[Questions] '05 Ford GT cylinder numbers and code reading

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That’s surprising, yet here we are. Noted now - only run 93. Now just need to buy a drum without ethanol..

Find an ethanol free gas station near you.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Find an ethanol free gas station near you.

Marinas, airports, and race tracks most often have it too if not on pure gas. It can be a long ways... the one in Vegas is gone since the last time I looked

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
Marinas, airports, and race tracks most often have it too if not on pure gas. It can be a long ways... the one in Vegas is gone since the last time I looked
Murphy (WalMart) gas stations where I live along the Gulf Coast of Florida/Alabama sell 93 octane ethanol-free.

BA.SE

Apr 10, 2020
Detroit, Mi
Theres a few gas stations that sell ethanol free fuels for recreational reasons. It isn't cheap, but is also further way from me than the stations that have 110 at the pump, lol. Its also more economical to just buy a drum or two of it - got a direct line with VP which is nice and other things about that would be using it. I already buy E85 by the drum so I've got an entire setup already for fueling.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I read an article about the use of higher octane than required and loss of power. The higher octane burns slower which is required to prevent detonation in that required application but might reduce power vs where 93 is required. Can it hurt, doubt it. Something to that effect.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
One add to nota4re's response: The GT does not have a knock sensor, so it can't sense knock and then retard the timing. That's why dyno tuning is very important, and why you need different tunes for different fuels.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Rob, higher octane fuel does not burn slower than lower octane fuel. This is a misunderstanding that has become widespread. There are small variations in how fast a fuel burns, but these differences depend more on the specific formulation of the hydrocarbons in the fuel, rather than the overall octane. And these differences are very small, so they do not appreciably affect the timing advance requirements.

The idea that higher octane fuel burns more slowly comes from a misunderstanding of how the fuel chemically alters as the pressure and temperature increase to form pre-ignition compounds, which then burn when the sharp increase in temperature of the flame front arrives. The formation of the pre-ignition compounds is slower, which reduces the tendency to detonate, but once the flame front arrives, it burns at the same speed.

Reactions: GT@50

BA.SE

Apr 10, 2020
Detroit, Mi
One add to nota4re's response: The GT does not have a knock sensor, so it can't sense knock and then retard the timing. That's why dyno tuning is very important, and why you need different tunes for different fuels.
Good to know. I assumed it would have one, kinda surprising it doesn’t. Oh well. Two drums of non-ethanol fuel is on the way and the new MAF just showed up. Weather is finally niceish around here so hopefully we’ll see how it goes tomorrow and if I have the time..

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Good to know. I assumed it would have one, kinda surprising it doesn’t. Oh well. Two drums of non-ethanol fuel is on the way and the new MAF just showed up. Weather is finally niceish around here so hopefully we’ll see how it goes tomorrow and if I have the time..
Yeah, I was a little surprised by that too, but it is what it is.

BA.SE

Apr 10, 2020
Detroit, Mi
Yeah, I was a little surprised by that too, but it is what it is.
Curious to know how it goes about ignition timing advance.

Anyway, the MAF solved most of the woes i was having. Starts stronger, revs immediately, doesn’t have any issues. BUT, code P0611 for Fuel Injector Control Module Performance seems to be a repeat offender. Sooooooo, gonna check out what was recommended and see where I get. Roads are still full of salt, so holding off until we get some rain to rinse it away.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Curious to know how it goes about ignition timing advance.

Anyway, the MAF solved most of the woes i was having. Starts stronger, revs immediately, doesn’t have any issues. BUT, code P0611 for Fuel Injector Control Module Performance seems to be a repeat offender. Sooooooo, gonna check out what was recommended and see where I get. Roads are still full of salt, so holding off until we get some rain to rinse it away.
1. Timing adaptives: The engines that adapt to octane use the knock sensors. It's mostly used for flex fuel engines (E10-E85)

2. P0611: How old is your battery?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
As I understand it, the timing is a map of RPM and load (from AF sensor), plus a throttle switch to signal full throttle.