How do you know if a Cobra is real?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
To the left of our GT is a real 64 289 Cobra. We did a blog series on the ownership of the car. This was from a car show this weekend in Indy. 3 GT's, Cobra, 458 cpe, 458 Spider, F Dino, and some other nice rides.

What a great looking slabside.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I might be wrong, but I like to look at the pin hole and how it is mounted, that the top would insert into. This is right at the door opening, so you don't look like you are picking the guys car apart. (pet peeve).

Steve

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
View attachment 28995To the left of our GT is a real 64 289 Cobra. We did a blog series on the ownership of the car. This was from a car
show this weekend in Indy. 3 GT's, Cobra, 458 cpe, 458 Spider, F Dino, and some other nice rides.

Geez, is that a F-86 Sabre? Is it static or did they fire up that old GE jet engine! Too cool.

Ed

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
Geez, is that a F-86 Sabre? Is it static or did they fire up that old GE jet engine! Too cool.

Ed

Ed, it is and they did not fire it up. Great backdrop for the show. It was owned by the late Tom Wood (big car dealer here) and his family is now maintaining the fleet. I think his son was a fighter pilot as well. These are some ofthe planes:

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/Airshows 2011/metro-2011.htm
http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/p51news/wood_020410.php

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
TwoShelbys is correct:

Times have changed. Shelby began continuing production of the Cobras back in 1996. The Continuation cars have a prefix of CSX4xxx or CSX6xxx or CSX7xxx, CSX8xxx or CSX1xxx depending on model. A minority of continuation Cobras are manufactured in aluminum like the original series. They are not replicas but genuine Cobras but not of the original series which were manuafactured from 1962 to 1968 with vin prefixes CSX3xxx (427) or CSX2xxx (289).

It is somewhat analogous to the original Ford GT/GT40 and our FGT. The original was made in 60's the modern reissue made in 2005-2006.

The Cobra in the pic certainly appears to be an original with all the right hallmarks. It is a street version (most replicas copy the S/C); the fuel cap is the proper cap for a 427 street car. A few more pics of the engine compartment, trunk and rear trunk will help for sure. If a Vin can be supplied that would answer the question right away.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Times have changed. Shelby began continuing production of the Cobras back in 1996. The Continuation cars have a prefix of CSX4xxx or CSX6xxx or CSX7xxx, CSX8xxx or CSX1xxx depending on model. A minority of continuation Cobras are manufactured in aluminum like the original series. They are not replicas but genuine Cobras but not of the original series which were manuafactured from 1962 to 1968 with vin prefixes CSX3xxx (427) or CSX2xxx (289).

Don't start that fight here. :lol. Production of the "real" Cobras ended in the '60s, period. All the Cobras made thereafter, including the Shelby cars, are replicas.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Not starting any fight. You made a statement. I responded by stating facts. What i stated is also consistent with SAAC's position. You may consult the Registry if you like. You of course are entitled to your opinion and entitled to disagree but that doesn't change the status of the newer Cobras as " genuine" Cobras as accepted by the leading authority on the subject.

Also based on your opinion/view you would have a replica of a real GT since the only real GTs were made in the 60's. Yes? Just say'n. ; )

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Like the S197 Mustang, new age Beetle/Mini Cooper, BMW Z8, Challenger et al., the Ford GT shares nothing with the original car except a basic design. Like the other cars mentioned, the Ford GT is an entirely new vehicle and not a replica.

If Ford had rebadged a Superformance GT40 MkI as a Ford GT40, rather than build the car we own and enjoy, would it be a "genuine" GT40 or a replica of a car made in the '60s? If Rick Kopec and crew said it was or wasn't genuine, would it matter?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yes, to a vast number of people it would matter. SAAC is considered far and away the leading authority on all things Cobra and Shelby related including GT40s etc...You may disagree with them but I'd be willing to wager most would value and accept their position over yours. In fact SAAC has accepted the current FGT in the pantheon of Ford GTs. I'm sure you accept their position and recognition of the modern crop of GTs ...so you reject it as to the current crop of Shelby Cobras?

The S197 Mustangs, Beetle, Challenger, Mini and GT are all genuine articles, ie they are irrefutably Mustangs, Minis,Beetles etc. Manufactured by the original company or its legitimate successor. They clearly replicate and intentionally designed to do so the original series to the exent modern safety regulations and market studies allow. The original GT40 was officially known as the Ford GT not GT40 which it became known as. In fact didn't Ford even try and acquire the GT40 nomenclature for the GT? Yes they did. Is not the FGT a real modern reincarnation of the original and intended to be so. Clearly, undeniably and irrefutably yes.

By your logic the new Cobras are more of the genuine article than the FGT because they are in fact built to the exact or nearly the exact spec as the originals.

My issue with your statements is not with the term "replica". That term has in fact been popularly misused and misapplied in the world of "Cobras". Look up the term in Websters and read the Registry. My issue is with your assertion that the only real Cobras were made in the '60s. If you are willing to ascribe to that logic then I'm sure you have no issue with the assertion that the only real Ford GTs were made in the '60s?

You are confusing genuine with original. I will agree with you all day long that the only original series Cobras were made in the '60s.

Regardless of your opinion the facts are I own a genuine Shelby Cobra and genuine Ford GT and so do the others who have purchased these cars. They may not be originals from the 60s but they sure as hell are a genuine of what they purport to be ie. a new Ford GT and a Shelby Cobra. Both SAAC and the MSOs said so.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Your points are all well taken, but you didn't answer the first question.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
My answer is that if Ford had re-badged the Superformance/Safir GT40s and by rebadging them accepted them as GT40s they in my view would be genuine GT40s and "replicas" of the original series. Real GT40s none the less.

In fact, as I understand the original Mark I and Mark IIs were not completely American Ford products having been based off of Eric Broadleys Lola and built by Ford's Special vehicle team in England.

Only the Mark IV was a truly all American design, construction and effort. If I am wrong about this please clear me up on this.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Just as an aside, Ford is an international company, and in the '60s built both English and German Fords. To say that any Ford must be only an "American" design is not logical. True, Ford bought the Lola design from Eric Broadley, and then set up Ford Advanced Vehicles (FAV) in England. As the initial reason was to build a car capable of winning Le Mans, and to effect the knowledge transfer, this seemed to be a logical decision at the time, and was not initially presumed to take 2½ years to accomplish. The Mark II's that ran and won Le Mans in 1966 were and English/American hybrid, having an English-made chassis with American engines and transmissions, and run by different teams from a number of nations (USA/England/France). It is true that the 1967 Mark IV's was an All-American effort, which was based upon all the knowledge gained with the Mark I and II programs.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Ralphie: You are correct. Also I am not saying any Ford must be an "all American" design. The fact remains that the GT was based on an English design and was a hybrid of American and Brit in MkI and MkII form. The MkIV was the first and only all American GT.

I pointed that out to make my point before that a GT can be a genuine GT even if not completely of American Ford blood.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My answer is that if Ford had re-badged the Superformance/Safir GT40s and by rebadging them accepted them as GT40s they in my view would be genuine GT40s and "replicas" of the original series.

So they would be genuine GT40 replicas of cars which ended production in the '60s. No?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yes, they would be genuine Ford GT40s that replicate the original seriess produced in the 60s.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
If the Cobra is worth less than 200k it is not real :)

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
There's a thoughtful and non arbitrary approach. Lol.

There's one in every crowd.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A minority of continuation Cobras are manufactured in aluminum like the original series. They are not replicas but genuine Cobras but not of the original series which were manuafactured from 1962 to 1968 with vin prefixes CSX3xxx (427) or CSX2xxx (289).

My answer is that if Ford had re-badged the Superformance/Safir GT40s and by rebadging them accepted them as GT40s they in my view would be genuine GT40s and "replicas" of the original series.

Just say'n :)

On a final note, it doesn't matter to me one way or another whether your Cobra is or is not a replica, but I don't mind a little intellectual jousting on trivial matters. It keeps our brains from getting addled and is much more fun than my day job. I certainly understand and appreciate why it is important to you that your Cobra is a Shelby. In any event, the weather is getting nice and you should be out driving your genuine replica Cobra rather than arguing with me. :lol

Last edited:

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks Sinovac for diplomatically ending the duel...thought I was on club cobra for a second.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
That's a nice kit car you have there!