New member with lots of Q's about a car I bid on EBay, with Salvage title

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hey guys (and from the threads, it looks like you're all guys), I'm a new member and have a bunch of questions regarding your favorite car. I've been lurking for a few months and reading the great information here, but just registered last week. I'm re=posting this message from a thread on straightening a chassis in which I originally posted it.

I was the high bidder on a GT on Ebay last Friday. It was the red one in Miami, with a salvage/rebuilt title. I'm looking for your collective wisdom on buying this car, or buying a GT in general. I want some advice on what to look for on this car to make sure it was correctly repaired. I have a lot of experience working on cars, so I am not put off by things that I can fix myself, but I am not very good at bodywork--that's a real skill and art.

Here is some additional info: The car was wrecked in 2010 in California, then sold through a dealer/insurance auction site. The current owner says he had it repaired, and he's owned it for 3 years, so that means he probably was the buyer at that auction. He says he had it shipped to Panama (he is from Panama) and then back to the US. At first he said it was repaired in the US, then he said it was repaired in Panama. His written english is not very good, so it's hard to make out the exact chronology.

However, I am proceeding with caution, since his written communications to me were not clear.

The VIN is 1fafp90s05y400540. Here is the link to the site that auctioned it in 2010:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfind..._SAN_DIEGO_CA/

You can see from the pictures it was heavily damaged in the back, where it appears it hit a wall going backwards as it ended its spin. The right rear wheel was visibly of alignment, and the rear panel was pushed in enough to push forward the air box in the engine compartment. At the price I bid, I don't have a problem with this situation, as long as it was correctly repaired, using new or good used parts. He claims it was repaired "LIKE NEW." Of course, we've all heard that before...

If it looks like it was poorly repaired, or there are parts that were bent and straightened, but not very well--especially structural parts--I have no qualms walking away from this one and paying more for a better car. I have a Mercedes Club friend looking at it for me tomorrow, and I plan to go Miami this Thursday to inspect it, at an independent shop he referred me to. If it checks out, I'll close the deal and drive it back to Northern Virginia.

As your member "Xcentric" signs his messages, "If you don't drive it, what's the point?" I like to say, "If you want art, get something you can hang on the wall--cars are for driving!" I plan to drive it regularly, so a low-mile pristine example is not what I'm after. A good driving car with higher mileage and a few bumps and nicks will make me less concerned about collecting a few more.

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers to a newbie--I've been on the opposite side of the exchange on the MercedesList mailing list (aka, the Stu Ritter List). So if any of you have questions about Mercedes, I probably can return the favors.

And if any of you are in northern Virginia (I live in Great Falls), or the DC area, I'd love to talk to you about this car and GT's in general. My phone is 703-772-5525.

Pete K, in Northern Virginia

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
The link I pasted above to the auction pictures of the damage wasn't complete. Try this link instead:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfin...11570480/COPART_2005_FORD_GT_CA_SAN_DIEGO_CA/

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Take my PPI list with you at a minimum and look closely at the front and rear bumper standoff to cast aluminum frame connections. Should have photos and documentation to verify repair was done correctly. Strongly recommend you have a FGT tech perform the PPI.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28160-FGT-PPI-List?highlight=List

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Deleted.

'Already been said...

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Take my PPI list with you at a minimum and look closely at the front and rear bumper standoff to cast aluminum frame connections. Strongly recommend you have a FGT tech perform the PPI.

I totally agree with this. You really need to know what you are getting into and what it will cost to put it back together. A round trip air fare and advice will be money well spent.

Good luck!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Partssman: Your PPI is EXACTLY what I was hoping for--thanks.

As for FGT experienced tech doing the PPI, I'm a pretty good wrench, but I recognize the value of someone who is familiar with these cars catching things I wouldn't. Can anyone recommend one in Miami?

Twobjshelbys: The car already was repaired. I just need to make sure it was done right. From the pictures I can see that it is missing the rear diffuser and side skirts--What do these cost? I have seen a rear diffuser from one aftermarket supplier that is under $500, which isn't bad. (I should go to the Ford parts site and check too)

Also, anyone: What do extra keys and fobs cost?

Thanks to all, Pete K

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Pete
I'm from Miami but the only suggestion I can provide is to talk to the technician that used to work on mine when he was at midway ford. He has recently gone on his own. Rock is also from Miami perhaps he's got someone he can also suggest.
Ernie

Techs name is Rene Perez
His email is rperez1436@bellsouth.net

Cell phone is (786) 251-0328

If this doesn't work out send me a pm and let me see what other option I can come up with
Good luck and welcome

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ernie, thank you for the reference to Rene Perez. I will contact him by email tonight and cell phone tomorrow.

This forum is a great resource.

Pete K

I'd suggest flying a real expert (GT Guys, Rich Roback or a few others) down to look at it. It will be worth the money to be sure you're not getting stuck.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With a salvage car I would have the GT Guy from MI check it out. They have done the most work of this type and thus has the most experience on what good repairs should look like and what hack jobs to avoid.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With a salvage car I would have the GT Guy from MI check it out. They have done the most work of this type and thus has the most experience on what good repairs should look like and what hack jobs to avoid.

The rear diffusor is part of the rear belly pan and sold as a unit from Ford. The after market parts are the diffusor only. Last I check the OEM belly pan was about 1500 to 2000 and that was more than 2 year ago.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I could ask my GT Tech if he's interested and able to make a trip to Miami (it's about 3 1/2 hours from here) if you can't find someone local.

Did we ever meet at Katie's or Kohl's (Fair Lakes)?

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'd suggest flying a real expert (GT Guys, Rich Roback or a few others) down to look at it. It will be worth the money to be sure you're not getting stuck.

This is your best bet the GT guys .They have fixed and worked on more GT's than everyone else combined
I'm not saying that others aren't good but clearly they have the most experience
Go to there web site and read up on there back ground and history . That will convince you!
Also 2 of the nicest honest people I know
Just my 02
Best of luck
Ps if you can afford the price of the salvage title car . Just spend a little more for a no issue , no story GT

Tomcat

GT Owner
I'm in northern North Carolina (Greensboro) and I hope it all works out.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'm in northern North Carolina (Greensboro) and I hope it all works out.
Tomcat,
I am in Greensboro quite a bit.I usually stay at The Proximity .My children go to Highpoint and Elon for I hope higher education.
Perhaps we could connect next school year.I plan on visiting them and Driving my Gt down from Ma.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
I will definitely have rich do a inspection I have seen pics off the car before it was fixed and it looked like the roof and doors had major issues lining up .not to scare you but for piece of mind I will have a pro check the car out .

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
The GT Guys are coming to Leonardtown, Maryland on 5/2-5/4 2014!! You could contact them to look at the GT then!!!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tomcat,
I am in Greensboro quite a bit.I usually stay at The Proximity .My children go to Highpoint and Elon for I hope higher education.
Perhaps we could connect next school year.I plan on visiting them and Driving my Gt down from Ma.

I know the hotel and the Print Works bistro. Man, if you drive down, we MUST get together...my garage/lift can be made available.
45 minutes from VIR!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
By some of the pictures that you posted, I'd be pretty certain that the frame of the car has been compromised. One example is the pic where you can see the top of the driver's side rear shock broken out from its mount to the cast frame tower. Any cracks or breaks in the aluminum frame structure of the car and Ford's (safe) position is that the frame must be replaced. You can likely employ any of a handful of GT experts around the Country to tell you that the frame has been damaged and subsequently repaired. Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what you are going to find - a frame that has been damaged - likely in multiple locations, and then subsequently repaired. Your challenge will be that these GT experts can likely locate the point of repairs - because they know from experience what is normal and what is not - but none of these GT experts in my opinion would be qualified to give you an opinion about the strength or quality of repairs. For example, let's assume that the GT has an obvious fill-welded "repair" in a cast structural frame piece. At GT PPI person can hopefully notice some of these (although some shops can make it VERY hard to differentiate from OEM), but you'd additionally need a degree'd engineer / aluminum repair expert to give you a credible opinion about the quality of repair. Looks of a repair and inherent strength/viability of repair are two very different things.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I could ask my GT Tech if he's interested and able to make a trip to Miami (it's about 3 1/2 hours from here) if you can't find someone local.

Did we ever meet at Katie's or Kohl's (Fair Lakes)?

We probably have met in passing at Katie's. I frequently go there on nice Saturdays, since it's in my neighborhood. I've seen a red GT (probably yours). I talked with Dino Andreotis several times a year ago about his Heritage colored car, and that prodded me in the direction of getting my own. 'Course, he sold his last year… I wish I'd bought one a year ago before the recent price jump!

Pete K