GT 40 Event Marque Road America

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, in a nutshell. Activites starting on Wednesday. Can sign up for each day individually. Saturday the 18th is for cars like ours, meaning track touring starting at noon (cost $75, must fill out application), Road & Track Concours (cost $60, Class 11E, modern era Ford GT) with judging from 6:30-8:00 PM, awards at 9:00, final judging at Sunday morning, we can get special parking in the paddock, can rent a tent (20x20 ~ $600), need tickets to get in ($40). To get all the goodies, we have to be registered by June 15, but you can buy admission tickets even at the gate. Will be looking into hotels this weekend. Apparently need to stay on North end of Milwaukee for "good" accomodations.

Frank

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've spent about an hour searching for hotels/motels on the North end of Milwaukee. Nothing with a parking garage. Better hotels are downtown. Still have one more person to talk to about stuff around the track, but if you guys want to go, looks like no covered parking for the cars unless we book in downtown Milwaukee. My thought is: drive in Friday, go to track early Saturday morning, drive back to hotel in Milwaukee Saturday night, everybody goes home Sunday sometime. Gordon Wolf has shown some interest, but he would come in from Minnesota. Indy, you would be the next furthest. Give me some ideas guys, or put up some posts. FRank

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
I have a 30x100' storage/shop space that during the summer, except for my Z06 and Viper,(I will be at the track with the GT) is wide open. 18' and 8' doors on the 30' side and very secure. Between fine hotels in Neenah and Appleton WI and about 1hr to the track. You would need transportation, possible shuttle from hotel. Any fellow owner is welcome.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, I talked to the track today. Their PR organizer will contact me in a few days about what, if anything, they will do for us as a group (special paddock parking, parade laps as a group, etc). I have checked all the resorts around the Elkhart Lake area. None have any covered/garage parking except The American Club. This is a five star place with underground parking. It's 15 miles from the track. I will pursue more information about this place. Apparently places fill up quickly, so we need to get on this. Will post more when I know it. Frank

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I hope you have some luck with the Amrican Club. Just checked online rates for 17 - 19 July, $380/night std king and $500/night delux king.

On the plus side, they do show rooms available.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I still have not heard from the track. I talked to the American Club this morning. Rooms (the cheapest) are $410/night with two beds. Only 4 rooms left for that weekend; however, their sister inn, Inn on Woodlake, has rooms for $278/night, AND we can use the American Club parking! They apparently are in close proximity and also have a shuttle between the two. I will explore more tomorrow.

I have talked to my last contact about the whole setup, a racer who is up there quite a bit. His suggestion, call the Chamber of Commerce and have them help us find parking nearer the track and at hotels that are cheaper. I will pursue this also tomorrow morning.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, good news. RoadAmerica called me today and they will do something special for us. They don't know what, yet. Apparently Ford is directly involved. I'm sure we'll get special parking in the paddock and some special touring time on the track. Will keep everyone informed. Frank

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Good work Frank! Since I live resonably close, my plan is to drive up very early Sat morning and head back to Chicago late night. I'm in for the track thing Sat and dinner on you Sat nite. :banana

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha,ha DriveBy, you don't get that whipple fixed, you won't be doing bumkiss. I am also considering just driving up and back Saturday, but if I can work a deal on lodging and parking, you'll want to pick up some honey(s) and stay the night. My big worry is driving Wisconsin at night and the deer.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My big worry is driving Wisconsin at night and the deer.

Especially with only one headlight!

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Let me run it by the girlfriend, I'm sure she'll be up for that! :slap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Update on RoadAmerica

OK, Chamber of Commerce Tourism Office called today. The town of Elkhart Lake has no covered or garage parking to offer us. No car dealerships, barns, etc. None of the hotels/motels have anything to offer except the American Club at $410/night and is 15 miles away. The Inn on WoodLake is their neighbor and you can still park there and ride shuttle . $278/night.

I am going to pursue the two places in town, Osthoff Resort and Siebkens (sponsor of the Concours). You can look these up on the web, or here's phone numbers.

Osthoff Resort 800-876-3399, 920-876-3366

Siebkens 920-876-2600

I need info if there is still interest in this from anyone. Please post here or send me a PM. Thanks Frank

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Especially with only one headlight!

Just tape a high powered led flashlight to the rearview mirror. :biggrin

Saw one at Griot's the other day that is way brighter than most driving lights. $120 each with 30,000 candlepower.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Hello Frank,

I still plan on coming up from Denver. I'm leaning toward the Inn on Woodlake.

May have a Viper buddy coming too.

Joe

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Joe, can you PM me a cell phone # or e-mail address? Thanks FJP

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Hey, I wanted to pass along that I stayed at the Inn on Woodlake. It's a nice place, clean high end golfers hotel. There are several nice eats near by, liquor store, and some other stuff close.
If I remember right parking lot is good size.

We stayed there when golfing at Whistling Straits which is couple miles away. The inn and the whole town was built to billionare standards by Herb Kohler.

Nice bar downstairs at the American Club. :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Ford GT in Race group 11

I've been competing in the Kohler International Challenge for the last 5 years or so. I noticed in my entry materials this year that as the GT40 is the featured car, there is a special race group (Group 11) for the GT40 and Ford GT. These will all be on track racing together but competing seperately in the following classes. Consequently, competitors with SVRA or HSR Competition licenses will be able to enter modern Ford GT's. I may just have to make room for mine in the transporter!

Group 11
GT40 and Ford GT
Class 11A all on slicks
Class 11B big block (treaded tires)
Class 11C small block (treaded tires)
Class 11D continuation cars i.e, Holman Mk II, Safir, Kar Kraft etc (treaded)
Class 11E modern era Ford GT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I will be back in the USA at the end of the week and get back on this. I was told only parade laps as a group by the track people. FJP

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I just spoke with Jack Woehrle, Technical Director of SVRA, the sanctioning body for the KIC.

1) Yes, modern Ford GT's are eligible to compete in both group 10 and Group 11 at The KIC. Group 10 would be the normal group for the car, Post Historic Production. This is for Ferrari Challenge, Corvette Challenge etc...
Group 11 is a special group for GT40's and Ford GT's as the featured car this year.

2) The rub is the Ford GT would have to meet the usual competition requirements, safety harness, external kill switch, roll cage and fuel cell. For some modern cars (Porsche & BMW's) they waive the fuel cell requirements depending on the construction of the fuel tank. I sent Jack SAE Technical paper 2004-01-1255 "Design and analysis of the Ford GT Space Frame". He will review it and determine if the existing space frame structure and internally mounted fuel tank are sufficient to meet the competition requirements.

I'll keep you posted.