GT 1/4 mile today!

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Took my GT out to the track today to see if I could put the car in the 10's on the stock factory tires, car has a Heffner tune and pulley and thats it! The weather was cold, low 40's and traction was decent but had issues with second gear shift traction on a couple of runs, one that was possible my best and I had to lift killing the run. Overall very pleased with the performance with all the runs in the mid 10's to 11.0 range with my best of 10.6 at 135.27.
Pretty good on the stock tires I think!:wink

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wow.

That's impressive. I'll have to live vicariously through you as I cannot bring myself to tach up my GT and dump the clutch. :ack How did you launch the car off the line? Did you speed shift it? Again, most impressive.

Chip

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great Day! More info please.

Chip - try it you'll like it.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
That's impressive. I'll have to live vicariously through you as I cannot bring myself to tach up my GT and dump the clutch. :ack How did you launch the car off the line? Did you speed shift it? Again, most impressive.

Chip

Well I don't dump the clutch or speed shift! as a matter of fact if you shift a little to fast the car will like pause for a split second when it goes into the next gear so I just try to be smooth and shift quick but make sure to lift. My launch techinique is about 2500 to 3000 rpms and quick and smooth release like a quick ride out, real quick!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Well I don't dump the clutch or speed shift!

Hey, I can do that! I also have a Heffner Pulley and tune so if I'm ever out at a drag strip at such time when I could make a run, I'm going to give it a go. The fastest I've ever gone at a drag strip was a run in the 14's in my Trans Am shortly after I graduated from college. A run in the tens should be quite a thrill. These days, everything about me is getting slower except for my cars. :bored

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Holy christ Jamie. That is unbelievable. Amazing result. :cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Awesome ! What 60's were you pulling with the Goodyears ?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
And where's the video? I know someone was taping that!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
10.6 with stock tires and only a pulley, without driving the car hard, seems too quick.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Hey, I can do that!

Chip[/QUOTE]

"These days, everything about me is getting slower except for my cars."

Chip now that you are a year older .......................you just got go faster!

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Awesome ! What 60's were you pulling with the Goodyears ?

On the 10.6 run I had a 1.77 short time, but I had a 1.75 short time right before that on my previous run and when I pulled 2nd it just lit up the tires and I had to lift and get back into it, still ran a 11.0 but I think if it hadn't broke traction I would of run a 10.5. I don't know if anyone had a video at the track but I didn't, me and my son and my daughters boyfriend went out to the track for the first time so they were concentrating on learning how to drive their cars. I just wanted to beat my stock tire Z06's time and I did that pretty handily so I am happy, I was tired of it being my fastest 1/4 miler when I knew the GT was quite a bit faster but its easier to put the power down in the Z06.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Thats very impressive on the stock tires Jamie, but most of us already know of your skills. 135mph wow

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
10.6 with stock tires and only a pulley, without driving the car hard, seems too quick.

Who said I wasn't driving the car hard? I was driving the best I can but I wasn't abusing it. I am a pretty good driver and I really feel it will go quicker with some practice, I am just not that into Drag Racing a GT. I like to take it out about once or twice a year and make some passes. I have other cars that I prefer to take Drag Racing.

Last edited:

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Really nice driving Jamie!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Joe's TT with 1000hp and nitto drag radials ran a 10.48

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't think Jamie's times are out of line. The guy is one of the best drivers on the planet in factory production cars. His record speaks for itself. How many guys have ran 10.9X in a factory Z06? I think 1, maybe 2 tops.

The mph and the ET are about right. At a sticky track with a good DA and a great driver, 10.6 out of a 135 mph car on factory tires is very reasonable. Especially given that he ran a 1.7 60 ft. Outlaw also ran 10.9@136 with the same setup. The other thing is that the GT gets a major, major, power boost in the cold. On a cold day the car feels every bit of being a 133-135mph car. On a hot day you'd be lucky to see 131.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Couldn't do anything like that here in Detroit. The snow has not yet melted off of the dragstrips..nice to read about the good stuff.
AJB

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
John Mihovetz ran a 10.99 with same tire and more hp(smaller pulley).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
John Mihovetz ran a 10.99 with same tire and more hp(smaller pulley).

But I am sure on a hotter day. Jamie's run was in the 40s F. John is an excellent driver that tells you that Jamie is also!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
So, the guys who drive Joe's 1000+hp, nitto drag radial car and only run a 9.48, must not be very good drivers?