Even if you went to X-pipes and dropped 40 lbs from the rear, that barely nudges the weight distribution forward.
I think it was in this book.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think it was in this book.
Cool Book. ordered! Thanks!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Cool Book. ordered! Thanks!
I think the story of the FE is in there. Something like, "we don't know if it'll live but all the other cars will blow up trying to keep up".

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Optima
Advanced Auto
Around $ 250
Make sure to check date of manufacture
First one they gave me was manufactured 7 months prior. Got them to get another one, with current month
For (semi) purists, peel off Ford label and apply. Voila! ( Wonder if they would pick up this approach at Pebble Beach? )

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How did you peel label? I tried mine and it cracked. I didn't try a heat on it first

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
How did you peel label? I tried mine and it cracked. I didn't try a heat on it first
If needed, $39 on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175695281909
batterydecal.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mine peeled off slowly. Intact.

Reactions: Art138

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Optimas are out of stock at Autozone. No restock date.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did you try O’Rielly’s?

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Just ordered from Amazon. $249+ tx, free shipping, get it tomorrow. :)

Reactions: 2112