Removed the Wipers

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Looks at whole lot cleaner/un-cluttered; visibility is greatly improved (I can see my hood); no fear of wiper trails on the windshield. I do not plan to drive the car in the rain, but SH, so the wipers are carefully wrapped and stored in the trunk and the winshield has been treated with Rain-X.

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Interesting... any pictures?

Aug 25, 2006
ACRJoe said:
Looks at whole lot cleaner/un-cluttered; visibility is greatly improved (I can see my hood); no fear of wiper trails on the windshield. I do not plan to drive the car in the rain, but SH, so the wipers are carefully wrapped and stored in the trunk and the winshield has been treated with Rain-X.

You have too much free time on your hands Joe' HaHa

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
ETW said:
Interesting... any pictures?
I'll post a few later this week.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Might want a roll of paper towels too, I really do not plan on driving it in the rain or what ever, but earlier this fall I did leave the car outside for the night, and because of the dew I had to turn on the wipers for the 1st time. would have been a PITA to attach them just for that........

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Thats an old Hall Pantera gimmick. Next thing will be overpriced black anodixzed caps for the wiper shafts

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Dr Robert Harms said:
Thats an old Hall Pantera gimmick. Next thing will be overpriced black anodixzed caps for the wiper shafts

Hey Doc, thanks for refreshing my memory. I've got a set of those caps around here somewhere.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Black Sharpie pen will make them discreet for a whole lot less. :banana

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
PILOTJPW1 said:
Black Sharpie pen will make them discreet for a whole lot less. :banana
I tried a Sharpie Pen but the coverage was poor. I went with Rustoleum semi-gloss black instead and applied it with a 1/4" brush - looks great!

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
ACRJoe said:
I tried a Sharpie Pen but the coverage was poor. I went with Rustoleum semi-gloss black instead and applied it with a 1/4" brush - looks great!

Pretty cheap mod.....

Thanks for posting ACRJoe...

I have found myself peeking under mine while driving and
wondering what it would be like with them off.... I have
had the luck of getting caught in the rain three times
so far ... Would definintly have to keep them in the car ..

:thumbsup

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Ripper 02 said:
I have had the luck of getting caught in the rain three times so far ... Would definintly have to keep them in the car.
Don't forget the RainX .....

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
C'mon guys, I broke this important modification to the forum some time ago. :wink Lose the Wipers

Been drivin' that way ever since with my '06. I like it so much, I'm going to buy a replacement hood and left quarter panel, have the wiper cutouts filled and smoothed, then repainted. That will be about a $8000 cosmetic touch. Or, I guess that I could just ignore the cutouts and buy a whipple...

Seriously, you won't believe how much of an improvement it is to remove the wipers. :thumbsup

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Need For Wipers?

I HAVE OWNED MANY AIRPLANES OVER THE YEARS AND FLOWN IN THE RAIN A BIT. NONE OF THEM HAVE WIPERS. I HAVE FOUND NO NEED FOR THE NON EXISTANT WIPERS BELOW 70 KNOTS. IF YOU HAVE NO WIPERS JUST FILE IFR AND WATCH YOUR INSTRUMENTS. THE RAIN ALWAYS SEEMS TO STREEK OFF THE WINDSCREENUNLESS YOU ARE NOT MOVING. OR JUST FLY VFR ONLY.
FLY LOW FLY FAST AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE WIPERS. :eek :bs :ack
FLY GT40

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
OK, you talked me into it. Tomorrow they are gone.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
w. mitty said:
Seriously, you won't believe how much of an improvement it is to remove the wipers. :thumbsup

You won't believe what an improvement it is to get a whipple !

Seriously, I think this is crazy tinkering with the car and it's safe useability ! :confused

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea first time I got stuck in the rain. I couldn't see much and limped home thinking man that's stupid. Then I put them right back on.

Make sure you keep them in the car!!!

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
In Kalifornia we don't use em much. I'm gonna keep em in the car just in case. :wink

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
w. mitty said:
C'mon guys, I broke this important modification to the forum some time ago.
Indeed you did. Probably how the thought came to mind. No plagiarism intended. Thanks, huge improvement.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
ACRJoe said:
Indeed you did. Probably how the thought came to mind. No plagiarism intended. Thanks, huge improvement.

All in jest :biggrin Nice to see we think alike.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Removed mine today. Will definitely keep them in the car, but like most, I try not to drive in bad weather (but you never know what will happen). As for the appearance - it looks so much cleaner, and the view looking out is much better!