What if the GT was released during these economic crisis?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Syco +1

Shelby +1 :thumbsup

I agree with you Mad....they both make great points. I am just glad I bought one when I did and that I take the time to enjoy the car as much as possible.

:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It'd be interesting to know, how many GT Owners on this site, and how many GT's do we collectively own (multiple GT owners will make this number bigger than forum members), and collectively control (Shelby and Bernie, and others), at this point. And how many GT's remain in the United States...And how many irreparably destroyed...

Just personal musings, as I do not have the effort/resources close at hand to look into such questions.

903 cars listed on this sites GT registry

http://66.165.180.20/

Some GT owners have more than one some as high as 5, I would guess the number of GT represented by GT forum members are between 950 to 1000 out of the 4000+ GTs made. About 25% of the total.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Many owners have never listed their FGT's in the registry.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Bony, what is the number of forum members with GT owner status. Of course this number is a little high since some has since sold their GTs.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Many owners have never listed their FGT's in the registry.

Exactly. I could not remember if I ever put mine in the registry.....and I haven't. However just by perusing the Forum names in the Tungsten section I recognized several that I know have sold their cars.

I would be curious as to how many current owners are active on/watch the Forum.

Athough I do think it is great that so many former owners stay a part of the group. :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Re: Sales

Its my opinion they would all sell....eventually.

We tracked the actual sales month-to-month for the GT during 2005-2006; if you care to peruse my past posts, I had a running tally. They were 95% all sold by Dec 2006.

Re: Buyers mentality

I think you were asking if buyers demand/mind set has changed

Answer: YES

From million $ real estate, to art, to yachts; all are down YTD

Rolls Royce, Porsche, etc have all announced idle weeks of factory production to come. Sales of BMW, MB, Bentley, Lexus are all down -20+%.

Now, at the personal level, I would admit I would not be a buyer today...with double digit -% declines in most portfolios, its hard to drop $150K.

Back in 2006, many a man had the backwind of $100-500K min. gains in portfolios, options, bonuses and purchases like GTs were seen in a different light.

For many those have evaporated to zero or -40%.

Yes, it will come back....but its not champagne poping season currently.

Optimism and reward are a big part of the GT purchase equation; and those are sorely missing for most, currently.

Thankfully we all have GTs, and have a lot to be thankful for anyway, regardless.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony, what is the number of forum members with GT owner status. Of course this number is a little high since some has since sold their GTs.

I will let DBK answer that one, I am sure one can see from the control panel, but I am not sure where that number is shown.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I would be curious as to how many current owners are active on/watch the Forum.
:cheers

What is interesting to note that the ratio of members to visitors seems about three to one. It is impossible to tell how many owners surf and never post.

I can only say that in the little town of Fresno we have about 20 FGT's, not counting the number two seller for FGT's. Awsum posts on a regular basis, one other member posts once in a while and rest never post. I think that is typical.

Most folks find the typical car forums to be less than satisfying. They have been on a Vette, Viper or BMW site and have had a 16 year old kid tell
them to pound salt, and eight other high school drop outs agree convincing the poster that they can live without forum insults.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
What is interesting to note that the ratio of members to visitors seems about three to one. It is impossible to tell how many owners surf and never post.

I can only say that in the little town of Fresno we have about 20 FGT's, not counting the number two seller for FGT's. Awsum posts on a regular basis, one other member posts once in a while and rest never post. I think that is typical.

Most folks find the typical car forums to be less than satisfying. They have been on a Vette, Viper or BMW site and have had a 16 year old kid tell
them to pound salt, and eight other high school drop outs agree convincing the poster that they can live without forum insults.

Interesting. I was told there are 14 GT's besides mine on the central coast by another owner I see regularly at the local C&C. I found this fascinating as the only ones I have seen on the road are his and mine......and we are not exactly a bustling metropolis here. :lol

He told me most of them are the buy and store type of owners. I would think the average non-driving owner would not be interested in this type of Forum. Of course to be honest I never considered checking into a Forum/car site till I stumbled onto this one while doing research for my purchase. I guess I lucked out in two ways....finding a great car and a great site on the first try. :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think it just might be possible, GT is a very unique car, hence it has a very unique forum to go along with it, as more owners realize this they will be drawn in by the force of the "fordgtforum" and eventually succumb, I owned other cars, and never spend any significant time on any other forums, and if anyone would have told me I would meet people on the internet and then transport my car across the country to go hang out with them I would have said youre out of your mind, but thats exactly what I did, I would have never done that with bmw, or porsche etc..., But because the gt is so rare(I know 4000 units may not be considered rare, but if ford doesnt make a continuation car then over the years 4000 units could be considered very rare, especially as more members join and buy more than one car), I think there is a camaraderie here that is perhaps missing on other forums, and I think there are more like minded people here than other forums. Could you imagine a time where there would be only 2 to 3 gt's for sale on ebay at any given time?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the supply will not go up, that much we know, we just have to see what the demand will be in the future, if I had the money I would buy another,:wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Interesting. I was told there are 14 GT's besides mine on the central coast by another owner I see regularly at the local C&C. I found this fascinating as the only ones I have seen on the road are his and mine......and we are not exactly a bustling metropolis here. :lol

I have seen 6 or 7 all waiting for service at Evan Guyet's shop here in Fresno. I know of Tony's up in Chowchilla, and two more south of Fresno in Selma and Visalia. Tony visits the forum, the others don't. Three folks that attended Rally III from Fresno are great owners but don't participate on the board.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
the supply will not go up, that much we know, we just have to see what the demand will be in the future, if I had the money I would buy another,:wink

Stop driving so much and spend more time doing implants, bridges and crowns. :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think it just might be possible, GT is a very unique car, hence it has a very unique forum to go along with it, as more owners realize this they will be drawn in by the force of the "fordgtforum" and eventually succumb, I owned other cars, and never spend any significant time on any other forums, and if anyone would have told me I would meet people on the internet and then transport my car across the country to go hang out with them I would have said youre out of your mind, but thats exactly what I did, I would have never done that with bmw, or porsche etc..., But because the gt is so rare(I know 4000 units may not be considered rare, but if ford doesnt make a continuation car then over the years 4000 units could be considered very rare, especially as more members join and buy more than one car), I think there is a camaraderie here that is perhaps missing on other forums, and I think there are more like minded people here than other forums. Could you imagine a time where there would be only 2 to 3 gt's for sale on ebay at any given time?

No doubt the FGT is a unique machine, however, because this place is clearly a spot for owners, team members and a few selected spectators we have created a fraternal atmoshere. Our rules of not allowing folks to post pictures of wrecked FGT's that are not their own, not allowing personal attacks etc. seem to be well thought out. As we meet one another our bonds become stronger.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Bony - i strongly believe in the owners section of this site that we should have a running tally of how many GT's have been totaled. it should be updated on a monthly basis. this is very valuable info to have as it will drive the re-sale prices of the the remaining GT's up. without this info we are leaving $$$ on the table if we decide to sell our GT's. the resale price of GT's are largely influenced by supply and demand and with only 4,038 made if 500 have been totaled then the value of the remaining GT's has to be worth more. i would also like to know exactly what color and options the totaled cars had and if the cars totaled were 05's or 06's. if you have a rare optioned car and an inordinant amount of those cars have been totaled then your car has just shot way up in value. this info is very important to me and should be to you and DBK as well as it concerns establishing a real value as to what our GT's are worth in light of a deminishing supply. Craig Jackson from Barrett-Jacskon would tell you the same thing i am telling you. i have met him and he told me the #1 factor that determins any cars value is its rarity......

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Craig Jackson is spot on. Nobody knows how many cars have been totaled, rebuilt, we can only speculate. By super car standards at this point one could assume that 50% of the cars should have received heavy damage.

The mere fact that Ford built 4038, that anywhere from 25% to 30% have been damaged, one should not forecast that in 25 years that our cars will appreciate like a L88 Vette, ZL1 Camaro, 65 GT350 or an original Cobra. Keep in mind the only Ferrari's that grow in value are the limited production models.

The policy not to post pictures of wrecked cars is designed to not to embarass owners that have made mistakes. We are aware of many folks that are on the second FGT, becuase they crashed their first one. Just heard about one yesterday from another member and found a picture of one from California on FChat. That policy will continue.
Interesting to note, only one member so far has posted the picture of his wrecked car, so it must have some merit.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That policy will continue.
Interesting to note, only one member so far has posted the picture of his wrecked car, so it must have some merit.

An another owner posted that his GT that burnt to the ground! I don't think even the most unscrupulous savage re-builder will bring that one back to life. Even the VIN plate is gone!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Craig Jackson is spot on. Nobody knows how many cars have been totaled, rebuilt, we can only speculate. By super car standards at this point one could assume that 50% of the cars should have received heavy damage.

The mere fact that Ford built 4038, that anywhere from 25% to 30% have been damaged, one should not forecast that in 25 years that our cars will appreciate like a L88 Vette, ZL1 Camaro, 65 GT350 or an original Cobra. Keep in mind the only Ferrari's that grow in value are the limited production models.

The policy not to post pictures of wrecked cars is designed to not to embarass owners that have made mistakes. We are aware of many folks that are on the second FGT, becuase they crashed their first one. Just heard about one yesterday from another member and found a picture of one from California on FChat. That policy will continue.

Bony - reread my post. you totally missed my point. i never said to post pix of totalled cars in the owners section. i just suggest to put a sticky at the top that gives the info on the cars only and not the owners or pix of their car. i am talking about totaled cars ONLY. not cars that have been repaired......

also Craig told me that of all the cars built after 1980 he expects the Ford GT, Saleen S7 and a few select vipers, etc. to bring the most $$$ 30 years from now as far as cars made in America go which is primarily what the B-J caters too

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony - reread my post. you totally missed my point. i never said to post pix of totalled cars in the owners section. i just suggest to put a sticky at the top that gives the info on the cars only and not the owners or pix of their car. i am talking about totaled cars ONLY. not cars that have been repaired......

also Craig told me that of all the cars built after 1980 he expects the Ford GT, Saleen S7 and a few select vipers, etc. to bring the most $$$ 30 years from now as far as cars made in America go which is primarily what the B-J caters too

Sorry, Freddy I just decided to comment further on why we are not posting pictures. How would your propose to tally which cars have been totalled, rebuilt??

When I hear about a crashed car and I have a vin number I share that data with CobraJeff for his registry.

I would also not argue with Jackson's comments about which cars might hold their value better than others. I still feel that an investment in a total market index fund will appreciate more in 25 years than a FGT.

I think most folks realize that a large percent have been damaged. The challenge for a buyer is to have the car checked by a real pro. We know of companies such as THE GT GUYS that are repairing FGT's to same condition as new. Who knows about some of the others? But let the buyer beware, there are still ways to wash tittles and Carfax is not the end all source for infomation.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Sorry, Freddy I just decided to comment further on why we are not posting pictures. How would your propose to tally which cars have been totalled, rebuilt??

When I hear about a crashed car and I have a vin number I share that data with CobraJeff for his registry.

I would also not argue with Jackson's comments about which cars might hold their value better than others. I still feel that an investment in a total market index fund will appreciate more in 25 years than a FGT.

I think most folks realize that a large percent have been damaged. The challenge for a buyer is to have the car checked by a real pro. We know of companies such as THE GT GUYS that are repairing FGT's to same condition as new. Who knows about some of the others? But let the buyer beware, there are still ways to wash tittles and Carfax is not the end all source for infomation.

Bony - i am an investor (stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.)

cars are not an investment for me. they are just a hobby. for a person like Craig Jackson they are his Business. that said tracking the cars that have been totaled is no easy task but it is absolutely necessary imo and Craigs. other people on this site would have a better handle than me on how to go about gathering this info.

also my definition of a car that has been "totaled" is one that is beyond repair, so......

Last edited: