GT 40 Event Marque Road America

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
July 16-19 2009 Kohler International Challenge

I have been to the Mustang marque event and had car access to the paddock and other Ford sponsored show cars as well as about 5 or 6 GT's. Few of us own an original GT 40 but will this event have any attendance intrest from some of the more northern GT owners?

www.roadamerica.com/race_kic.htm

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Do we get to lap the track? I would be interested if that's the case.

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
They did with the Mustangs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Keep us in the loop. I'm not much of a car show dude, but if I can get on Road America, I would drive out.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mr. Bannister,
I am in if your putting together a little event... pls advise.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm in and have a brochure from RoadAmerica. Few places to stay.

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
I know little more about this event other than the information on the website. Although I am familar with several of the corporate sponsors, so I will try to find out more.

Actually for part of a school fundraiser, we are raffling off a Saturday "Day at the races" including paddock passes, lunch, dinner, and taxi service to and from the race along with stops around the different track viewing areas in my GT.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Here's what I picked up at the Chicago Auto Show.

Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman.
The signature event draws over 1,000 entries for racing, touring and the Road and Track Concourse d'Elegance. GT40 event marque festivities feature race, special guests and activities. Historic Gran Prix adds zip to the international flavor.

Tickets
Superticket $80
Thursday $10
Friday $20
Saturday $40
Sunday $40

Tent camping (new) and motorhome sites available. Golf carts Fri-Sun $315
Touring per car/day $75
Preferred parking weekend $25

These are advance prices. At the gate they are more expensive.

Deadline for advance sales is 7/8/09

Phone 800-365-7223

Note: The track is a little North and West of Milwaukee. Not many hotels around the track, but don't know for sure.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Road trip.

I'm interested as well. Could be my first opportunity to use my Trailex!!! :cheers

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think safe parking will be a problem. I'm in Vegas all next week, but will start asking questions of guys that go there all the time. I haven't been there in quite a few years.

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
I live about 45 min to an hour or so from the track, if any owners need secure trailer or car parking, a shop and tools, or anything else, let me know.

Also, I have a very well stocked bar for any Thursday, Friday, or Sunday meeting.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Lost many a brain cells at Road America in the past. Use to camp across the street. What a mosh pit it was. Heard the did a great job of cleaning it up and revitalizing the ares. Long track....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
jrz, what are hotel accomodations like around the track?

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
go to roadamerica.com to get info on events and accomodations. chamber of commerce in elkart lake/plymouth wisc. have loads of accomodation options but since the historic races are such a big event advance booking is necessary and i mean soon. ostoff resort in elkart is huge complex with condos for rent and especially good for those who wish to share rooms with kitchen. i ran my ford gt in the shelby club event at elkart road america for the last two years and raced many historic races there. i ran a porsche then and did run up against ford gt's in the last ford gt 40 reunion. its a great long straightaway track for ford gt 40's and ford gt's with speeds approaching 170 mph. unfortuneately we wrecked a ford gt there last year at the shelby event going perhaps 80mph into the tire wall at corner 12 but the driver at about 60 years old walked away as testimony to the structural integrity of the car.

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Keep us in the loop. I'm not much of a car show dude, but if I can get on Road America, I would drive out.

DBK,

It's not so much a car show as it is a vintage race event. Altho the do have a concourse on Fri and Sat off site in town. You should be able to get on the track at the very minimum in Touring around lunch time on Sat and Sun. Only problem w/touring is and 80mph speed limit, loosely enforced and it gets crowded.

At 4.2 miles, it is one of the longest tracks in America and is layed out in beautiful countryside. Watching the GT-40's rolling out of turn 5 and going up the hill is a real hoot.

Enjoy:thumbsup

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Just put this on my calendar for the summer. Sounds like a good time!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
DBK,

At 4.2 miles, it is one of the longest tracks in America and is layed out in beautiful countryside. Watching the GT-40's rolling out of turn 5 and going up the hill is a real hoot.

That is one of the better sitting spots.... I also use to sit on turn 12.......

So it sounds like an open lunch parade lap is the only option? Fun but crowded and you can get behind an idiot backing up everybody to "take a corner"... happened to me last year at VIR following a Porsche 914 five cars up in front of us :bored

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
. i ran my ford gt in the shelby club event at elkart road america for the last two years and raced many historic races there. i ran a porsche then and did run up against ford gt's in the last ford gt 40 reunion. its a great long straightaway track for ford gt 40's and ford gt's with speeds approaching 170 mph. unfortuneately we wrecked a ford gt there last year at the shelby event going perhaps 80mph into the tire wall at corner 12 but the driver at about 60 years old walked away as testimony to the structural integrity of the car.[/QUOTE]

Did you race the original black GT 40 in last years Saturday event? If so, excellent show against that Porsche! That even kept my 16yr old daughters attention for the lenght of the race. Rumor has it that, that particular GT had a ball joint repaired, between events at 0 to 60 in Sherwood WI, the unofficial site for our early Saturday "Cars and Coffee"

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
midnight blue

sorry jrz, mine is midnight blue and i only ran friday/sat. i did run the car in group 1, which was the race car class to insure not being slowed up by traffic. the ford ran 2:32 or about 6th fastest overall at the event but i was the only car in that group with stock oem tires. most of the cars were roll cage race cars and all had slicks except the Noble. for a comparison, when i ran a 1974 rsr porsche in historic racing in the early 1990's it ran 2:26 but i am much more reserved with the ford especially in the kink where i lose some speed. the porsche coomparison is not fair as it weighed only 2000 pounds and was a full race car but the ford GT is the most exciting and best handling stock production car i have ever driven on a long straightaway track.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Roadamerica in July 2009

I suggest anyone interested go to the Roadamerica.com website. I've downloaded the info and will print it out tomorrow and read it over the weekend. We could rent a tent I think. More to follow after I read all this. Frank