24H LE MANS-- Keating Ford Stripped of Le Mans GTE-Am Win

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Close racing by the rule book. Not.

DQ for .6 of minute too quick on fueling and 6oz more than allowed in fuel tank.

🎅 came early for the new first place.

Keating Team is still the winner.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
As the saying goes "absolute power corrupts absolutely". There needs to be changes on whom and how the powers that be are selected and put into position if the 24 Hour is going to even exist into the future. Not only are they disruptive to racing but from a very reliable source I hear they are burning the city of Lemans, even though they are the hosts of the scrutineering and drivers parade.
This is definitely going to hurt tourism and have a negative effect to the merchants in the area. One day again the ACO will run out of money, and this time I would not give them a bail out and completely restructure there political alagarc.
Still here in Lemans, really pissed off and very very disappointed! I hope they rescind this decision.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Dear American friends.

Like you, I deeply regret the decisions taken by the ACO against the Ford GT, for which I have at least as much affection as you.

BUT, I am equally shocked by the brutality of your judgments and accusations, as well as by a bad anti-European scent.

I understand an anger that I share, but a little distance and a little nuance would be welcome.

It would be unfortunate if our passionate world were won by the unhealthy but fashionable idea that "Europe would become the enemy of the USA ».

Best regards from France.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
So, the cars go through scrutineering pre-race, and the GTs were apparently legal coz they passed. Now, post-race they are no longer kosher. So, either the teams somehow added a tiny amount of extra fual capacity as a way of cheating, or the officials were looking for a way to change the outcome of the race. I know which option I believe......

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Dear American friends.

Like you, I deeply regret the decisions taken by the ACO against the Ford GT, for which I have at least as much affection as you.

BUT, I am equally shocked by the brutality of your judgments and accusations, as well as by a bad anti-European scent.

I understand an anger that I share, but a little distance and a little nuance would be welcome.

It would be unfortunate if our passionate world were won by the unhealthy but fashionable idea that "Europe would become the enemy of the USA ».

I think our vitriol is aimed at the archaic ACO, not at the French people, the people of Le Mans, or the EU in general. We would be just as mad, if IMSA sanctioned the cars in the same manner.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Dear American friends.

Dear Saint HO - The disappointment in the post race technical review, with the resulting penalties, was a shock to GT fans. The seeming minuscule "errors" of a total of 11 seconds in a 24 hour race and having 6 ounces too much fuel in the system should not , by most standards of fairness, resulted in a DQ. The FIA/ACO has a known history of uneven enforcement, and to those who who follow their rulings, that seem to favor European teams and harshly penalize teams from the USA.

As has been said before racing can be cruel. I'm hopeful, as always, the the anger you noted was never intended to be anti-european in general, but specifically aimed at the organizsers and rules makers.

Best Regards from USA

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Despite the ruling of the FIA/ACO, nothing can take away the feeling Ben, his crew, and the GT fans experienced when he crossed the finish line in first place. Nor can they take away the first class manner in which Ben accepted the ruling.

5d08418f7fa69.image.jpg

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
That certainly helps us European aliens here not feeling unloved. Glad you pointed that out.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Close racing by the rule book. Not.

DQ for .6 of minute too quick on fueling and 6oz more than allowed in fuel tank.

🎅 came early for the new first place.

Keating Team is still the winner.
Very glad now that we (Ford) are done with Lemans and France and all the European "hate America bullshit."
I for one will never visit France or Europe again. I do not need the European hate directed at me as an American.
And (ajb)

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I think that's exactly what they want us to do, not come back. From some of the recent scuttlebutt about several privateer teams inquiring about running a GT and the Keating car coming across the line in first, has them genuinely concerned Ford will dominate. Never never etc etc give up! Winston Churchill.

Reactions: THamonGT

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
So, the cars go through scrutineering pre-race, and the GTs were apparently legal coz they passed. Now, post-race they are no longer kosher. So, either the teams somehow added a tiny amount of extra fual capacity as a way of cheating, or the officials were looking for a way to change the outcome of the race. I know which option I believe......
and if the officials knew that the fuel stops were .X of a second too short, why weren't they assessed a penalty at the first infraction? Sure looks like the officials held it as an insurance policy for after the race.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Very glad now that we (Ford) are done with Lemans and France and all the European "hate America bullshit."
I for one will never visit France or Europe again. I do not need the European hate directed at me as an American.
And (ajb)

Be assured nobody hates you, it’s not something europeans usually do. We might be confused about differing point of view, especially current politics ticks us off, but we love to discuss that. Antiamericanism in Europe is overrated imho. And if you think we are critical, yes that’s true, but we are critical towards our systems as well. From a German point of view, we aren‘t cheering current state of affairs but looking for optimization potential :p

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Wow guys! Take it easy!! Mr Keating acknowledged the problem graciously and looking forward to going back! In my mind I will always see his car at the checkered flag!
Totally agree with brombear about European sentiment (May have something to go my wife is from France and I spend allot of time there). They are very critical , my son calls the French , frustrated perfectionists! . Let’s not generalize. It’s a car race...

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Brombär, well written, agreed.
And I believe Mr Keating has the right aproach, come back to Lemans and win AGAIN!

Reactions: Apollo and Vince H

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I don't feel it's a car race any longer. Too many restrictions... Rules that make no sense. Who cares how long you stop for fuel or how much you put in as long as they all have the option to have the same size tank. If you can do it quicker than the others great. This whole system throws all new technology in the trash can. It's suppose to be a race right. Set the specs on the cars and let everyone bring their best and let them race.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I remember well the worst treatment I ever got as an American living in Europe for 18 years.

I was walking in Paris and got a bit lost. I asked a gendarme, "Ou est le métro?" He smirked and said "Souterrain." I didn't understand him and repeated my question. "Souterrain" he repeated and pointed down.

Later I learned that "souterrain" means "underground." :LOL:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is bad blood right now between Ford and the ACO/WEC, it's been brewing for a while, and Keating/Wynn got particularly nailed in the crossfire. Everyone that races, works on, supports the cars and the efforts is a casualty of those politics, but that's a story for another day. I don't think anyone thought the mandatory fascia change and then the stop and go were anything but a prelude to the ultimate result dictated for the Keating car. It's a real shame, but it is what it is. You have to feel for everyone associated with the #85 effort, especially the beaming drivers who were so spent and thrilled in the aftermath of the race, and those guys just didn't deserve what they got.

This year should have been the pinnacle of factory GTE racing. It was a really incredible visual to see them all together. 4 Porsches, 4 Fords, 2 Corvettes, 2 Aston Martins, 3 Ferraris, 2 BMWs. I thought most of the cars could at least be competitive with this BoP, but it was irrelevant because one year after completely destroying the GTE-Pro race with a safety car a few hours in, they destroyed the GTE-Pro race with safety cars again. You cannot gift someone a 5 minute lead based on circumstances wildly out of their control and expect people to be pleased with the result. There are so many ways to fix it but they just can't do it. Mathematically, if you get separated by 90 seconds or more, you're almost guaranteed to get hit with a poorly placed safety car again at some point, which is exactly what happened to what, like 14 of the cars? Sorry fellas, race over unless those guys way up there crash.

Hundreds of millions of cumulative dollars and thousands of people who work their asses off to produce these efforts, and this is the kind of stuff that decides it. Regardless of the corporate drama, it's just sad for the people on the ground.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very well said Dave, Ben And his crew will always be champions in the eyes of the Ford GT fans of the world and the Ford GT Forum Members. 98176E34-FBC6-477B-90A7-ECAD7D8447C6.jpegThank You Ben for allowing our Ford GT Forum Name on the back of the fastest Ford Race Car In it’s class.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My thoughts exactly Dave. What's the point of working so hard to balance the field with BOP and then sticking a safety car in the middle of the field and completely separating the racers? Seems counterproductive to great in-class racing.