Market timing is bad

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Desneux Motorsports has two GTs (assuming he hasn't sold em in the past week) that were $409k, now $425k. It feels like they're going up daily right now. How long it'll continue, nobody knows.

Gotta be an interesting situation when you have something for sale, it hasn't sold and yet you raise the price 🤔

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Gotta be an interesting situation when you have something for sale, it hasn't sold and yet you raise the price 🤔

The exact methodology used in selling North Idaho Lakefront property.

It seems to be very effective.

Reactions: extrap

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I would also check Bring a Trailer (BAT), there are a few GTs being auctioned as of this writing.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I would also check Bring a Trailer (BAT), there are a few GTs being auctioned as of this writing.

I did but i am not an auction type of guy. Dont want to spend 300k+ without a proper ppi

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I did but i am not an auction type of guy. Dont want to spend 300k+ without a proper ppi

Well, with BaT you do have a week. I've inspected several BaT cars during the auction period. And instead of asking questions with the inane peanut gallery of 14 year olds asking for in-car videos of burnouts, use the "Contact seller" black button, email the seller, get his phone number, and talk one on one.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas

Smart philosophy....I had the best experiences working directly with owners. I think you get a more complete truth, more time to go through the process, there aren't 10 guys standing next to you trying to buy it, and no shills artificially driving up prices.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
So do you guys think i should just pull the trigger or hold my breath?

also any recommended ppi guy in FL?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
So do you guys think i should just pull the trigger or hold my breath?

also any recommended ppi guy in FL?

I'm a different kind of buyer, every dollar counts.....and if I bought a FGT today that took a $50k dump in 6 months, I would sour on the ownership experience. From what I'm seeing, the general recent rise is 20% almost across the board (but FGTs were going up before this, the low point being mid 2019 IMO). So if the 20% fits comfortably in your budget, and the possibility of losing it is OK why not?

For a PPI, you always have the option of bringing Rich Brooks in.

Reactions: Cadster

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I do not see the value of these cars going down anytime in the future. With inflation coming I would pull the trigger when you find the right car.

Reactions: Cadster and PeteK

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'm a different kind of buyer, every dollar counts.....and if I bought a FGT today that took a $50k dump in 6 months, I would sour on the ownership experience.

Like just about any European luxury/sports car before we started printing 2-3 extra $trillion every year?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Like just about any European luxury/sports car before we started printing 2-3 extra $trillion every year?

what do you mean by this? Do you mean sportscar prices dropping when covid started?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas

Buying new cars is a different story because you KNOW depreciation is coming, but no I don't buy new cars either.

Besides, I specifically stated Ford GT....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
what do you mean by this? Do you mean sportscar prices dropping when covid started?

No, I mean before there was a shortage of everything, including new and pre-owned cars, you could expect huge depreciation on your upmarket European car purchase.

With our money's value shrinking, that is not so much of an issue now days.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas

So you have a had a couple of pages of opinions at this point, which way are you leaning? Does your budget support the current floor of $325k+ (the current lowest price on car gurus is $359k ask for a 7k mile car)?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Keep looking. There are cars with 10K+ miles for sale privately under $300K. But given recent trends, don’t delay. When you find the car you like, inspect it, buy it, and don’t look back. Then drive it and don’t worry about what the market is. If you “save it for the next guy” you’ll regret not driving it more.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
When a repaired '05 yellow GT sells for $366K, an 11k-mile 4-owner '06 Heritage sells for $454,900, and a 4,500-mile '06 black is $305k with 2 days to go ... it kinda feels like ya wanna buy ASAP before it gets worse. (I included the $5k fee in all of those figures)

But again, who knows. A big crash could change everything.

Reactions: Cadster

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
When a repaired '05 yellow GT sells for $366K, an 11k-mile 4-owner '06 Heritage sells for $454,900, and a 4,500-mile '06 black is $305k with 2 days to go ... it kinda feels like ya wanna buy ASAP before it gets worse. (I included the $5k fee in all of those figures)

But again, who knows. A big crash could change everything.

My good friend/customer Todd who had owned the heritage, sold that car for about 350k in may of 2015.. He's into the heritage we built him for 220ish and now has a car he can drive and enjoy for half the money. He only put a 1000 miles on the other heritage and loves he can just drive the wheels of this car.

I don't think having a fender and a bumper put on that yellow car was gonna hurt the sale of it with that low of miles. It probably would not of brought alot more with out the damage history..

That black car has 40-70k to go yet imo.

Reactions: extrap

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I don't think having a fender and a bumper put on that yellow car was gonna hurt the sale of it with that low of miles. It probably would not of brought alot more with out the damage history..

Did you see the pictures? It was more than just that....

Reactions: Cadster and extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Any damage that just requires replacing parts and painting would not adversely influence me, if the work was properly done. If it requires welding on the frame, then I get concerned (and I walked away from one of those 8 years ago). If the GT Guy fixed it, I’d deduct points and gladly buy it.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Prices are getting crazy out there. Normally I'd say go for it, but this is out of control. There are cars on Ebay with 10k-ish miles for mid $400's

Reactions: Shark01