U.S. Top Gear review...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Overall, Im glad its here; Discover & NBC whiffed....

-Video quality is amazing
-Withouth Brit accents its missing something; Maybe Southern accent would work
-They need more chemistry; probably wil drop/add someone; maybe Top Babe
-Tanner on Stig commentrary sounds OK, almost reading
-Studio audience needs babes....those Brit Birds work
-Hope they trash some Yuppie-mobiles, SUVs, EVOs, an other non PC commentary

Glad its here & hope its last 100yrs.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I thought for a first episode it was not bad. I'm sure the Brit hosts have developed their chemistry over time- probably watching their first show would be a bit painful too. Production values were very high- about equal to the UK show.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I was really surprised not to see "Stig" Cantwell.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Entertaining I'll watch it again. I am a Tanner and Rutledge fan so its not hard to like.

Took to long to run the 3 lambos flat out with way too much comercial like dialog

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Will watch it tonight. I hope they do the "Buy a $2000 car and rag it out and bump into each other" adventures.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I know it's called "Top Gear" and it's modelled after the UK version... But I think they've tried too hard to be an exact copy. Do we need a US "Stig". A true / qualifed driver, ok... Stig? That can't be the best they could come up with...

I did like the new twist on "star in a reasonably priced car" - the little track map!

Needs some time to develop their own style and chemistry or they're doomed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I watched it when I got home.

I thought it was OK. I'll watch it again. In all I liked it better than the Supercars show, although I think the 1/2 hour timeslot might be more appropriate for the material.

Those Lambos were wicked. I can't believe they drove them on the standing mile without a suit, 5 point restraints and helmet. And the Viper still holds first place.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
I thought for a first episode it was not bad. I'm sure the Brit hosts have developed their chemistry over time- probably watching their first show would be a bit painful too. Production values were very high- about equal to the UK show.

I just re-watched the first episode of the British Top Gear (the post-2001 incarnation, that is), which was originally broadcast on October 20, 2002. The introductory dialogue of that episode and of the first US Top Gear episode are very similar - they both say what they are not going to be. And both first episodes include the Lamborghini Murcielago on the Power Lap.

There were remarkably few people in the studio of the first British Top Gear episode, and of course James May was not there. He replaced Jason Dawe beginning with series two. Clarkson was noticably more tame than he is now (that was the painful part!), as was the general excitement level of the program.

The British Top Gear has had an eight-year head start on the US version, and I'm sure that given time the US Top Gear will find its own rhythm too. The Australian Top Gear is also a very similar format with equally high production values, so it's not surprising that the US version is what it is. Tanner's driving skills will undoubtedly be showcased in some manner in each episode, and I'll be looking forward to that each week.

The Ford GT was featured in the British Top Gear episode one - it was still called the "new" GT40 at that time, of course. There was a mockup of the GT in the studio throughout most of the episode. They noted that Ford had just announced its decision to produce the car, and that the price would be $150,000. The original sixties GT40 LeMans racers were featured as a lead-in to the segment.

During the US Top Gear premier I kept waiting for them to do something with the Superformance Daytona Coupe that was on the set, but they didn't. Hopefully that's coming in another episode.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I wonder if they'll be allowed to be rude about cars without the fear of being sued?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I wonder if they'll be allowed to be rude about cars without the fear of being sued?

Likely just won't be invited by OEM's to test another car once they 'pan' a product. Often the reviews are just PC/neutral, leaving the door open for another day. Lots of value in that...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Dodge refused the UK team a Challenger; they bought one themselves shot the video & sold it.

Then panned Dodge for being bankrupt and trying to push them around....funny

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Dodge refused the UK team a Challenger; they bought one themselves shot the video & sold it.

Then panned Dodge for being bankrupt and trying to push them around....funny

The Wiki says that Hammond kept the Challenger he liked it so much -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hammond

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I could have been drinking that show...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The editorial integrity won't count for anything if they offer bland/neutral reviews on cars because of sponsor/advertiser nervousness/awareness. Whilst Top Gear UK is now almost a kids show, it's great fun, but seems less about cars and more about a lads situation comedy. However, when they do make a serious review on something, it's no holes barred - they will go for the jugular if they don't like it. And that does give the program a certain bite.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
However, when they do make a serious review on something, it's no holes barred - they will go for the jugular if they don't like it. And that does give the program a certain bite.

.....and dare I say, legitimacy.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The editorial integrity won't count for anything if they offer bland/neutral reviews on cars because of sponsor/advertiser nervousness/awareness. Whilst Top Gear UK is now almost a kids show, it's great fun, but seems less about cars and more about a lads situation comedy. However, when they do make a serious review on something, it's no holes barred - they will go for the jugular if they don't like it. And that does give the program a certain bite.

Notwithstanding their demonstrated lack of affinity for any/all Amercian brands, the show is a hoot.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
http://www.insideline.com/car-news/american-top-gear-opens-to-modest-ratings.html

Rating will need a tie-in to grow. Maybe, Leno does free-time, NASCAR drivers, or FIAT, VW sponsorship.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have to say, the second episode was much better than the first.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Fact is the US is desperetly in need of an alternative to the SPEED channel now that it has become the NASCAR channel. This show does indeed lack a little chemistry but I think once they loosen up it could work.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Speed is worthless; with pinks being the bowels.

Funny, when that happens a new cable show is spawned.

I know they are locked in with NASCAR, ALMS, IMSA, auctions, insurers, etc....but when something truly blows, its the alternative thats the winner.