Potential sell/auction and value of Twin Turbo Ford GT 17k miles

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
BJ is 10% buyer, 8% seller plus consignment fees. I have contact info for the guy that handled mine. I'll tell you they marketed the h*** out of it.

For single vehicles fees are non negotiable. I'd wager if you're selling a whole slew at once there might be some concessions

Last I saw BJ has gone back to strictly no reserve. I tried on mine but they pushed marketing over reserve.

I think BAT is a better choice now. When I did mine they were still figuring out high end vehicles and their reserve was actually quite alot lower than what BJ set.

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
There is NO RESERVE at all BJ. That’s what’s so different. As they say… all cars are literally for sale. 8% commission. The no reserve thing is frightening.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If they are chasing you, negotiate the commissions

Or more importantly, having a reserve.

Some cars have reserves at BJ.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Don't know about BJ, but I've found auction commissions are always negotiable, 5% easily attainable

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
So I have been contacted by BJ… thoughts??
Oops, wrong thread

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Or more importantly, having a reserve.

Some cars have reserves at BJ.

May have been so in the past but BJ is A NO RESERVE auction now. Look on their site and I spoke to my representative. F40 and multiple GTs for sale this weekend in Scottsdale with no reserve. They will be sold.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, a friend listed his GT500 SuperSnake at BJ No reserve.

His Friday night prime time slot turned out to be 10 minutes before 11pm.

It sold at just above 1/2 the house estimate.

I guess prime time was reserved for Ron Pratte and other Craig Jackson cronies.

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
What about Mecum? They seem to get good prices for GT's lately. They allow reserve and from my experience as a seller were great to work with.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

Yea that’s what’s scary!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

If you go back and review mine was also an underperformer. It was sandwiched between two 1M cars and was expected to get 450 (by it's placement and time). Didn't even come close. The guy that bought it (only one inhouse and one phone bidder) put it on a van and hauled to to Mecum Florida and sold it for a break even at best, probable loss if you stack up all his commissions. From FL it went to a collector's small museum where a private buyer got it. It had something like 50 miles added from the time I sold it til he got it...

Essentially auctions are a crap shoot... I can't tell you how many farm auctions I went to that buyers were the biggest winners.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd also be cautious that a modded car without takeoff parts will get less money (and thus, not the most desirable time slot) than an unmodded car.

Second, does the turbo conversion leave the catalytic converters intact? Without them your tune probably disables the catalytic converter and O2 emissions readiness tests (otherwise you'll have a permanent check engine light) and you will not be able to sell into CA, MA, NV and other states that use OBDII emissions and any other state that does a visual inspection for cats (CO for sure.)

With the mods I think you're probably right about BAT being the best venue.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yea there are no cats on my car! I’ve already had one CA person bail bc of emissions!!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If you go back and review mine was also an underperformer. It was sandwiched between two 1M cars and was expected to get 450 (by it's placement and time). Didn't even come close. The guy that bought it (only one inhouse and one phone bidder) put it on a van and hauled to to Mecum Florida and sold it for a break even at best, probable loss if you stack up all his commissions. From FL it went to a collector's small museum where a private buyer got it. It had something like 50 miles added from the time I sold it til he got it...

Essentially auctions are a crap shoot... I can't tell you how many farm auctions I went to that buyers were the biggest winners.
I was at BJ Vegas and upfront when your car rolled across the block. I remember your car was on the cover of the BJ catalogue so I figured it was going to go for decent bucks and that it should get right around the $450k mark as was estimated. After your car hammered, I couldn't believe a Heritage car could sell for such a price. I had just bought my white/blue car (with 16,000 miles on it) 6 months earlier for $230k. When your Heritage car sold for $295 + fees, I figured the FGT market was imploding and I felt a bit sick about it. Even though I bought my car to drive it and enjoy it, I didn't want to see the FGT market dump so soon after buying one. Boy was I wrong in my assessment.

In hind sight, I now realize that the BJ auction where you ran your car through turned out to be an anomaly and a bit of bad luck. Who would have thought that FGT prices would take a massive jump in the coming years. It is what it is I suppose.

If I had the desire to get a second FGT, I'd have a good look at this TT FGT. The price seems right and I'd just bring it up here to Alberta. Nobody gives a shit about vehicle emissions up here, after all, we are the producers of "dirty oil". "Clean oil" is much, much better for the planet.

QSS

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I was at BJ Vegas and upfront when your car rolled across the block. I remember your car was on the cover of the BJ catalogue so I figured it was going to go for decent bucks and that it should get right around the $450k mark as was estimated. After your car hammered, I couldn't believe a Heritage car could sell for such a price. I had just bought my white/blue car (with 16,000 miles on it) 6 months earlier for $230k. When your Heritage car sold for $295 + fees, I figured the FGT market was imploding and I felt a bit sick about it. Even though I bought my car to drive it and enjoy it, I didn't want to see the FGT market dump so soon after buying one. Boy was I wrong in my assessment.

In hind sight, I now realize that the BJ auction where you ran your car through turned out to be an anomaly and a bit of bad luck. Who would have thought that FGT prices would take a massive jump in the coming years. It is what it is I suppose.

If I had the desire to get a second FGT, I'd have a good look at this TT FGT. The price seems right and I'd just bring it up here to Alberta. Nobody gives a shit about vehicle emissions up here, after all, we are the producers of "dirty oil". "Clean oil" is much, much better for the planet.

QSS
Where in Alberta? I used to live there but gtfo back to the US.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I live in Canmore. No smog checks is a small victory for a petrolhead like me. Up here in the frozen Great White North, we take the small victories where ever and when ever we can get them :cool:.

Having said that, I'm heading for Scottsdale on Thursday to the Barrett Jackson show for some auto auction stimulation and to get the F out of this cold winter weather 🥶

QSS

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I remember your car was on the cover of the BJ catalogue

My jaw dropped when I saw the cover. They said nothing to me in advance. Craig said that set of photos were the best they'd seen. All they did was take out the parking lot stripe.

Attachments

• 20191001_102600.jpg
    20191001_102600.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 20

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"
Craig said that set of photos were the best they'd seen. .

ABS

Always be Selling.