Help needed with Ford GT Hub Assy.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
hello all:
Looking for a wheel hub assembly for the GT. what I need is a bad one believe it or not. Ford is on indefinite back order on new ones and I have a source who can replace the bearing which is the part that goes bad. in case you don't understand which part I am referring to, it is the hub that the wheel bolts to with the studs. these are removable from the aluminum upright knuckle and is the same on all 4 corners of the car. Ford had the insight to use the same hub on all 4 corners even though the hubs are all splined for the rear axles only and that part doesn't get used for the front. Just need a frozen up or noisey hub. will replace it with a fresh rebuilt unit when I send it back to you.
and please, no Explorer hubs or explanation that they are the same. they are not! thanks for any help my GT brothers can provide. scott

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I have 4 with 8000miles on them, but they were underwater for 2 days. They are in Saskatchewan, can sent one if you wish.
Joe

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I have 4 with 8000miles on them, but they were underwater for 2 days. They are in Saskatchewan, can sent one if you wish.
Joe

Man, there's gotta be a great story that comes with the hubs!

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Enquiring minds want too know ................

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Man, there's gotta be a great story that comes with the hubs!

It is a bad luck/ good luck story. When downtown Calgary, Alberta was flooded it was bad luck for the original owner of this car and his insurance company. It was however lucky for me as I was able to afford an incredible car (with issues). I have since disassembled the car, replaced any parts that I had concerns with and reassembled it. Still a few things to do but most of the work is done. The GT really is an easy car to work on (with the service manual, the technical information in this Forum and the help of members on the Forum).
The help of CanadaGT (advice and parts), tmcphail (majority of new parts, turned out to be cheaper and faster to purchase parts from Torrie even with shipping to Canada), NorthwoodGT (short block - car froze after being flooded before I purchased it), GTG (advice and clamshell lever), nota4re (oil cooler) and my local Ford dealer (program computer) made this project much simpler.
The hubs were one of the items that I replaced.
Joe

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
joe- didn't realize this was you on the forum when you came out and got the short block. best of luck getting her back together. very interesting story. I now remember you telling me about that. probably a good idea to have changed the hubs. how far up did the water get? I'd be suspicious if any water got into the transaxle as well. thanks for sharing. scott

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Water did get in the transaxle. Luckily it did no damage. For anyone who decides to purchase the axle shaft seals from Ford they come as a kit with 2 seals and the installation tool.
Scott did you find a hub? Another forum member would take them if you don't need them.
Joe

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Timken is now listing the hub assembly as an aftermarket supply part.

TIMKEN Part # HA590342Timken Hub for GT.jpg

Does this look like the right part? They show as available for $86 and fit all 4 wheels.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
buy one and see

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Timken is now listing the hub assembly as an aftermarket supply part.

TIMKEN Part # HA590342View attachment 37287

Does this look like the right part? They show as available for $86 and fit all 4 wheels.

Timken HA590342 = Ford GT OEM 4G7Z1104AA HUB ASY - WHEEL, $85.79 at Rock Auto.

Everything you always wanted to know about GT hubs.
ABS/Non-ABS (Y/N)
Y
ABS Type
SENSOR
Bearing Type
BALL
Bolt Circle Diameter B (in)
Bolt Circle Diameter H (in)
Bolt Quantity
M12x1.75
Bolt Size (in)
Brake Pilot Dia (in)
Driven_Non Driven
Driven
Flange (#)
Flange Diameter (in)
Flange Offset (in)
Flange Shape
Modified
Hub Pilot Dia G (in)
Roll Form (Y)
Y
Spline Quantity
Wheel Pilot Dia (mm)
Wheel Studs (Y/N)
Y
Wheel Stud Qty
Wheel Stud Size (in)

Last edited:

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
hello all:
Looking for a wheel hub assembly for the GT. what I need is a bad one believe it or not. Ford is on indefinite back order on new ones and I have a source who can replace the bearing which is the part that goes bad. in case you don't understand which part I am referring to, it is the hub that the wheel bolts to with the studs. these are removable from the aluminum upright knuckle and is the same on all 4 corners of the car. Ford had the insight to use the same hub on all 4 corners even though the hubs are all splined for the rear axles only and that part doesn't get used for the front. Just need a frozen up or noisey hub. will replace it with a fresh rebuilt unit when I send it back to you.
and please, no Explorer hubs or explanation that they are the same. they are not! thanks for any help my GT brothers can provide. scott
I have 2 laying around that are in perfect shape, came off of a 2k mile parts car.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If northwoodGT does not take both of them, how much are you asking for the other one?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I just had some rebuilt with ceramic bearings! Not cheap but wait for the video on how the wheel will free wheel versus oe bearing..

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Timken HA590342 = Ford GT OEM 4G7Z1104AA HUB ASY - WHEEL, $85.79 at Rock Auto.

Everything you always wanted to know about GT hubs.
ABS/Non-ABS (Y/N)
Y
ABS Type
SENSOR
Bearing Type
BALL
Bolt Circle Diameter B (in)
Bolt Circle Diameter H (in)
Bolt Quantity
M12x1.75
Bolt Size (in)
Brake Pilot Dia (in)
Driven_Non Driven
Driven
Flange (#)
Flange Diameter (in)
Flange Offset (in)
Flange Shape
Modified
Hub Pilot Dia G (in)
Roll Form (Y)
Y
Spline Quantity
Wheel Pilot Dia (mm)
Wheel Studs (Y/N)
Y
Wheel Stud Qty
Wheel Stud Size (in)

Just letting the forum know, RockAuto just informed me these are now available and in stock. Yes, these are for the Ford GT and Timken is the OEM supplier. $84.79 each.

So if you need some new hubs or just want a couple spares, now is the time.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
$84.79 is just for the bearing right?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Dang. Sounds too good to be true...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Comes off of a '72 Pinto

just kidding

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Has anyone looked at these dimensions - View attachment 38186

A 12 foot (144") flange diameter??? !!

View attachment 38187

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Like a hub should cost more than $90? Really?

BTW, if you search for these hubs on the web, some sites list them as front only. This is wrong. All four hubs are the same.

I can't imagine there is a high failure rate.