New Z06

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Glad the were able to refrain from installing any random chrome accent pieces.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This makes the grey look better. The tone in the first pic was too warm from the lighting.

BeCLbrFCcAAcEG7.jpg:large

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Anyone else surprised Chevy went away from the NA 7 liter for the Z06? Does this effectively eliminate the ZR1?
I'm kind of puzzled by the addition of the SC to what was their NA track day car, (and I still think the rear end is uuggllyy).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone else surprised Chevy went away from the NA 7 liter for the Z06? Does this effectively eliminate the ZR1?
I'm kind of puzzled by the addition of the SC to what was their NA track day car, (and I still think the rear end is uuggllyy).

Not surprised at all. Only way to keep up in the power wars and stay within emissions regs. As with the manual trans, the NA motor is going the way of the Dodo.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?

Yes Viper

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes Viper

458 speciale (roughly)
F12
FF
Aventador
Huracàn

More cylinders though on most of those. Speciale gets 597 hp out of the little ~4.5L N/A V8.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Yes Viper
Ahh yes.. in my mind the 10 and 12 cyl cars are in a different category. Not sure why.

No replacement for displacement :biggrin

viper engine.jpg

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Is that the new 4L Whipple? ^^^^^

Howard

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?"

Ford Coyote/Boss is making 88 hp/liter from the factory. If Chevy LS7 427 made the same/liter it would be 600+. Is it just a durability issue or the $$ for upgrade/development?

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the antiquated Chevy push rod design compared to the Ford alternative, but I'm also aware that GM isn't exactly loaded with R&D $$ for a new DOHC worldbeater.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is it just a durability issue...?

In a word, yes, IMHO. To get to the 427 displacement within the confines of the SBC block, the cyl walls of the LS7 are, of necessity, too thin to withstand any real boost...and 'live'.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In a word, yes, IMHO. To get to the 427 displacement within the confines of the SBC block, the cyl walls of the LS7 are, of necessity, too thin to withstand any real boost...and 'live'.

Dodge did the same thing on the Challenger (and others) when they did the 6.1L Hemi. They bored the 5.7L and as a result the 5.7L was the tuner's choice.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I really need to get me one of those as soon as they land in europe.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I agree. Not the best choice for a "track" car, but they had to keep up in the HP wars. I hope that they resolved the heat soak problems that the ZR1 had when tracked.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Just like engine coolant systems can be designed to withstand the rigors of track duty, so too can the coolant systems for superchargers. I understand the new GT500 has been successfully tracked without heat soaking.

Although I am a huge fan of the Ford modular motors, they are enormous and fairly complex. I really appreciate the simplicity of the small push rod Chevy engine. More power to GM for keeping it competitive.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This makes the grey look better.

BeCLbrFCcAAcEG7.jpg:large

IF the photo accurately depicts what the grey really looks like - THAT'S the color to have. IMHO, black would be more sinister looking by far...but, the grey would be sooooo much easier to maintain...and it IS darned good looking. 'No question whatsoever.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just like engine coolant systems can be designed to withstand the rigors of track duty, so too can the coolant systems for superchargers. I understand the new GT500 has been successfully tracked without heat soaking... I really appreciate the simplicity of the small push rod Chevy engine. More power to GM for keeping it competitive.

+1

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
IF the photo accurately depicts what the grey really looks like - THAT'S the color to have. IMHO, black would be more sinister looking by far...but, the grey would be sooooo much easier to maintain...and it IS darned good looking. 'No question whatsoever.

at least on my screen there is a white point shift from the other photo. The table in the background is a good reference. It is a nice color. Sort of like the tungsten in our 06s

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
"Not surprised when considering... displacement vs. desired hp vs. emissions vs. durability. Can you get 600+ hp NA now?"

Ford Coyote/Boss is making 88 hp/liter from the factory. If Chevy LS7 427 made the same/liter it would be 600+. Is it just a durability issue or the $$ for upgrade/development?

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the antiquated Chevy push rod design compared to the Ford alternative, but I'm also aware that GM isn't exactly loaded with R&D $$ for a new DOHC worldbeater.

The LS package size is very impressive compared to Ford modular designs especially when you factor in displacement. The LS engine family has a lot going for it when you consider weight, cost to manufacture
physical size and fuel economy. The recent engine masters challenge for normally aspirated engines was won by Ford modular engines but there were LS engines that were very close in specific output
which is very impressive for a push rod 2 valve design. They can be built up to and slightly over 460 CID which is excellent when you consider physical size and its' 440 lb weight.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, the true weekend track dogs are the minority within the buying audience. Nevertheless, I would think that GM did their homework with respect to cooling. GM is now very, very familiar with the track at Spring Mountain - having accumulated easily 10's of thousands of miles there. We know they have to keep their game face, but the reality is that in the hot summer months the ZR1 simply cannot stay out on the track at ballistic output levels for very long. The C6 Z06 can. Let's hope the C7 Z06 in Z07 trim (this is getting confusing) has all of the needed cooling mods.

It is very interesting to note that GM opted to DOWNSIZE the SC from 2.2L on the C6 ZR1 to 1.7L on the new Z06.

Oh, and I think that GT500 on the same track on the same day would have to pit even sooner than the ZR1's for overheating problems.