New Z06

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Yeah, the true weekend track dogs are the minority within the buying audience. Nevertheless, I would think that GM did their homework with respect to cooling. GM is now very, very familiar with the track at Spring Mountain - having accumulated easily 10's of thousands of miles there. We know they have to keep their game face, but the reality is that in the hot summer months the ZR1 simply cannot stay out on the track at ballistic output levels for very long. The C6 Z06 can. Let's hope the C7 Z06 in Z07 trim (this is getting confusing) has all of the needed cooling mods.

It is very interesting to note that GM opted to DOWNSIZE the SC from 2.2L on the C6 ZR1 to 1.7L on the new Z06.

Oh, and I think that GT500 on the same track on the same day would have to pit even sooner than the ZR1's for overheating problems.

Heat is a real problem with boost, my NA Cobra makes about 150 less crank HP than my GT with 26 lbs of boost but the Cobra will run all day without over heating, the GT might get 3 laps. I can get about 10-12 laps with my radiator sprayer but that is a huge PIA what with the water tank etc. I would bet that you could get close to 3100 lbs with a NA GT and boy would it handle.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh, and I think that GT500 on the same track on the same day would have to pit even sooner than the ZR1's for overheating problems.

I'm not sure that is true with respect to the 2013-2014 GT500, which has a better intake intercooler and a much larger heat exchanger than the earlier cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not sure that is true with respect to the 2013-2014 GT500, which has a better intake intercooler and a much larger heat exchanger than the earlier cars.

Yeah, but even if it is true, Mustang is around $60k. Nothing will do everything for that amount of money.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Nothing will do everything for that amount of money.

Isn't that relative to 60% of the time it works everytime :lol:lol:lol:lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Isn't that relative to 60% of the time it works everytime :lol:lol:lol:lol

Sponsored by sex panther.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Sponsored by sex panther.

:cheers from the keys.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, improvements in these areas over previous cars but these are designed in attempts to control inlet air temps. Higher inlet air temps = a lot less power (a cylinder full of hot air contains a lot less air than the same cylinder full of cold air). The main contributor to heat in the SC engines is the work (BTU's) the engine is dedicating to spinning the SC. Gross Generalization: A SC engine putting down 600HP to the rear wheels is actually generating about 700 HP - 600 of it is measured at the wheels with a dyno and the other 100HP is not (easily) measured spinning the SC. So, you have a 700HP beast that you are trying to cool (although you are "only") feeling 600.

Trust me - hot weather (90F up) and a good driver (pushing the limits of the car) and the current gen GT 500 would be good for only a short period of time. Luckily, there are many venues with much more reasonable ambient temps - and the GT500 can be enjoyed. :biggrin

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?

SLS black series 622hp

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?

F-Enzo. (2002):wink

and the 599 (2007) and 599 GTO (2010)-said to be faster than Enzo

but again a bunch more cylinders.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Yes Viper

458 speciale (roughly)
F12
FF
Aventador
Huracàn

More cylinders though on most of those. Speciale gets 597 hp out of the little ~4.5L N/A V8.

SLS black series 622hp

F-Enzo. (2002):wink

and the 599 (2007) and 599 GTO (2010)-said to be faster than Enzo

but again a bunch more cylinders.

It's like an encyclopedia in here.:thumbsup That 458 speciale engine is black magic voodoo, and smells like pure gasoline.
Definitely a trend here, big cu in or big $$$.

Let me rephrase: What's the limit for a NA engine in a 2014+ vehicle that is $120K or less?
Will the standard 2018 V8 mustang/vette/etc have a SC forcing the special versions to be SC/TT or TT? When does the hp increase stop ($64K question)?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
have any of you ever seen a C7 person? it looks light a giant piece of plastic. and the motor is just ugly. reminds me of Obama and makes me wanna puke....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
have any of you ever seen a C7 person?

Yes...3 or 4 of them...and always in red or white for some reason. :frown Color is everything on these cars...and even in photos I don't think any color other than (#1) Black, (#2) the dark grey they offer, or (#3) the shade of grey on the ZO6 above belongs on/complimebts the lines of the car. (As I mentioned earlier, I like the looks of the yellow in the 3 Jalopnik photos - but, it evidently isn't actually that shade in person.)

...it looks light a giant piece of plastic...

Uh, what's your SPF GT40's body made of again? :lol Evidently I can't see what you obviously do with regard to that 'issue'.

...and the motor is just ugly...

Shoot, Freddy - ya can't even SEE its darned "motor"! It's buried under about 60 sq ft of 'cover'...like 99% of all the other "motors" these days!

That's enough 'pot sturring' on my part tonight! 'Need my beauty sleep...:wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I see them frequently being in Detroit. By summer, every third car on Woodward will be a C7. Some combos look pretty good, some look a little weird. I actually saw a black one driving home last night while we had very light snow.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is a white vert in the GM booth at Barrett Jackson. It has a dark brown saddle like leather, that for a vette looked pretty good.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
C7s are already common here. Most colors and two Premiere Editions seen at the same time, which is remarkable considering there are only 500 total. Of those seen moving, all drivers were old guys.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
C7s are already common here. Most colors and two Premiere Editions seen at the same time, which is remarkable considering there are only 500 total. Of those seen moving, all drivers were old guys.
With or without the "gold chains"?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

With, but not as heavy as the Ferrari guys' chains.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Of those seen moving, all drivers were old guys.

'Means nothing! The majority of drivers down there are old! :biggrin

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Come on Roger!
As you know, I have a much modified Cyber Gray GS as a DD.
AND, no chains!
Best,
Mark

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Come on Roger!
As you know, I have a much modified Cyber Gray GS as a DD.
AND, no chains!
Best,
Mark

When I had my C5 convertible, I always wore my gold chain. If I had a Ferrari, I'd probably be sporting the EP edition Ferrari horsey underoos!!!!