Clear fender guards for serious paint protection…

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I live in the Denver area where we’ll have sand and junk on the roads for at least 6 months a year, even when they’re clear from ice and snow. I wanted fender protection better than the clear films could provide, but I didn’t want something too visible, or needing to modify the car for attachment. So last year I made up some thermoforming molds for fabricating formed fender shields from clear polycarbonate (Lexan). Yes I know, some may see “mud flaps” on the GT like a mustache on the Mona Lisa, but for me the piece of mind is worth it and at least being clear they’re pretty benign looking. After months of tweaking the design and process I finished with the configuration seen in the pictures below. My preference is for the clear, but they could also be made from the black, white, or smoked polycarbonate as well. My clear ones are holding up fine, but honestly I don’t have a lot of miles on them yet. They attach to the existing fastener locations so there are no holes, goo, or tape to add. Also, figuring that grit trapped between the paint and plastic wouldn’t be pretty, I’ve lined the paint contact areas with a rubber coated polyurethane foam. The rubber coating is also available in a white, yellow, and red that may be close to matching the OEM colors, but basic black looks fine on my blue car since not much of that area is visible right behind the tires anyways. Since the molds are good for maybe 20 more runs I wanted to extend the availability to other members. I’ll provide a 100% no-questions-asked refund for 30 days including covering the return shipping. They’re priced to cover materials plus some for my evenings in the shop for $275 for a set of four plus $15 shipping. Oh, and they come in a nice box suitable for storage if you want to only use them for trips, track days, etc.. Please take a look at the website if you’re interested or call me at 303-808-8268
Jim Byrnes
www.highroaddesignsinc.com

Attachments

• GT-019-for-forum.jpg
    GT-019-for-forum.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 311
  • GT-031-for-forum.jpg
    GT-031-for-forum.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 312
  • GT-131-for-forum.jpg
    GT-131-for-forum.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 311

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Sent my order in today Jim. Thank you!

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Nice product:thumbsup

Sending a check today.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nice product:thumbsup

Sending a check today.

Ditto

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I installed the protectors today, and looking at the results, I'm very happy with their appearance (or lack of it) on the car. On a Mark IV Red GT such as mine, I think that the clear is more appropriate than a solid color. A red guard would look a bit gaudy, and a black one would detract from the red/white combination of the striping.

The installation was quite simple and straightforward, as they use the existing holes which mount the inner fenders to the body. Total installation time was about 1-1½ hours, most of which was involved with cleaning the mounting surfaces. A younger person could probably do it in 30-45 minutes.

I went for a short drive after the installation, about 50 miles, without any detrimental effects, taking the pictures (below) about half way through the ride.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I installed the protectors today, and looking at the results, I'm very happy with their appearance (or lack of it) on the car. On a Mark IV Red GT such as mine, I think that the clear is more appropriate than a solid color. A red guard would look a bit gaudy, and a black one would detract from the red/white combination of the striping.

The installation was quite simple and straightforward, as they use the existing holes which mount the inner fenders to the body. Total installation time was about 1-1½ hours, most of which was involved with cleaning the mounting surfaces. A younger person could probably do it in 30-45 minutes.

I went for a short drive after the installation, about 50 miles, without any detrimental effects, taking the pictures (below) about half way through the ride.

Had mine on at Watkins Glen, > 135mph. No problems.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
The GT Guy's are installing mine on the Blue Car. I should see it soon.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I put mine on this weekend. They look nice. I hope 2 screws keep them on at 175 MPH because I have two track days at Sebring over Memorial weekend to find out. :banana

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm curious if anybody else had issues putting on the front guards. My rear wells were held in with screws and expansion anchors, but my front wells were held in with a barbed fasteners. I know Jim's car wasn't like that. How about everyone else.

It looks like this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23192347@N02/2473884366/sizes/o/

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'm curious if anybody else had issues putting on the front guards. My rear wells were held in with screws and expansion anchors, but my front wells were held in with a barbed fasteners. I know Jim's car wasn't like that. How about everyone else.

It looks like this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23192347@N02/2473884366/sizes/o/

My fronts were held in with the same screw/anchor system that was on the rear upper location. Are the barbed fasteners the same diameter as the anchors? If so, just use replace them with the new anchors in the kit. If the holes are larger, contact jbyrnes, and he can probably get you some larger anchors and screws. (I wonder if they were replaced at some time in the past)

Ralphie

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My fronts were held in with the same screw/anchor system that was on the rear upper location. Are the barbed fasteners the same diameter as the anchors? If so, just use replace them with the new anchors in the kit. If the holes are larger, contact jbyrnes, and he can probably get you some larger anchors and screws. (I wonder if they were replaced at some time in the past)

Ralphie

The diameter of the holes in the front well liner are larger than the holes in the rear liner. The anchors that fit so well in the back were much too small to be secure in the front. Jim and I were PM-ing each other about this and he's been very helpful. I ended up reinserting the barbed fasteners which are quite tight. I've never had the front wells off and I'm the original owner, so I'm really confused why mine are different than everybody elses.