futuregtowner needs info., please

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
Having longed for one, for over a year, and now retired, I would greatly appreciate members feedback (both pro and con) about GT ownership. I have read everything I could get my hands on, but it just doesn't give me the real info. like owner feedback. Thank you all, from Southeastern Arizona!

jimfro

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2006
Sebring, Florida
ownwership

buy it, drive it ,don't think you will make money on it don't park were anyone can get withing 6 ' of it. don't due burn outs unless your on a track more GT's have been wrecked by people showing off than anything else, otherwise enjoy the greatest car ever produced in the U.S. :thumbsup

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Ditto Jimfro... This car is more fun than any other car I have ever owned. Not to be a name dropper but some of my past cars were a VW bug, Chevy II, El Camino, 442. OK, just kidding. I LOVE this car. Smoooooth ride, AWSOME power, GREAT handling, FANTASTIC looks, Best/Only American SUPERCAR! What more can you ask for?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Is that 6' a rule our guildline? I take mine to car shows all the time and I've been breaking that 6' rule. I'd hate to go to GT jail.

My favorite part of GT ownership is going to the shows and having people in awe of actually seeing one up close. I've never had a problem or scratch, just a bunch of finger prints.

But, don't let anyone 'help' with opening the clamshell unless they know what they are doing. My detailer 'lifted' the clam rather than letting it rise on it's own and tweeked it. Just a simple adjustment but who wants to do that.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Awsum GT said:
Ditto Jimfro... This car is more fun than any other car I have ever owned. Not to be a name dropper but some of my past cars were a VW bug, Chevy II, El Camino, 442. OK, just kidding. I LOVE this car. Smoooooth ride, AWSOME power, GREAT handling, FANTASTIC looks, Best/Only American SUPERCAR! What more can you ask for?

ditto :wink

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Pros: A classic design and arguably the best looking car period!
Very fast and very capable, not just in the straights but in the corners
as well.
Very well built and IMHO great fit and finish. I have never seen an
interior that looks like the GT. I just love those toggle switches!
Very smooth Ricardo tranny, just needs to get a little warmed-up for
2nd gear.
Very firm, supportive seats and an adjustable steering wheel.
No cupholders baby! Pure automobile.
Ford dealerships are everywhere, so easy to get repairs, inspections,
etc.
Everyone seems to love it!

Cons: Door are cool but can be a pain. I am young (42 years old) and limber,
so I never hit my head. I simply open the door and stand straight up
(not out). But I have seen quite a few people, most older than me
bean their head while exiting.
Roof is lower than other cars that I have owned. I am 6' and with a
helmet on I am within 1/2" from the roof.
Virtually no storage space (1 cubic feet under the hood, a few nets
behind the seat and in front of the seat).
Poor rear view visibility...but you eventually learn to really use those
side mirrors and now I back-up with little to no problem.
The worst part of owning a GT is all of the looks and people following
you...at first, I was a little paranoid, but I have grown accustomed to
it. Some people know what it is but others have no idea.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah....no regrets!!!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
futuregtowner said:
Having longed for one, for over a year, and now retired, I would greatly appreciate members feedback (both pro and con) about GT ownership. I have read everything I could get my hands on, but it just doesn't give me the real info. like owner feedback. Thank you all, from Southeastern Arizona!
I personally think that you shouldn't give it much thought unless it is an expense thing. There really are no problems unless you consider having the finest exotic and finest american built car ever made a problem. If you're not a race guy or a car guy, doesn't matter. EVERYONE loves this car. Sure there are mi-nute problems. The car was developed in 18-20 months so there will be some. I would even be willing to say that if you didn't get the color you like you'd still love the car. It's a pride thing... It's an American thing... It's a FordGTForum thing... YOU WITH ME ON THAT ONE GUYS..

You know what??? GO BUY THE CAR AND ALL YOUR QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED AND YOU WON"T BE DISSAPOINTED. If am wrong may I be sruck with lightning now!

STILL HERE :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've always liked cars and my son is of that age that he and I work on them together. Prior to the GT I have owned high end foregin cars of which I traded the Merc in on the GT. We still haev a couple of classics that since I got the GT don't spend enough time on - unfortunately.

I've waited for years (started in late 2002) to get one. The history, the design, form fit etc.... all sold me. When they first hit my local dealers wouldn't even look at me. After three years my dream came true and I was the owner of one of the most historic cars in American history.

Since then it has met and exceeded my expectations. It's a pleasure to drive, a real head turner - and is a blast to drive and its American hand made! The power is there if you want it and after a while you only want MORE POWER.

It has it's Cons - rear visibility, speaker etc... but for a car that in 18 months went from clay to finished - I couldn't be more happier!

And to tmstunts posting above - I've never been associated with a "Car Forum" but after the GT I have to admit this site and the people are great. Detroit was fantastic - never to be seen again unfortunately. The people that built this car are great and loved the program as much as we the owners like the cars. I met people from all over the US and still keep in touch with them via this forum. I look forward to seeing the members of the forum again wherever the next get together will be. It has become a community all spawned by the car. I'm sure that many new friendships will continue even afterwords...

If you can afford it - do it! :cheers

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Alternative GT Opinion

Im not that impressed by the car. I find the cable transmission linkage to be weak and horribly imprecise ,the lateral seating support non existant and the lack of carry space silly and use-limiting (even the Countach had a truck, btw). Oh, and don't forget the stupid hard plastic seat buttons or the overdone radio speaker .The car is very (ie too easy) to drive and, in this way and likely for me only , it lacks personality. The performance is good but not nearly twice as good (cost wise) as a Viper. Had I driven a new Viper and the Ford in close proximity I would likey have bought a Viper (but immediately trashed the gaudy wheels) and a Confederate Wraith for the cost of the Ford alone. May still do so.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Dr Robert Harms said:
a Confederate Wraith

that's a nice bike!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Pro's:
American Made - I love to play it humble when people gawk... "it aint bad for a Ford, uh?"
Speed - 205+ mph ... whoa! really though... whoa! (at 200mph there is roughly 4k lbs of wind pressure on the front of your car)
Handling - is awesome, but some exotics are better
Looks - automatic classic, the look is 40 years old so it has already passed the outdated phase
Price - Many arguments here but it is the cheapest exotic.
Respect - This car instills fear in others on the road. It took me two solid weeks to find a guy willing to race.... he lost... badly.

Con's
Racing - This car will not win any competitions. It will never be put to the test like 1966 1st, 2nd, 3rd Le Mans race.
Price - You can not buy this car and plan to make money.
Interior - Few creature comforts. I'm surprised they put a radio it it. I know they debated sliding windows for a long time. No cruise control, no auto climate control, no power seats. The finish is lacking. It looks very raw. This was intentional, but when you sit in a Lamborghini... um well, it's different.

All said and done... if I had the money I'd buy one in every color!

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have a 2006 Viper and have owned 7 others in the past few years. The Viper doesn't come close to the GT in any way. The GT has better looks, drive, and personality than the Viper. I enjoy driving my GT MUCH more than my Vipers.

I drove my Viper after spending 30 minutes driving the GT. I actually took my Viper in to a mechanic thinking there was something wrong with the way it was driving. It was because the GT was so smooth and powerful. The Viper felt like it was being held back... running on 7 or 8 rather than all 10.

I hate to say it but after being a Viper owner for over 10 years... I love the GT much more than the Viper!

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Pros:

Outstanding performance, even by Ferrari/Lambo standards. Better accelaration than an F430 (and a Murcielago or Gallard are not even close). However I think the F430 and Gallardo would handle slightly better/more securely.

Lots of bang for your buck on performance and attention. If you can get one for MSRP, you're basically in the same range as an F360, which is a nice car, but not in the same league performace-wise (or repairs/maint cost).

Reliable: I've put 23,000 miles on mine over the past 18 months. Runs exactly as new. Engine is bullet proof, no question about it. Clutch still behaves as new (but I don't abuse the clutch, no burnouts ever).

I think there is very little risk of very expensive repairs.

Decent warranty (3 yrs 36k). Some exotics are only 2 years.

Gets more attention that a Lambo or Ferrari. Appeals to a broader range of people (older people, NASCAR fans, kids, exotic-car guys, etc.) Everyone likes the car.

Surprisingly comfortable! I've made several 8-10 hours runs in it.

Possibly gets less attention from highway patrol than Vipers, Vettes, or exotics...I think some CHP are a little hesitant to ticket this car (not that I would ever deserve a ticket). I had one CHP tell me "no CHP in their right mind would pull this car over!!!" (OK, that CHP was a Ford nut so I guess that would help.)

There is nothing finicky about the GT. No frustrating little electronic problems, etc. The engine is always ready to GO, runs well when cold, will not overheat no matter what (I blasted through Death Valley when it was 118 degrees, with the Air on the whole time).

Very easy to drive. Throttle not jumpy. Long, smooth clutch. Perfect steering feel. Softest ride out of any exotic I've been in, yet it corners and handles extremely well. Loads of grip.

Resale value: I don't think you can go wrong at MSRP. There's a good chance that in 10 years these cars will have gone up (maybe quite a bit). Ferraris and Lambos that are now 10 years old have lost about 30%-50% of their value.

Repairs, etc: It's a lot nicer driving it to a local dealer than flat-bedding it around the state. Big difference there! Plus, you won't have those horror stories of your car being in the shop for 3-4 weeks at a time while they are "waiting for parts".

Cons:
Tempts you to do things you should not do on the street. If you're not a responsible, mature driver then don't think about buying this because you'll kill yourself. Insane amount of power.

Poor luggage and storage space.

Fit & finish not close to Ferrari or Lambo.

Summary:
It just depends what you are looking for in a car. If you want fit & finish, prestige, and performance go for the F430 (but pay $100k more). If you want fit & finish, performace, and attention get a Murcielago. If you want something more rare than an F430 but a daily driver, get a Gallardo. If you just want performace, get a Z06.

But if you want everything (except superior fit & finish) then you can't beat the GT. I'm one of the fools who paid $100k+ over sticker and I'm still pleased. Obviously I wish I had waited, but even so I'm happy with the purchase.

I'd like to qualify the negative aspects I brought up about Ferraris and Lambos by saying that I'd love to have a Murcie Roadster, Gallardo SE and an F430 in the garage too. They're fantastic cars of course and I am not implying the GT is "better". I just thing it's a better purchase if you can only have one of them (again, depending on what you are looking for in your car).

The correct answer is to buy all of them of course!