Aston Martin - thought

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Looking at a used 2012 V8 Vantage. Looks like a car that takes a huge hit off the lot but then it gets pretty reasonable depreciation. Anybody have experience with the badge? Spossedly the new 4.7L motor is a Ford design, so I would think its solid :) yearly maintance seems a bit high but there are ways around that. The way the doors open is super cool, and the sound of the motor is freakin awesome! What else should I be thinking about when looking at these cars?

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Bond....James Bond

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Best looking car currently in production, hands down. :cool

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Looking at a used 2012 V8 Vantage. Looks like a car that takes a huge hit off the lot but then it gets pretty reasonable depreciation. Anybody have experience with the badge? Spossedly the new 4.7L motor is a Ford design, so I would think its solid :) yearly maintance seems a bit high but there are ways around that. The way the doors open is super cool, and the sound of the motor is freakin awesome! What else should I be thinking about when looking at these cars?

You might wanna talk to Neilda or GTjoey...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Aston Martins

These are really good cars. There are a few owners I know in the area and they are all happy with the cars.
They did over-produce them, so they take a beating in the used market.

Don't expect them to have much in performance feel. They are a good sports car, but not in the supercar arena, at all.
The cars did benefit from Ford ownership in that period, so they have a good level of development behind them. As an alternative, look at Vanquish prices.
Those cars went through the entire Ford development protocol, with no exception.

The one silver lining on V8 vantage over-production, it is doubtful you will have any issues with spares.

Oh, and when you do pull the trigger, we do offer some nice carbon bits for the V8!
http://kipewing.com/aston.html

Cheers
Kip

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I bought my wife a new V8 vantage convertible. It has been trouble free, got me many needed husband points, has ford reliability built into it and it is a work of art inside and out. Kip is absolutely correct, not a real performance feel powerwise, especially compared to GT however a real treat to ride in. Lastly, as new models come out, really hard to visually tell what has changed so car is slow to age in that way. I had to laugh when one of my son's teenager buddies described the car in an Austin Powers voice, " that car is sexy baby, yeah baby yeah!"

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I had the pleasure of being provided an Aston Martin Vantage for a photo shoot with Miss California 2011, Katie Blair. I had been working on a nod to the James Bond genre and felt it would fit perfectly within the theme.

One of the bonuses was that I had four days with the beauty and was encouraged to become familiar with the Vantage - so I drove around to different places. There's a lot of hype around Aston Martin, but I would have to say, IMHO, it's all well deserved. It will seem slow compared to a Ford GT (or even a Porsche Carrera, for that matter), but the lines and feel are stunning. I thought it sounded nice as well, and definitely felt a sense of occasion while driving or being around the car. The door design is quite nice, in the way it gracefully opens slightly upward. It took me a little while to get used to the odd parking brake.

It really stands alone in design I believe.

DropOff.jpg

Agents.jpg

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
JewelMag.jpg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
That last picture would have been much better if you had used on camera flash!

Chip

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I picked up the a black 2012 Vantage S with yellow calipers and yellow stitching. Its a really nice sports car. No question the build quality is there. The thing sounds amazing. It literally deceives you into thinking you are hauling ass because it makes such a great noise… but alas, you would not be able to outrun many bad guys with this bond car. Still, I knew this going into the car and I have zero complaints about it right now.

edit: I did a lot of looking at the differences from year to year and decided the ’12 was a must due to upgrades in the F1 transmission. There are lots of ways to handle the software on that F1 tranny and most of them are wrong. I felt like the 2012 did the best job of dealing with low speed crawls and 1st gear shifts. Plus this is supposed to be the last year of the Vantage S (according to the salesman *rolling eyes*).

Last edited:

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Better think again on these Astons. I've picked up a V12V last March ... nice sound terrible performance and can't get it sold again.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Actually I just got a DB9 and love it. Found it in Texas as well. Enjoy Fubar!! :cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The V12 is a little different animal. It's got more power but I'm not sure if the hp increase justifies the money. Of course their is something to be said for owning a V12 by any manufacturer. I think the Vantage S sounds better but I'd take the sound of a Corvette over a Ferrari so what do I know?

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The V12 is a little different animal. It's got more power but I'm not sure if the hp increase justifies the money. Of course their is something to be said for owning a V12 by any manufacturer. I think the Vantage S sounds better but I'd take the sound of a Corvette over a Ferrari so what do I know?

I had an 06 6 speed hardtop and a 07 Spyder. When I had them I was looking at this kit. BTW I really loved the car.
http://esxproductions.com/esxprod/motorsports/automotive/esx-aston-martin-super-vantage/

J
ohn

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Mark, post some pics!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I had to get the car properly detailed first. It was amazing how many swirls and minor abrasions the paint had, straight off the showroom floor. I had my friend apply a new product called C.Quartz to the car as a protectant. It is supposed to help protect against scratching and assist owners of black cars from going insane.

_DSC0627.jpg

_DSC0628.jpg

_DSC0630.jpg

_DSC0632.jpg

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Check out this before and after on the c quarts

_DSC0615.jpg

_DSC0634.jpg

/end infomercial

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Beautiful car, beautiful house!!!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Check out this before and after on the c quarts
/end infomercial

Wow that looks great. I am having my very modified supercharge NSX up for sale in a couple of weeks and plan to have it detailed prior to sale. I'll recommend this since it is black too!

John