Welcome Guide Arrvied

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Or maybe if 50 orders go to a single dealer, a little discount could be possible...

Now you're talkin'!

FrankTheTank

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2016
Austin, Texas
So deposit is due based on your production position and the clock does not start now for everyone?

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Up here in the Great White North, Yes it has already snowed here, I am wondering what my geological location is? Edmonton Alberta Canada Thx

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm going to guess that ''transactional price" means the total out the door total including taxes and fees. The fees (like doc fees) are where a dealer has a lot of leeway to make extra profit. In my experience, it can run anywhere from $50 to $1000. I recently bought a new Mustang to have converted by Shelby and when I objected to being charged a $500 doc fee to deliver my paperwork to the courthouse, I was told it was out of the salesmans hands and couldn't be changed. Once I threatened to walk out, it suddenly dropped to a realistic $100. So maybe that's what they mean by negotiating the transactional price.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Ya, right! It's not really that simple, as FMC have clearly stated that they are restricting and limiting geographic market allocations. It then becomes a function of choosing who will hose you the least. Trust me, any dealer will try to get as much as he or she can on a special car like this, and only a few dealers will be able to deliver the car.

I talked to a dealer down here, They said they would not be marking it up..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Correct. Selling dealer has to sign up. Selling dealer does not have to be a Servicing dealer.

That's the real trick is getting a dealer to become a servicing dealer.. I spoke to one dealer down here and we discussed their reservation about doing so...

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
maybe that's for a discount off MSRP? :)
I think there'd be a chance of having some negotiating power to get a discount below MSRP, given the advertising exposure of the car if you work the deal to leave on the dealer license plate frame and that adhesive dealer badge they'll stick on the rear facia. Can't hurt to ask.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
More importantly I hope we will see some hard numbers soon .. Weight, HP ,, base price, option prices etc..

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The Welcome Guide is worded the way it is to comply with franchise laws. Ford cannot interfere with the retail sale of the vehicle. What they can and did do was give the allocation to the customer so the customer controls which dealer will sell. I can assure you that Ford has dealers who will deliver all 1000 cars at MSRP if necessary. It's that simple, so no one should give a second thought to whether the cars will sell at MSRP. I'm more interested in knowing whether I can negotiate a deal under MSRP. Ha

I like the way you think! lets start the bidding at 10% off MSRP :)

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I talked to a dealer down here, They said they would not be marking it up..

Brian
I think it's time for us to talk to the dealer again. What do you think buddy?
Ernie

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the way you think! lets start the bidding at 10% off MSRP :)

I think the dealer will be in the hole at 10% off. It depends on your option list.

Ed

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I would bet at 5% off they will be making $ and lots of good will and PR.
Will be the first ever group GT buy!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Seems that Ford is really walking a tightrope on this one! Yes, it is a no-no to try and fix the prices... or more specifically, to prevent mark-ups. By providing the allocation to the buyer and letting them choose the dealership they want to purchase from is a clever idea. However, in larger metropolitan areas like Los Angeles, for example, a Ford-confirmed buyer can send out a letter/email to a dozen different Ford Dealerships saying that the first dealership that agrees to sell them the car for $XXX over invoice will earn their business. I would think that several dealerships might be tempted to respond for the simple reason that the opportunity to make $XXX is more than $0.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ahem, yeah, that's not gonna work. Trust me :lol The dealer is not compensated as they are on a regular vehicle sale.

I'd just say the following: a little over a year ago, a lot of people were on fire because they viewed the car as unobtanium, it was gonna marked up through the roof, and even if they could find one the dealers would be asking 2x or 3x or who knows, they'd all get buried in collections and nobody would ever see them again. Now there is a process in which buyers with an allocation can buy the car at MSRP, and the selling dealer they work with is compensated fairly for their time and effort.

I've argued many, many, many times with people about how the laws of economics do not cease to function depending on which side of the transaction you are on. Who buys a regular car at MSRP? Almost nobody. There are never flame fest threads on car forums when dealers sell cars under msrp, and I would guess those transactions outnumber over-msrp transactions by at least 500 to 1.

The out-of-the-box process here is designed to sell what is an extremely low volume, very desirable car in a way that treats all sides fairly. Seems as reasonable as it can be to everyone involved given the circumstances. My advice is find a dealer you like and are comfortable working with and enjoy the process.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think the dealer will be in the hole at 10% off. It depends on your option list.

Ed

Ed I was kidding....

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
DBK's continuing education to his flock.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I think the root of all even turns out to be greed. Now that can be on the sellers side or even the buyers side. No doubt what Ford has done to allow the consumer to dictate the transaction of sale is almost unheard of but you have to give your props to Ford for doing just that. I am on the side of DBK here saying that if we the consumer can purchase these cars at MSRP and the dealers can make a little bit off them then I consider that a win/win for all parties. Now the dealer may not feel the same, but getting this car at MSRP is a blessing because otherwise, I would never have a chance of owning such a limited production NFGT...

Thanks, FORD!!!!

Mark Heidaker

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The out-of-the-box process here is designed to sell what is an extremely low volume, very desirable car in a way that treats all sides fairly. Seems as reasonable as it can be to everyone involved given the circumstances. My advice is find a dealer you like and are comfortable working with and enjoy the process.

I hear you Dave and agree on many points and your 500:1 example is probably conservative. For volume produced cars, where consumers squeeze the wholly hell out of dealerships and the margin is pennies if positive at all - you never see peeps bitchin' about the dealership model. Conversely, if you look at the margins on the GT350, GT350R, Raptor, and Focus RS.... consumers are definitely not happy with the mark-ups but the dealerships can (rightly) say it is just the flip-side of the model that squeezes the hell out of them more often than not.

I applaud Ford for taking creative steps to try to protect the consumer in the case of the GT... but of course it needs to be in a way that respects all parties and the agreements in place. Ironically, isn't it Michigan that is blocking Elon's attempt to direct sell Tesla's yet the GT program as it is defined is essentially that with some different colored lipstick? I'm sure Ford is spending a pretty penny to navigate the legality of this creative program and it likley has been fully vetted.... but nevertheless interesting from this naive section of the bleachers.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Totally agree with Dave, few months ago those who got an allocation felt blessed and those who did not would surely step in to buy one at msrp!

Another question Dave, have all the letters gone out to those who have an allocation ?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Ahem, yeah, that's not gonna work. Trust me :lol The dealer is not compensated as they are on a regular vehicle sale.

I'd just say the following: a little over a year ago, a lot of people were on fire because they viewed the car as unobtanium, it was gonna marked up through the roof, and even if they could find one the dealers would be asking 2x or 3x or who knows, they'd all get buried in collections and nobody would ever see them again. Now there is a process in which buyers with an allocation can buy the car at MSRP, and the selling dealer they work with is compensated fairly for their time and effort.

I've argued many, many, many times with people about how the laws of economics do not cease to function depending on which side of the transaction you are on. Who buys a regular car at MSRP? Almost nobody. There are never flame fest threads on car forums when dealers sell cars under msrp, and I would guess those transactions outnumber over-msrp transactions by at least 500 to 1.

Reminds me of an old saying "The 1st pig gets fat... the 2nd pig got slaughtered"... I am ok with getting fat!. MSRP is good for me!