GT 1/4 mile today!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So, the guys who drive Joe's 1000+hp, nitto drag radial car and only run a 9.48, must not be very good drivers?

Different problems, traction and control of the beast with a torque curve to the moon! GTs aren't drag cars, without major suspension and other mods there is a limit to how much power you can put to the ground in the 1/4.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Took my GT out to the track today to see if I could put the car in the 10's on the stock factory tires, car has a Heffner tune and pulley and thats it! The weather was cold, low 40's and traction was decent but had issues with second gear shift traction on a couple of runs, one that was possible my best and I had to lift killing the run. Overall very pleased with the performance with all the runs in the mid 10's to 11.0 range with my best of 10.6 at 135.27.
Pretty good on the stock tires I think!:wink

Jamie,
Great run, I can't wait till April till the track opens I have been waiting to run this car since the day I got it ..........
ps, what was you ET/MPH in the 1/8 and what exactly was your 1/4 et
(10.60 or 10.69)

Thanks I will update the forum after I hit the drag strip.......

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
So, the guys who drive Joe's 1000+hp, nitto drag radial car and only run a 9.48, must not be very good drivers?

I, being one that OWNS a TT ford GT, can tell you that they are NOT quarter mile cars. Compairing a TT to this pulley'd supercharged car does not really mean anything. The TT cars are VERY hard to get off the line anywhere near as fast as the supercharged cars. I believe his times are right on track! Great runs!!!! :thumbsup

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Joe's TT with 1000hp and nitto drag radials ran a 10.48

Must not know how to drive it that well is all I can think of? There are a lot of guys with a lot of dyno hp that can't run stock car times. I don't know if Joe drives his own car or someone else does but I saw that car do a 360 at the dragstrip on utube. I think one would have to agree that usually doesn't equate to good times!:wink

I see a pattern all the time with high performance cars and its usually a guy gets his car, hardly drives it and puts turbo's or nitrous or SC on it and goes to the track for the FIRST TIME and the car doesn't turn these out of this world numbers. They automatically think something is wrong but in reality they never mastered the driving of the stock car and the big HP car is even harder to drive so they can't put up a number. The people who have that car don't want to believe they can't drive but in reality they can't! They need practice they never had and only time will give them, and when they see a better time than they have run with the same mods they don't want to believe it because they haven't learned the FIRST and BEST MOD should be the one in the drivers seat! Just my opinion but I think there are a few guys on this board that would agree with that.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
high hp GT

Jamie - How would you recommend a high hp GT driver to try the 1/4 mile? Obviously to keep wheel spin to a minimum is a must. No full throttle until 3rd? Thanks.

Ed

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I don't think Jamie's times are out of line. The guy is one of the best drivers on the planet in factory production cars. His record speaks for itself. How many guys have ran 10.9X in a factory Z06? I think 1, maybe 2 tops.

The mph and the ET are about right. At a sticky track with a good DA and a great driver, 10.6 out of a 135 mph car on factory tires is very reasonable. Especially given that he ran a 1.7 60 ft. Outlaw also ran 10.9@136 with the same setup. The other thing is that the GT gets a major, major, power boost in the cold. On a cold day the car feels every bit of being a 133-135mph car. On a hot day you'd be lucky to see 131.

DBK I agree about the weather making a major difference as I was on the phone to Jason in late August telling him I thought something was wrong with the car when I was running 11.1 at 130. It just wasn't making the power and I couldn't get a good leave because I was coming out harder to make up for the lack of power and my 60 was weak. Jason told me then it was the weather and now I believe the majority of it was the weather and I think I am driving it a little better now as well. I don't like to make many passes when its hot out, especially when I am not putting up the number, today the track wasn't busy and I was able to make about 10 passes and get my technique down. My worst mph today was 133.4 and my best 135.3 and to be honest I thought I would be running more mph because the chip and pulley are supposed to be 100hp or so and that ought to be 10 mph I thought? The car was running 127 mph stock. I also weighed the car today so I could calculate the hp with the pulley and tune and it weighed 3680 with me in it. Like I said it is what it is and anyone can believe what they want, but I thought I would post so anyone with the same mods would get an idea of what the car is capable of.

Last edited:

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia

I don't know if they are or not? They might be excellent drivers, I don't know? But you said 10.48 not 9.48 and I don't think 10.48 is a very good time for a 1000+hp 3500pound car do you?

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Here are the timeslips for the skeptic! My number is 2192 on the slips and I put my race card on top of the timeslips so you can see its my number. If you look at the slip with the 1.75 60' look at the 1/8 mile mph compared to the other slips and you will see what I meant about loosing traction in second.

gttimeslips004.jpg

gttimeslips003.jpg

gttimeslips002.jpg

Last edited:

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Must not know how to drive it that well is all I can think of? There are a lot of guys with a lot of dyno hp that can't run stock car times. I don't know if Joe drives his own car or someone else does but I saw that car do a 360 at the dragstrip on utube. I think one would have to agree that usually doesn't equate to good times!:wink

I see a pattern all the time with high performance cars and its usually a guy gets his car, hardly drives it and puts turbo's or nitrous or SC on it and goes to the track for the FIRST TIME and the car doesn't turn these out of this world numbers. They automatically think something is wrong but in reality they never mastered the driving of the stock car and the big HP car is even harder to drive so they can't put up a number. The people who have that car don't want to believe they can't drive but in reality they can't! They need practice they never had and only time will give them, and when they see a better time than they have run with the same mods they don't want to believe it because they haven't learned the FIRST and BEST MOD should be the one in the drivers seat! Just my opinion but I think there are a few guys on this board that would agree with that.

I agree with you 100 percent. I have seen too many brand new Z06 cars and owners not make it 1/4th of the way down the drag strip here at Beech Bend (Bowling Green, KY) and lose control and t-bone the wall. Not enough practice and too much money.

Your numbers are very impressive. The best ET I have had was in a 382 stroker C4 (454 RWHP), 11.3 @ 128. I have an SPF Cobra with a 427W, and on street tires, it has run an 11.9 and I was granny shifting. As you know, the Cobra's are short wheel based, lots of HP (570), and very light (2400). A handful. Admittedly, I can't drive it. By the way, what was your best run in the Z06 and was it a C5 or C6? Also, I see you have a Cobra in the garage. Have you taken it for a few passes?

Thanks for the post - excellent reading, my favorite kind. As DBK said, sure wish you had some video.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Jamie, seems for every tenth you saved in the 60 foot you saved two tenths at the end of the track. It's all about the launch - and it's not always about the traction. Would you agree?

Last edited:

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I agree with you 100 percent. I have seen too many brand new Z06 cars and owners not make it 1/4th of the way down the drag strip here at Beech Bend (Bowling Green, KY) and lose control and t-bone the wall. Not enough practice and too much money.

Your numbers are very impressive. The best ET I have had was in a 382 stroker C4 (454 RWHP), 11.3 @ 128. I have an SPF Cobra with a 427W, and on street tires, it has run an 11.9 and I was granny shifting. As you know, the Cobra's are short wheel based, lots of HP (570), and very light (2400). A handful. Admittedly, I can't drive it. By the way, what was your best run in the Z06 and was it a C5 or C6? Also, I see you have a Cobra in the garage. Have you taken it for a few passes?

Thanks for the post - excellent reading, my favorite kind. As DBK said, sure wish you had some video.

Thanks Roger! Roger if you go on the Corvette C6 Forum and look up the fast list it will show all the times of the fastest Z06's. I believe this is the link:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1794944

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Jamie, seems for every tenth you saved in the 60 foot you saved two tenths at the end of the track. It's all about the launch - and it's not always about the traction. Would you agree?

Yes and no, I do agree most of the run is in the launch but if you get a good leave and then break traction down the track your time will suffer.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Joe's TT with 1000hp and nitto drag radials ran a 10.48

and your point is?

More hp doesnt necessarily translate to a faster ET, especially on a street car. Ever tried to drive something with 1000hp?

Last edited:

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
and your point is?

More hp doesnt necessarily translate to a faster ET, especially on a street car. Ever tried to drive something with 1000hp?

I guess my point is...... If you are a good driver you will probably like more hp and if you are just a fair driver you might not benefit from the extra ponies.
I don't think I have driven a 1000 hp car but I have driven many of Jason Heffner's Twin Turbo Vipers and his Supercharged cars including my own Cobra R street car that he supercharged, the Cobra R on street tires ran 9.4 at 145mph with DR and a 306 SC smallblock.

My Kawaski ZX14 has over 200hp from the factory and weighs 485pds, compared to a GT I think that would equal to about 1400 hp in a GT. So technically I guess you could say I have a daily driver with more HP than a 1000 hp GT.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
this is a great thread, does provoke some thought, doesn't it?
know someone that has great collector guns but can never hit a target....

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
Took my GT out to the track today to see if I could put the car in the 10's on the stock factory tires, car has a Heffner tune and pulley and thats it! The weather was cold, low 40's and traction was decent but had issues with second gear shift traction on a couple of runs, one that was possible my best and I had to lift killing the run. Overall very pleased with the performance with all the runs in the mid 10's to 11.0 range with my best of 10.6 at 135.27.
Pretty good on the stock tires I think!:wink

Congratulations on another string of impressive runs. Not bad at all for an old man.:wink

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Congratulations on another string of impressive runs. Not bad at all for an old man.:wink

Thanks! But you don't mean old, you mean experienced!:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Consider it stolen.

.....you don't mean old, you mean experienced!:biggrin

I like that line.

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
so do I...
Bony
the aprentice

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I also like that line, I'm trying to train Sue on that line Chip. Although EXPERIENCE really means (number of arrows sticking out your back at any one time) Tomy