Need some help. Clamshell latch will not release

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The passenger side clamshell latch will not release. Acts as if the cable is no longer connected to the latch, either detached or cable broken. No odd behavior prior, latches always worked smoothly. Have tried several ways to jiggle, press down etc while pulling release, but its not trying to move, no resistance on cable.

OK, how does one get to the latch to release it so I can fix or replace? IE how do I get the clamshell open now? I see two possibilities, neither of which look promising. Take the belly pans off and try to reach it from the bottom with some sort of tool but its doubtful I could get enough leverage from that far away to open it. The other way looks like removing the glass behind the driver. Is that possible with no access from the rear and without breaking it?

I am all ears for the experts on the forum. Really need a way out here.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Don't know if there is enough room to get up to the latch but I would start by removing the engine access panel behind the center console.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Don't know if there is enough room to get up to the latch but I would start by removing the engine access panel behind the center console.

+ 1, that's your closest point of entry of something that is meant to come out on a regular basis

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks guys. I got to it. Not an easy reach and had to take the blower belt and tensioner off to get my arm through.

Now that its open, I found the trouble. The clamshell door ajar switch clips on the bottom of the latch. Its also what holds the cable retainer in place. Seems my switch on the passenger side got old and brittle and came off its clip, allowing the release cable to fall off.

Anyone have a new clamshell ajar switch? dealers around here do not have one and cannot tell me when they can. Shows no stock.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Check with Torrie (tmcphail) for the clamshell ajar switch.

Also - to put the access panel back, Jay (analogdesigner) makes a reusable gasket for the panel which is a lot better than re-gooing it. I don't know why Ford didn't use a gasket.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Also - to put the access panel back, Jay (analogdesigner) makes a reusable gasket for the panel which is a lot better than re-gooing it. I don't know why Ford didn't use a gasket.

The factory sealant/adhesive is way overkill. I ran a small bead of black RTV sealant on the bulkhead and let it cure before I reinstalled the panel.