Clutch Wear

Tony Hart

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2006
Moorpark, CA
I am wondering if any other owner has had to replace the clutch.
Last year with only 2700 miles on it my car started to shudder/chatter from a standstill. I took the car in to Galpin Ford in So California where I was told that I had used the clutch too excessively that caused it burn out.
In more than 40 years driving manual shifts I have never burned out a clutch. As well as the GT I also have a 550 Maranello, Testarossa, E Type Jag plus 4 vintage race cars and never have had any clutch problems.
The repair of clutch was a bill to me of $5000.00 and not covered under warranty. Detroit even sent a technician to test drive the car and he thought there was something weird in the feel of the clutch. I have always noticed a 'racing' of the engine at that point of the lift off the gas and going down on the clutch pedal, none of any of my other cars do this so this what they have attributed to the clutch burning out.
Ford in Detroit told me that all GT's are the same an weren't prepared to honor any warranty of which I am truly disgusted.
I'll keep the car because it is marvelous car but I get nervous every time I shift gears.
Tony Hart

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
With the stainless exhaust that racing of the engine between shifts keeps other drivers on their toes. I notice that little flair but no clutch problems yet, only 3000 miles.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am wondering if any other owner has had to replace the clutch.
Last year with only 2700 miles on it my car started to shudder/chatter from a standstill. I took the car in to Galpin Ford in So California where I was told that I had used the clutch too excessively that caused it burn out.
In more than 40 years driving manual shifts I have never burned out a clutch. As well as the GT I also have a 550 Maranello, Testarossa, E Type Jag plus 4 vintage race cars and never have had any clutch problems.
The repair of clutch was a bill to me of $5000.00 and not covered under warranty. Detroit even sent a technician to test drive the car and he thought there was something weird in the feel of the clutch. I have always noticed a 'racing' of the engine at that point of the lift off the gas and going down on the clutch pedal, none of any of my other cars do this so this what they have attributed to the clutch burning out.
Ford in Detroit told me that all GT's are the same an weren't prepared to honor any warranty of which I am truly disgusted.
I'll keep the car because it is marvelous car but I get nervous every time I shift gears.
Tony Hart

Did you buy it new or used, Tony?
'Reason I ask: if the car had a previous owner, he could have made one too many "3rd gear" starts from a dead stop... which would explain your clutch pblm @2,700 miles.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Did you buy it new or used, Tony?
'Reason I ask: if the car had a previous owner, he could have made one too many "3rd gear" starts from a dead stop... which would explain your clutch pblm @2,700 miles.

There are some threads on this so do a search. It appears to be very common and you can only do a few of these before it's fried.

Rob

jimmy_v

Jul 23, 2007
Dallas, TX
My GT is at the dealership right now getting a new clutch put on. I have 7,000 miles. Reason for new clutch is very hard to put in reverse and first gear. Ford told me I need a new clutch.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I let my brother use my GT one day (I know, lesson learned) and he accidentally did a hard 3rd gear start. The clutch was never the same.

If you are having to pick up the tab on this one there are some other clutch options you may want to look at.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I let my brother use my GT one day (I know, lesson learned) and he accidentally did a hard 3rd gear start. The clutch was never the same.

GT number 1 or 2?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My sense is that the clutches on our cars are the 'weak link' if not engaged 'perfectly every time". After seeing so many of them 'smoked' at the Saleen Airport during Rally II and talking to the Ford Techs at Wixom two years ago...

The Techs at Wixom advised me that several Ford Executives who took "a GT home for the weekend" complained on Monday that the car lacked power and the clutch had an 'odor'. When taken apart they all required new clutches from a weekend of 3rd gear/high RPM starts.
I am very careful (to a fault) when I shift mine.

Maybe Rich (GT TECH) or others can comment too.
AJB

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
New Clutch or New Shifter Cables

My GT is at the dealership right now getting a new clutch put on. I have 7,000 miles. Reason for new clutch is very hard to put in reverse and first gear. Ford told me I need a new clutch.

jimmy - have the tech look at the shifter cables. They run through the inside of the engine valley. They were installed on very short standoffs. As a result the outer jacket may have become "heat stuck" to the block. Thus the shifting cable binds inside the spiral wound case it resides in. The is NO adjustment needed to the cables. Fixed length from the mfr. Replace is the only way to go.

The tech may have to remove the intake to find this problem. I had to ave both of my cables R&R'd. Pretty tedious project the tech.

Have this checked out BEFORE replacing the clutch. Unless you were having troubles with the clutch, rather than stiff shifting.

Let us know what they find.

jimmy_v

Jul 23, 2007
Dallas, TX
The tech may have to remove the intake to find this problem. I had to ave both of my cables R&R'd. Pretty tedious project the tech.

Have this checked out BEFORE replacing the clutch. Unless you were having troubles with the clutch, rather than stiff shifting.

Let us know what they find.

They did not give me much choice but to replace the clutch. I don't think I have a bad clutch. I am getting all my old parts back. Can you look at a used clutch and tell if it is good? I am picking up my car Thursday afternoon.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
They did not give me much choice but to replace the clutch. I don't think I have a bad clutch. I am getting all my old parts back. Can you look at a used clutch and tell if it is good? I am picking up my car Thursday afternoon.

Hard to believe the clutch is bad with that mileage. Mine is at Hamon Ford getting the Stillen clutch. I just turned 11,000 miles on the stock clutch. I have tracked the car the numerous times in the last two years and last time out , once it was hot it started slipping. I had the pulley and tune at 4000 miles....7000 miles and a lot of fun since....no clutch problems until now...will let you know how the new clutch feels...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Go fo a ride. If the shifting isn't up to snuff with the new clutch, have the techie take a look at the shift cables.

He "may" be able to use a mirror on a stick to look at them. Mine were obviously melted and were heat wlded to the block. Took some heavy scraping to get them off.

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
My clutch was replaced at about 130 miles after a member of the press took off it in 3rd gear a few times.

Fortunately It was before I bought it from Ford Australia.:cheers

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Got my Stillen clutch....feels great. Shorter travel .....same feel otherwise