New member with lots of Q's about a car I bid on EBay, with Salvage title

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I have 35k on mine so I get a LOT of Smiles per gallon!
Tomcat, are you former Naval Aviation? So am I.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I have 35k on mine so I get a LOT of Smiles per gallon!
Also, at 35Kmi, that's the highest mileage I've seen. Is anyone ahead of you in driving it regularly?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also, at 35Kmi, that's the highest mileage I've seen. Is anyone ahead of you in driving it regularly?

Many have driven more. Jeff is the current champ. He passed 100k miles last summer. He's probably over 110k by now.

Tomcat

GT Owner
F-14 RIO Active 1982-1993, AEDO Reserves 1993-2011
Tom "Biff" Baranek my brother is Dave "Bio" Baranek (also F-14 RIO, Topgun Instructor, CO, VF-211)
Do we know each other?
What is your background?
tbaranek@earthlink.net

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Many have driven more. Jeff is the current champ. He passed 100k miles last summer. He's probably over 110k by now.

Just took the GT out of the garage today. It's been there since November. Longest period of being inactive and in the garage since I've owned it..

Delivery day was 3/15/2006 it had 3.2 miles on it.

And on 4/29/2014 it has 108,146.2.

(Mark M. you've got a long way to go!)

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Just took the GT out of the garage today. It's been there since November. Longest period of being inactive and in the garage since I've owned it..

Delivery day was 3/15/2006 it had 3.2 miles on it.

And on 4/29/2014 it has 108,146.2.

(Mark M. you've got a long way to go!)

How much is a 100k ford GT worth because I want to drive mine that many miles also. I put about 3 fo 4000 miles a year but I live in a winter zone.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Some of you suggested I post a pic of the car. What's the best way to do that? As my avatar? Some other method?

Also, I need a pair of new rear tires, and I might go for all 4. It has Goodyear Eagle Supercar tires on it now. Based on my experience in other car forums, I'm sure that discussions about the "best" tires are like discussions about oil--verbose and opinionated. However, if there is a recent thread on this topic, I'd appreciate directions to it.

Thanks to all.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You can post pictures directly as an attachment. Or you can upload to photobucket and paste the link.

Tires: Just buy a set of the Bridgestones. Lots of people here have them (me among them) and although I never drove the car with the original F1's, consensus is the Bridgestones are an improvement over the Goodyears.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
PeteK,
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the Forum.

Soon to be former Naval Aviator here. Flew Harriers for a few years.

Best Regards,
Waldo

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks for the tire recommendations. I picked up the car yesterday and drove it to Katies Cars and Coffee, in Great Falls, VA this morning. I was the only GT there, although TWO people brought Ferarri F40's. Still, I'd say the interest level in my FGT was about the most of any car there. I'll see some of you in Leonardtown tomorrow.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Let me also ask some advice on posting in the Forum. I want to ask about alignment settings, since the old rear tires are worn more on the inner edge than the outside, especially the left rear. Alignment process looks pretty straightforward, with washers or spacers bolted under the A-arm attachments, so you just shim to decrease the negative camber on the wheel. Should I start this new thread in the Tech section, or start it in the General Discussion?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Tech.
Have a friend that took some pics of your car this morning. I'll post them here if he gets around to uploading them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Let me also ask some advice on posting in the Forum. I want to ask about alignment settings, since the old rear tires are worn more on the inner edge than the outside, especially the left rear. Alignment process looks pretty straightforward, with washers or spacers bolted under the A-arm attachments, so you just shim to decrease the negative camber on the wheel. Should I start this new thread in the Tech section, or start it in the General Discussion?

I would suggest doing a "search" first. Many of these topics have been covered in the past. One of the compelling things about this forum is the wealth of tech info. I would think your questions outlined above would go to the tech section.

Secondly, I would strongly encourage you to get a service/parts manual. I ordered mine on CD from Helm, Inc. Printed ones show up on eBay every once in a while. Regardless if yours is a 05 or 06 get the 06 manual - it corrects some errors.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Here you go

14098776234_2bec8b907c_b.jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yup, that's her.

Tony, I agree with you about getting the shop manual--the most important tool in the toolbox.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Was that a '52 Lincoln Capri parked beside your GT by any chance???

'Haven't seen one of those in decades!

(Edit: 'Curiosity was killing me, so I Googled it...and I think it is a Capri:)

https://www.google.com/search?q=195...rks.com%2F1952-1954-lincoln-capri.htm;400;192

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Roketman, thanks. ALso, I watched your video of racing Lime Rock. Great stuff. I have driven a number of tracks with the Porsche Club. SUmmit Point (WV) was my go-to track, and I've been there a couple dozen times.

Have you posted anywhere the mods you made to your car to go racing?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Just read through your entire thread. I think you were wise to pass on the rebuilt car. You got a nice car that has been enjoyed as the miles show, but has been taken care of and I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. Congrats!