U.S. Top Gear review...

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
This is the first time I've tried watching. Intolerably bad.

I agree, it is pretty bad in comparison with the British version, but I will continue to watch it in any case just because it is a show about cars. Then again I also watch the Speed Channel and Motor Week. What high standards for automotive television.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It will be cancelled. The first show had very weak numbers; so these are at best half or worse.

Its amazing the the car world is so alien to cable.

Would you hire a Golf guy to host a Football show??? (no tiger jokes!)

They need another real car guy and a babe.

All those other shows that made it 1-3 seasons (Overhauling, Low-Rider, etc) went the babe route; and it saved them for a while.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They need another real car guy and a babe.

+1

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I still think they need some more acerbic wit. Of course I think it is Carolla who can deliver.

The mock races pitting cars against boats and plane are cool once. Looks like they want that to be a major theme in the show. Being a boat guy, I liked the Miami to Key West race. The L.A. to Vegas race....not so much. They are too dang contrived.

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Canceled my "record all" . I kind of like Tanner, but some of the other non-blokes were just awful. The BBC original is a VERY tough act to follow and I just can't help but compare. Bummer. The clincher is that my wife is cool with watching the original but hates the Yank version.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I don't know, tonight's episode, America's Toughest Trucks, is pretty amusing. Is there hope yet?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Two words sum up the Alaska episode: Beautiful scenery.