I just went stupid for storage space

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Took a superb 2 hour trip in the GT last weekend to visit my son in college (wife went to see daughter at different college; simultaneous 'Parents Days'). Just me, one overnight bag, and absolutely no room left. I mean my glasses, cell phone, radar, cup, all contending for 4 cubic inches of nothing. A bit of a pain (offset by having the worlds best torque curve and exhaust note!)

In preparation for another trip, thought I'd attempt to relieve the storage burden slightly.

1. Bought two document/manual holders. Figured I'd find a place to mount unobtrusively for oddment storage. Behind seats? Along driver's tunnel? Not sure. Gonna get creative.
2. Got two 'GT' logo'd bags (not cover bags, smaller) that supposedly fit up front. Considering mounting them to firewall (again, no intentions of cutting or altering anything; surface mounting only.) They'll fit, hold stuff off floor, look cool, hold things still accessible from driver's seat.
3. Designing center console, hinged lid, padded top, for cell, glasses, whatever. Ewing's things are gorgeous, but I find solace in building things.
4. Got the GT tray for radio area. Really neat little piece, surprisingly functional for size.
5. Mat mounted cupholder (for a Mini) works fantastically. Had one in my 512TR, great simple, removable solution.
6. Getting roof mounted garage door opener cubby. Another potential spot for glasses.

All these things should free up a tiny bit of space, or at least neaten up the 'tossing it behind the seat and hoping it doesn't get crushed' approach.

Does anyone know what 'space' might hopefully lurk beneath the door armrests? Or do I just stop where I am before going completely nuts?

Other ideas?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Here"s what I do.
A wonderful forum member named Al made me some saddle style bags that mount behind the seats on the fire wall.They hold quite a bit.
I also have the Stormcat cup holders which do double duty for an 8oz water and Sun glasses.Ditch the owners manual and use that little space.
I also bought 2 Ford Gt car cover bags from Torrie at Fastparts network for clothes My wife gets one and I get one.I put one in the trunk if you can call it a trunk.The other one my wife puts in the foot well in front of her feet or behind the seat.The most important item I pack is a tire repair/plug kit.No spare makes me a little nervous,even though I have never had a flat in my travels.
Now if I could just get my wife to join me in the GT I would be in heaven!
Jeff and Ralphie have both traveled to almost every state.Maybe they have some insight!

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Good stuff. Agreed on the tire repair kit. Could be a life saver and thanks for that reminder. I'm determined to eke out some 'smart' space. I may start 'GTSTORAGESPACE.com' and retire comfortably. Right. Yes, I have ditched the idea of a roof rack. I look at my Pantera and marvel at the packaging of that car though. Front and rear trunk, what luxury! Keep any ideas coming.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do you not use the pockets on the front of the seat cushions? Kip Ewing already makes a replacement center console storage bin, in two versions. Ralphie, Larson and Hilo Dave have driven cross-country (both ways) several times. I've driven to a couple Rallies with race gear and tools. As long as I'm by myself, never a lack of room for weeks worth of luggage. This includes a folding chair for the track. StromCat's bottleholders are great. As long as you pack soft, easy to get lots of stuff in the car.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Didn't somebody make a conversion where the clamshell opens the opposite direction and trunk space is added at the rear?

Did they make a matching FGT trailer too?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Two people have made trailer hitches and then small, matching trailers. Bernard (who used to work for Genaddi) does a rear trunk conversion. He's in Florida now. There are pictures here somewhere of the blue car.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Two people have made trailer hitches and then small, matching trailers. Bernard (who used to work for Genaddi) does a rear trunk conversion. He's in Florida now. There are pictures here somewhere of the blue car.

You know, I vaguely remember seeing that trunk conversion! Seems they were carbon or composite 'boxes' that fit in a void rearward of tire well. Probably not suitable for chocolates, but storage nonetheless.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The trunk conversion placed behind the airbox and needed a strait back exhaust and a reverse opening clamshell too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I need to see the pics again. If it increased engine bay temps, I'd be out.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It did not increase temps. It ran the width of the rear fascia and you cound fit a set of golfclubs (albeit small) in the box. Ice is right about the exhaust. The clamshell re-work was extensive.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Check out this site. I have no affiliation or experience, but this is the rear trunk design. http://www.guerin-design.com/products.html

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Koenigsegg had a nice solution for storage

http://www.autojunk.nl/2011/04/een-stukje-rijden-in-de-koenigsegg-agera-r

I don't understand a word but looking good

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Koenigsegg had a nice solution for storage

http://www.autojunk.nl/2011/04/een-stukje-rijden-in-de-koenigsegg-agera-r

I don't understand a word but looking good

Look like a ski carrier. IMO that makes no sense at all to drive that car in the snow!

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Look like a ski carrier. IMO that makes no sense at all to drive that car in the snow!

Nor with the aerodynamic coffin attached to the roof.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Hey it's storage space

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Depending on the length of trip, there is a volume between the air box an the rear frame extrusion where I will put a couple of 2-3 gallon plastic Ziploc-type bags, filled with towels (washing & drying), extra pants (Levi's), overalls, etc., for extra storage area. I also used to use the volume under the transaxle cooler for more smaller plastic bags for laundry detergent, dryer soft sheets, and towels, but, alas, no more after I installed the Safecraft halon fire suppression system, as the extinguisher bottle takes up the access to that volume.

I wouldn't recommend these areas for a stock car, due to the extra heat generated by the OEM or Borla muffler, but for an X or H tube, or a Borla rear exit header system like mine, these areas around the engine remain cool and dry for storage of items which can withstand warm temps. Once arriving at a destination, I remove them for operation on a track (although I've forgotten a couple of times, without incident).

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Take out the air filters and there is room for underwear and socks.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I'm not sure I understand the problem. And the passenger seat was still available

Attachments

• 330_32053661602_3117_n.jpg
    330_32053661602_3117_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 209

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I'm not sure I understand the problem. And the passenger seat was still available

I find it hard to believe you can pack all of that inside a FGT. Must of been stuffed the the roof on the passenger side.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I find it hard to believe you can pack all of that inside a FGT. Must of been stuffed the the roof on the passenger side.

He said the passenger seat was still available. I call BS unless there's a pic:) I don't see any possible way that one suitcase can fit much less all that other stuff.