Northeast
With or without the "gold chains"?

Nicely done!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone here have one of these? Would like some real world feedback. TIA.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The people I know who have them love the car. I drove a Z51 equipped Stingray and really liked it. It's too bad the new Corvettes have the worst paint I've seen on a modern car. Also keep in mind that the Corvette "new car smell" is akin to huffing contact cement.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Didn't take that close of a look at the paint. A lot of orange peel?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Didn't take that close of a look at the paint. A lot of orange peel?

Orange peel, thin spots, sagging, you name it. Coincidentally, my son and I stopped by a Chevrolet dealer on the way home from the pistol range this evening. They had several Z06s and a bunch of Stingrays. The paint on all of the cars was truly awful. This is coming from someone who isn't particular about paint. All of the new Corvettes I've seen had similar paint. To be fair, many of the manufacturers are having problems with the new paint formulation, but the Corvette is the worst of the lot.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's too bad the new Corvettes have the worst paint I've seen on a modern car.

A lot of orange peel?

Orange peel, thin spots, sagging, you name it...The paint on all of the cars was truly awful.

'Sounds like not much has changed since I ordered my last one in 1973. The rear fascia of that car was particularly bad. It had major league orange peel as well as a couple of 'runs' that were visible from 20 feet away, believe it or not.

I refused delivery.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
1973 was only 42 years ago. GM still needs time to sort this out.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How bad is the paint on the C7? So bad that there was a petition on Change.org. Did it result in change? No.

https://www.change.org/p/general-motors-improve-the-quality-of-the-paint-on-the-2014-corvette-stingray

Google "C7 Corvette paint problems."

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have had at least 10 of the 2015 Z06 Corvettes. None of them had these paint issues you guys are talking about. Corvettes have always had a fair amount of orange peel, but, I have not had any with sags, runs, dry spots or anything like that mentioned previously.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Perhaps your Corvettes are just special.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Have run with a few ZR1's and Z06's at the track and the cars are fast. Never really looked closely at the paint.
My buddy has a couple year old bone stock ZR1 (similar power) and he really likes the car on the street and the track. All we do is switch wheels for the track and it's a beast.
Not as rowdy as some full blown street cars turned into track cars but fast nonetheless and he can drive it home and put on the AC.
We throw the other set of wheels in the trailer and away we go.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Also keep in mind that the Corvette "new car smell" is akin to huffing contact cement.

This is one of the things I could never understand. The hazy film that develops on the inside of the windshield when it's hot and the accompanying smell. Both Corvettes I owned did this. What exactly is gassing out that creates this situation? Can I be prosecuted for running some type of drug lab if it gets tested by law enforcement?

As for the paint, almost everyone has crappy paint now. Corvette I understand because the car is cheap and truly mass produced, but look at a $350k Ferrari and it's no better. McLaren makes a lot of boneheaded decisions, but whatever they have going on in their paint process, the paint quality is generally phenomenal.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Mclaren has had their paint issues too upto about ~1500vin

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
This is one of the things I could never understand. The hazy film that develops on the inside of the windshield when it's hot and the accompanying smell. Both Corvettes I owned did this. What exactly is gassing out that creates this situation?

Too much Xochimilcos.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
McLaren makes a lot of boneheaded decisions, but whatever they have going on in their paint process, the paint quality is generally phenomenal.

I agree. Viper has excellent paint too.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
This is one of the things I could never understand. The hazy film that develops on the inside of the windshield when it's hot and the accompanying smell. .... .

Plasticizers added to the PVC used in the interiors. The sun rays accelerate the vaporization hence the film on the inside of the windshield.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
McLaren makes a lot of boneheaded decisions, but whatever they have going on in their paint process, the paint quality is generally phenomenal.

Approximately one-third of the McLaren Production Centre where they assemble the cars is devoted to paint. No robots that I could see, just a ton of guys in white suits and respirators

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Shoddy paint and carcinogenic fumes. Check. Will keep an eye out for that.
Can these be had for below sticker? Haven't seen one yet.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Yup, they can...upwards of 5K under sticker now. They're starting to languish on the lots now...there's enough production out there now. A8's are a bit harder to get, but still available now.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
At the NAIAS this year, the two cars that won "best paint" in my opinion was the new NSX and this:

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 198