I just went stupid for storage space

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
He's pullin our chain.............

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think he took the passenger seat out, that's why he said it was available. Available for someone to buy! :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I would think to actually fit all that stuff would require removal of the passenger seat AND engine. Perhaps he then just pushed the chassis to his destination:)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You guys just haven't traveled much in your cars. You can put one suitcase on the passenger floor, one behind the passenger seat, and the rest is easy. I myseld prefer softsided stuff. Just becasue you haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done. Once again, I'll reference Ralphie, Larson and Hilo Dave traveling cross country on several occasions.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
OK, I thought this might be coming. the two airport roll-alongs at the back of the pile go behind the seats....nothing breakable in them. two cylindrical containers (recommend using folding lawn chair bags and have your tailor install zippers full length..ideal for underwear, socks and rolled T-shirts.) these go behind the seats, beside the roll-alongs. Now sit in each seat and push back to compress. The vest and soft hoodie at the front of the pile, go one on each side on top of the suitcases.
The tent is a minimalist two person ( fits 1 1/2), the sleeping bag was a super thin summer bicycle bag, an aerolight sleeping pad and sail-silk ground sheet. All soft, crushable, and able to fit in the front trunk along with the rollerblades and helmet. It's a bit like one of those slidey puzzles--you have to move it all around until there are no voids left. Had to leave the mountain bike behind and rent one in Moab.
The largish red and black bag went just in front of the passenger seat, comfortably under their knees.
Small black bag is my map, trip log, etc. bag. That was the only thing on the passenger seat since I wanted it handy, and could have sat beside, or on the lap of a passenger.
Actually I also had a 2 quart ice cream pail with some detailing supplies tucked in the clamshell (where the oil-cooler is going to go)

And it has nothing to do with the fact that the Canadian cars were all just a little bit bigger.

Attachments

• 330_32053661602_3117_n.jpg
    330_32053661602_3117_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You must be a lot shorter than me. When I sit in the car my seat doesn't have much space at all. No chance even one of the roll alongs are going to fit behind the drivers seat. I can possible see if I had no passenger I could jam all of that inside, but if I make a fast right hand turn the pile would fall over on me.

You got to make a video loading and unloading the car and invite Guinness over. I bet you get a world record out of that!

Your name isn't Johnny, is it?

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Being 5'7" probably helps, and the "pile" is under enough compression it's going nowhere.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Like Dr. Frank said, if you use soft luggage (duffel bags/stuff sacks) you can fit a tremendous amount in the car. Having traveled cross country many times on a motorcycle, I've learned to use compressible luggage. My clothes won't get to the destination wrinkle-free, but they will get there. If you are a pansy and pack like a woman you will have a problem getting everything in the car, but if you are a man about it, you will have no problem. :lol Who really needs more than one pair of underwear? I am about 6' and still have enough room behind the driver seat to fit a duffel bag.

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
FED X your stuff to and from the hotel. I have my stuff shipped from my office so it arrives when I do.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
You got to make a video loading and unloading the car and invite Guinness over. I bet you get a world record out of that!
Your name isn't Johnny, is it?

Actually name be John, occasionally called Johnny-Mac, but I seem to be missing your reference??

Even If you're 6' 4" you should be able to put some grown up clothes in a suit-bag to squash behind the driver's seat, and use one roll-along behind the seat on the passenger side unless the travelling companion is also really tall.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Actually name be John, occasionally called Johnny-Mac, but I seem to be missing your reference??

Even If you're 6' 4" you should be able to put some grown up clothes in a suit-bag to squash behind the driver's seat, and use one roll-along behind the seat on the passenger side unless the travelling companion is also really tall.

Suit bag yes, roll along no way on either side if a passenger is on board. I find just carrying a helmet takes almost the whole passenger footwell.

I'm only 6',0" but like the seat about 3" from full back with a seat reclined some so that my head clears the roof.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We put small backpacks (daypacks) behind the seats. They hold notebook PCs and clothes. A duffel under the passengers legs. And the car cover bag becomes a duffel. Occasionally, it helps to be short.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
what about those suction cups where you can hang clothes on the glass behind the seats?

I went "Mac Delete" so shoving a travel bag behind the seat is not an option due to amp/ speaker box....

re: Blue car at R2, he had a set of clubs in the rear compartment!
IMG_0071.jpg

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Update: Finally got a couple things installed. The console tray is great. Installed a Bell sunglass holder attached to center headliner area, faces driver. Out of way, works, removable. Recommended. Not bad for 10 bucks, here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160874718289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Then built a small console with two cubbies. One forward is hinged (magnetic clasp to close). The rearward is open. Excuse sorry pics, but you get the idea. Oh, the center 'GT' emblem is a wheel center.
Ford GT console before.jpg Hard, and not so useful.
Ford GT console after.jpg Comfortable lid.
Console open front compartment.jpg Decent hidden area.
Console open.jpg Small open area. Have no idea why the color appears mismatched here. Flash weirdness. It is dead on, rich black on black.

I feel like I've tripled storage space.

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
what about those suction cups where you can hang clothes on the glass behind the seats?

I went "Mac Delete" so shoving a travel bag behind the seat is not an option due to amp/ speaker box....

re: Blue car at R2, he had a set of clubs in the rear compartment!
View attachment 28342
There's no way I would cannibalize my GT for this -

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My wife has it figured out. She doesn't bring or ship one thing. She buys all new stuff at the destination & then donates it before leaving! Problem solved!

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

You went "Mac Relocate," not Mac delete. I was going to go Mac relocate, but I realized I have never had the Mac on while driving. So...I'm going Mac delete so I can get rid of the tumor and still have storage space behind the seats.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
You went "Mac Relocate," not Mac delete. I was going to go Mac relocate, but I realized I have never had the Mac on while driving. So...I'm going Mac delete so I can get rid of the tumor and still have storage space behind the seats.

My next mission: Mac Relocation. Like, "to a shelf somewhere". I've turned on the radio maybe 3 times before, each time for a lesser quality sound than I had before I turned it on. More storage coming!