Destroyed car right after auction

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I was looking at some auction sites and came across this gt

Less than 15 miles later, the car is totaled.

Anyone knows what happened?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I own that car and it has a clean title. Guy ate the claim on it so there was no total loss with insurance company. I have a brand new chassis and all new parts for it. Just sitting in line to be built with the other 3 I’m doing and all 3 are bare chassis builds.

Owner stated he smashed the throttle in second gear with another guy in the car and car went sideways and that’s all she wrote.

When I sell this car I will be actively looking for a yellow no stripe car as I am after all 7 of them and have 3 already. Would love to take a shot at the Barrett Jackson car coming up but done think I can do it in next two months.

This car was super clean, I’ll build it out in any color also for someone.

Dan

Reactions: Natee

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Ooch!
Should buff right out!
M

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
GAA listing says "This Car Has Approximately 4900 Miles and Still Sports its Original Tires" :unsure:

@B.M.F. Did the car come in with its 15 year old tires still on?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I own that car and it has a clean title. Guy ate the claim on it so there was no total loss with insurance company. I have a brand new chassis and all new parts for it. Just sitting in line to be built with the other 3 I’m doing and all 3 are bare chassis builds.

Owner stated he smashed the throttle in second gear with another guy in the car and car went sideways and that’s all she wrote.

When I sell this car I will be actively looking for a yellow no stripe car as I am after all 7 of them and have 3 already. Would love to take a shot at the Barrett Jackson car coming up but done think I can do it in next two months.

Dan

I am new here. Do you professionally rebuild cars? Amazed that it can be done.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
GAA listing says "This Car Has Approximately 4900 Miles and Still Sports its Original Tires" :unsure:

@B.M.F. Did the car come in with its 15 year old tires still on?

It did have good years: did not check date codes yet

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I am new here. Do you professionally rebuild cars? Amazed that it can be done.

I do. I’m building 3 cars right now that are bare chassis builds. 2 are my own and 1 is a forum members car. You can take a pretty wrecked car and fix it with a chassis and new parts. This black car looked way worse than it does apart.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Dan

Do you mind stating his insurance company? Sounds like their payout was less than you paid him.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Do you mind stating his insurance company? Sounds like their payout was less than you paid him.

No he ate 275k IMO... He was worried about his insurance going up, so he didn’t file a claim. Maybe wrote the loss off on his taxes? Idk

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
He must have a hell of an insurance bill if $275,000 was lower than the increase of premiums would be.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
He must have a hell of an insurance bill if $275,000 was lower than the increase of premiums would be.

Not really but it was his decision, so can’t fault him for it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The loss wouldn’t have been 275K because the salvage value of the car probably was 150K+

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The loss wouldn’t have been 275K because the salvage value of the car probably was 150K+

I paid 76k for the car.. it was at the high end of values as it was mint.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Boy I must be misunderstanding something. Are you saying the owner crashed the car and then accepted $76k for it rather than presumably around $300k+/- from his insurance company? ... to avoid the car being declared totaled, and save on future insurance premiums?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Boy I must be misunderstanding something. Are you saying the owner crashed the car and then accepted $76k for it rather than presumably around $300k+/- from his insurance company? ... to avoid the car being declared totaled, and save on future insurance premiums?

Yes.. he listed the car with copart and I met him afterwards when his name was on the title, it was clear and he explained it all to me.

Car has a car fax with a accident and states rear. Win win for me. Then new chassis, new parts and will make a like new car for someone.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

I wasn’t kidding when I said he took a 275k hit on the car.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Strange, why have the insurance?

Reactions: HNS

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I smell a rat

Reactions: Niobond500 and HNS

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Strange, why have the insurance?
I'm in the same situation (but certainly not on the same scale). On a road trip we hit a section of a road that had just been chip sealed. Our daily driver Honda took a litle beating - windshield, some chips down to metal in the paint, a light. Comprehensive claim. Agent told me that even with a $500 deductible unless the damage is about $5000 it's not worth it. Any claim, even on comprehensive, will mark us for a rate increase that will exceed $500/year and take 5 years (used to be 3) to erase. So I'll get the glass fixed (maybe, it'll eventually break in the Vegas heat), probably get the paint chips "fixed" and replace the light lens myself. I'm going to raise my deductible. People are saying the same now about homeowners claims.

My daddy told me that if you want to get rich be a bank or an insurance company. They never ever lose money (unless badly mismanaged).

I'm sure if I totaled my GT that I would have been scarred for life.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I'm in the same situation (but certainly not on the same scale). On a road trip we hit a section of a road that had just been chip sealed. Our daily driver Honda took a litle beating - windshield, some chips down to metal in the paint, a light. Comprehensive claim. Agent told me that even with a $500 deductible unless the damage is about $5000 it's not worth it. Any claim, even on comprehensive, will mark us for a rate increase that will exceed $500/year and take 5 years (used to be 3) to erase. So I'll get the glass fixed (maybe, it'll eventually break in the Vegas heat), probably get the paint chips "fixed" and replace the light lens myself. I'm going to raise my deductible. People are saying the same now about homeowners claims.

My daddy told me that if you want to get rich be a bank or an insurance company. They never ever lose money (unless badly mismanaged).

I'm sure if I totaled my GT that I would have been scarred for life.

It can go up 25% for up to 5 years. I’ve always been the person that saves the claims for large claims. Eat the small ones, but they can pay on a large one..

Reactions: PeteK and extrap