Removed the Wipers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Very cool idea, to those of us who own older Cobras, its not such a crazy idea! Can't wait to see the pics, my try it on my own, only thing to loose is a few minutes work!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Been driving all summer without them and then I put them back on to do a roadtrip (just in case). My wife bitched that they blocked her view and I agreed. The amount of extra visibility is impressive when you remove them. I removed them again as soon as I got home.

I keep them wrapped in a towel and they fit perfectly in the "glove box". Once you realize how quickly they clip on and off, you realize that safety is not an issue. Just 30 seconds and they are fully functional again. Even the washer hoses are slip fit and easy to reinstall if you want.

I tried Rain X once on another car and it left a haze that I could never remove. Did I do something wrong? I'm hesitant to try it again.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've been wiper-free since w. mitty suggested this over a year ago. No regrets, no problems. A little Rain-x for insurance. The wipers are stored in the garage next to the removed child seat bracket.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
TEXAS GT said:
I tried Rain X once on another car and it left a haze that I could never remove. Did I do something wrong? I'm hesitant to try it again.
I just kept buffing in a circular motion until all the haze disappeared. It looks OK to me, but it's the first time I've used RainX.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Florida Chris said:
I've been wiper-free since w. mitty suggested this over a year ago. No regrets, no problems. A little Rain-x for insurance. The wipers are stored in the garage next to the removed child seat bracket.

Removing the child seat bracket is a federal offence, I suppose you take off the labels on your pillows and furnitures as well.... scoflaw :wink

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
TEXAS GT said:

Try this: once you have applied it and buffed it off, mist a bit of water over the windshield and then wipe clean with a microfiber towel. Should remove the haze without disturbing the RainX.

By the way, with the rain that we have here in Arizona (very little and seldom heavy when it does rain) I actually prefer RainX to wipers even when the wipers are ON the car. The way it sheds water at speed provides better visibility for me than the wipers sweeping through my line of sight every two seconds. Even when I'm stopped at a light, there is seldom a problem.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
bony said:
Removing the child seat bracket is a federal offence, I suppose you take off the labels on your pillows and furnitures as well.... scoflaw :wink

Yeah, but I never inhaled... :biggrin

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
wiper stub cap solution

I used the blue twist off plastic top from a Sprite (that also matched the blue of my GT stripes). However, I then painted the caps black. A perfect press on fit! NO need for expensive anodized fittings.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Patent Pending

Sorry, my last post forgot to note that a patent is pending for the cap/stud replacement... future PAT Number P4zbyebye2006

Aug 25, 2006
css 290 said:
Sorry, my last post forgot to note that a patent is pending for the cap/stud replacement... future PAT Number P4zbyebye2006

One has to love creativity

As for the patent; Sprite will likely want a piece of the action to LOL

Takes care

Shadowman

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Windshield Wiper Post Covers

I removed the windshield wipers from my Cobra replica from day one. I keep the wiper arms in the trunk, and use Rain-Ex on the windshield.

To make the wiper linkage a little less noticeable, I cover the posts with small black plastic caps. The caps can be found in hardware stores as "furniture leg caps", or in the auto parts store as "vacuum caps". After trying several different ones, I found some that fit perfectly.

DSCN6709_Large_.JPG

Rain-Ex has been pretty effective. If it starts to rain, just drive faster - that'll usually blow the rain-drops off a Rain-Ex protected windscreen. In twenty-plus years (12 with the Pantera and 10 with the FIA) I've only stopped about three times to put my wipers on (I'm not talking daily driving, of course, I'm only using these cars for pleasure driving).

cobrajeff

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I removed my wipers the other day and it gives a whole new feeling and obviously a much cleaner look both from the inside and out. Too bad Ford didn't find a way to hide them in the first place!!!

The driving experience is much much more enjoyable ( if you can believe it ) because of the significantly improved visibility and makes the car feel unclostifobic. The view from the seats of the hood stripes, bulging fender tops and road is way cool. Try it, you won't believe it. : :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Is it legal to drive without wipers ?:eek :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is it legal to drive without wipers ?:eek :eek

I would think so. Just like in most states not having a front license plate is illegal too. That doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would think so. Just like in most states not having a front license plate is illegal too. That doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Just carry 'em in the V-A-S-T capacity cargo net in back of either seat, and if you're stopped, put 'em back on on the spot. You might not even get a tckt if you do it that way.:shrug (Unless of coarse you're stopped by "my favorite cop - and HIS" here in my home town. THAT guy is just unbelieveable. He'd tckt is own mother ...if he has one...)

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I tried this too. Made me wonder why we needed two.

The drivers should have been a fullsweep single blade IMO. When I took off the drivers it looked like it was designed for one. I think that was something the designers may have overlooked.

Converting would require another cut out in the hood on the drivers side.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
To achieve an even cleaner appearance, I'm considering removing the wiper transmission as well.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Interesting... any pictures?

Pictures anyone ?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Pictures anyone ?
The yellow font you use is nearly impossible to see, although it's OK in the gray shaded response block.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I don't run wipers either, and don't see any reason to drive the car on the 5 rainy days a year we get here. If I get questioned it will be the o'le "some #$^@ SOB stole them last week, parts on thes cars cost a fortune......" If I get pulled over in this car I'm thinking a wiper blade ticket is gonna be the least of my problems.:bored