Importing US car to Canada. Is it complicated?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask anyone who has first hand or second hand experience with importing US car to Canada.

4420970388adef703aa9ef188be224eecbda1a4c2ed4ec7ddba1b9187d9cc3a83cdeabda.jpg

Being a US made car, it is duty free to import it.

But, what gets me is that I heard the car should be

1) equipped with DRL

2) be free of airbag recalls

If anyone know any more about this, please let me know.

Thank you.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That is correct. The Canadian cars also had beefed up bumpers. There is an older thread here about importing. Search can be your friend.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
That is correct. The Canadian cars also had beefed up bumpers. There is an older thread here about importing. Search can be your friend.

Thank you. I tried searching the forum and google but just couldn't find a thread regarding exporting to Canada (found one for exporting to US). Would you mind leading me to the right direction? (any search keyword I am missing?)

I understand that Canadian cars were beefed up with thicker bumper and etc and lower value from it. Does the US car needed to be modified for such purpose? Or, just DRL.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Search on this forum is NOT friendly.

Here's one: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/18174-Importing-USA-GT-s-to-Canada. See post #6.

Sounds like the bumpers are not a problem. Just turn the DRLs on and get proof the air bag recall was completed.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Here's one: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/18174-Importing-USA-GT-s-to-Canada. See post #6.

Sounds like the bumpers are not a problem. Just turn the DRLs on and get proof the air bag recall was completed.

Thank you sir!!!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

Agree totally. Very frustrating trying to find something using the Forum search function. A while ago, Xcentric posted about using a Google search on the Forum rather than the Forum search function. Google search worked much better on the Forum, but I don't remember how to do it now.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
PM me and I can likely help you out.....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
He's a spectator.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Agree totally. Very frustrating trying to find something using the Forum search function. A while ago, Xcentric posted about using a Google search on the Forum rather than the Forum search function. Google search worked much better on the Forum, but I don't remember how to do it now.
site:fordgtforum.com import canada

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

PM sent :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Ah cool. I thought spectators could not send PMs.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't think they can. It just goes through the motions.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Please let me know if you didn't get my PM. I think I can reply to PM but not send one?

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
DRL's on my import could not be turned on. Had to rig up a relay to turn on the fog lights as DRL's

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I don't think they can. It just goes through the motions.

Frank....FWIW..the PM function works both directions for spectators as well.....at least it did today.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I have been looking into buying a 2005 FGT from a kind FGTF member but the headache of exporting car to Canada while moving seemed like a huge task for me (including getting DRL fixed and etc).

I am open to all leads on Canadian GTs.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
There are a bunch on Hemmings in Canada, and LMC in Milton, Ont has a few in stock including a Heritage

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
There are a bunch on Hemmings in Canada, and LMC in Milton, Ont has a few in stock including a Heritage

I've looked into Hemmings. 2 at LMC which were modified and not to my liking. 1 at Winnipeg which is out of my budget. Kicking myself for missing one being sold by RL member last year. :'(

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
I have been looking into buying a 2005 FGT from a kind FGTF member but the headache of exporting car to Canada while moving seemed like a huge task for me (including getting DRL fixed and etc).

I am open to all leads on Canadian GTs.

text me at 9732703608

Bill