FUEL FILLER CHANGED wo/REMOVING FENDER

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
small wrench will fit as there is a 1- 1.5" gap between the top of the fender where the plastic piece mounts to the screw mounting tho the filler tube itself.

if you look at the second picture it shows wo screws.... took !~ 2 minutes to get both out

Still can't figure out exactly where the two screws are located and how to access them. I have my fender liners removed and also the fuel filler neck has been removed. Just can't figure out how to detach the plastic piece?

Any chance you could take another picture and point out exactly where these screws are located.

Thanks for your assistance! :thumbsup

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Thanks for this great thread, I need to do this job next week and will be sure to follow
the instructions very closely. I'll also be ordering an extra one just in case....

I do not have the problem as yet. But Murphy's law,,,,,,,,,,,
What is the part # (s) do I need to order?:ack

Thanks.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can get the filler neck if needed. Direct link to order :

http://www.trademotion.com/shopping...e=10&partname=PIP ASY FU/TNK FILL&catalogid=3

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
spddmnjay - If the filler neck is out, then the two screws are already out! That is, if you are removing the filler neck WITHOUT removing the fender.

The two screws must come out prior to removing the filler neck. They can be accessed from inside the fender with a small combo wrench. I think 3/16".

The plastic piece (where the small fuel filler gate mechanisim is housed) has a wedge fit lip around the outter rear circumference that fits the edge of the metal filler extrusion. The best way to remove it is to take out the two screws, create a gap between the plastic piece and fuel filler by gently rocking the fuel filler (at the lower base) away from you. Then rotate the fuel filler clockwise just enough to disengage the rear lip...and its out. I found it easier if all hose connections and the body retainer bolt are disconnected. Here is a pic...

Tom

Attachments

• fillerlip.JPG
    fillerlip.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
spddmnjay - If the filler neck is out, then the two screws are already out! That is, if you are removing the filler neck WITHOUT removing the fender.

The two screws must come out prior to removing the filler neck. They can be accessed from inside the fender with a small combo wrench. I think 3/16".

The plastic piece (where the small fuel filler gate mechanisim is housed) has a wedge fit lip around the outter rear circumference that fits the edge of the metal filler extrusion. The best way to remove it is to take out the two screws, create a gap between the plastic piece and fuel filler by gently rocking the fuel filler (at the lower base) away from you. Then rotate the fuel filler clockwise just enough to disengage the rear lip...and its out. I found it easier if all hose connections and the body retainer bolt are disconnected. Here is a pic...

Tom

Hey Tom!

Thanks for the fantastic write-up. :thumbsup I have removed the fuel filler and those two screws. But now I want to remove the plastic mounting flange (with fuel filler swing gate). Any ideas?

Cheers
Jason

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Jason, Not sure what you need, the previous post describes how to remove the housing:

The plastic piece (where the small fuel filler gate mechanisim is housed) has a wedge fit lip around the outter rear circumference that fits the edge of the metal filler extrusion. The best way to remove it is to take out the two screws, create a gap between the plastic piece and fuel filler by gently rocking the fuel filler (at the lower base) away from you. Then rotate the fuel filler clockwise just enough to disengage the rear lip...and its out. I found it easier if all hose connections and the body retainer bolt are disconnected.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Jason, Not sure what you need, the previous post describes how to remove the housing:

The plastic piece (where the small fuel filler gate mechanisim is housed) has a wedge fit lip around the outter rear circumference that fits the edge of the metal filler extrusion. The best way to remove it is to take out the two screws, create a gap between the plastic piece and fuel filler by gently rocking the fuel filler (at the lower base) away from you. Then rotate the fuel filler clockwise just enough to disengage the rear lip...and its out. I found it easier if all hose connections and the body retainer bolt are disconnected.

Hmmm...I will send you a PM to discuss.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I have replaced the part and hope I NEVER have to do it again!!

I wonder if using a plastic funnel would be easier
on the valve than the hard metal of the nozzle when filling up?

The valve needs to be treated VERY gently..

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wonder if using a plastic funnel would be easier
on the valve than the hard metal of the nozzle when filling up?

That very thing is standard practice for some here on The 'Forum for exactly the reason you postulate. 'Wouldn't hurt a darn bit to use some fine grit sandpaper and round off/smooth the edges of the funnel's tip to boot. :wink :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
For whats its worth, Shell has started to use a new lower profile nozzle that fits the GT gas inlet perfectly.

Its a shorter nozzel, smaller handle, with very small rubber flap that you can flip back to easily hold the spring mechanism back with one finger, and place the nozzle in perfectly

They used to have these longer nozzles, huge rubber accordian grommets on them, with an oversize handle, that made you bang inner funnel, then neck, no matter how smooth you were. Check it out.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I do not care for SHELL. They charge to use a credit card and they screwed up a lot of peoples gas guage senders with bad additive in a batch of fuel, then gave everyone a hard time about fixing their mistake.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Are the tops of those screws phillips head, or some sort of allan or torx? I'm going to be doing this pretty soon.... just getting myself mentally psyched up here.... want to make sure i have all the tools necessary, so i don't have to cry (too much, this time, anyways...) to teamjeff too much.

And a question regarding your fix.. you took your new filler neck, and removed the new flapper to put into your old filler neck as a replacement? or you replaced the entire thing?

thanks. gerry

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
peiserg.......if you dont know what your doing on this one......DONT DO IT......look up our posts from fuel filler pipe replacement in nov 2005!!!! Some claim they can do it without the fender removed ....but THE WHOLE PIPE HAS TO GO....theres 3 flaps in the tube.....the original replacement included removing,wheel, inner fender ,fender, headlight assembly canisters/horns/blah, blah blah.....i forgot half of it but look up the old posts....or just call the gtgguys or local and get it done....you cant get to the 3rd screw....good luck gtjoey1314
Looked up the date it was 7-14 2006 title fuelpipe/small evap leak....interesting all these years later....

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It you leave the top sliding hinge attached to the fender in place you can replace the lower section with the flapper valve without pulling the fender. You just have to remove the fender liner. If the sliding hinge is damaged you will have to pull the fender. Do a search, somewhere is a thread discussing how it is done. If you have the new part in hand you can see how the top section is attached to the lower section.

Shadowman walked me through the procedure over the phone and it wasn't that bad at all, but takes some time, knowledge and blue tape. If you are near the GTguy that would be a great option, if not and you are mechanically inclined, it can be done without too much pain.

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

Last edited:

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

Last edited:

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
OK guys, just finished replacing my fuel filler (purchased on the cheap from Torrie).

If I can do it... most likely anyone with a couple of wrenches, and a few hours, and minor mechanical ability can do it.

Some words of wisdom to future people who may embark on this...

That liner is a biotch to remove. I don't have the tool to remove all those plastic push pins. I just drilled out the center rather than spend an hour tryiing to pop them out (which i did when i replaced my passenger front blinker light). Purchased replacements exact fit from Ace for $0.50 a piece.

Team Jeff suggested heating it up to make it more pliable. I used 3000 watts of twin turbo nitrous injected portable heater fury for 20 minutes while i surfed the internet... and then spent under 15 minutes removing the fender. I found it best to straddle the disc rotor, with the car jacked up fairly high. Then i reached under the bottom of the liner, and scooped it down towards the ground. Some additional wrangling required, but that was the first critical movement. So... start to finish (removal of retainer clips and liner wrangling) was about 20 mins total.

For the record, this did NOT involve scratching or bending my fender! though i could see how it might!

I jumped straight in with my electric screwdriver to remove the front diffuser bolts and pan torx screws. Last time i used my ratched... no thanks!

I could NOT get a 7/32" driver small enough to fit over the 2 retaining screws holding the filler nozzle to the fuel door. I used a small plier to turn the exposed screws from BELOW, then easily turned them by hand for removal. when replacing them, I elected to use a phillips head screw to i would have a tool that would work for tightening. same pitch/length with built in washer.

There is (as pictured prior...) an approx 1" bolt that is welded to the tubing with a tab. when removing the whole filler apparatus, that started to become a major nuisance trying to pop it out of the hole in which it resides. Rather than fight, i got my dremel and dremelled it off in about 8 seconds. Don't forget if you go this route, cover your source of fuel vapors!

I found it MUCH easier to refit the large rubber fitting back onto the fuel tank itself if I unclipped the plasting lines directly above them rather than trying to hold them with one hand and wrestle the fuel tubing with the other. It was still quite a struggle, so I broke out the HEATMASTER 6000, which delivers a blistering 1000 watts of hair drying fury via my wife's hair dryer. I used that to heat up the end of the rubber fitting, at which point it very easily popped over the fuel tank nozzle inlet.

My total time was about 4-5 hours...

Ok. I ALSO decided to cut open my broken fuel filler... and discovered that there were NO broken peices!! The flapper door is held in place by a spring, which is held in place by a plastic tab which slides and locks into place along a tabbed groove inside the wall of the filler. the tab had gotten pushed down the groove until it popped out of place completely. I was able to actually FIX my old filler nozzle! In fact, i think a permanent "fix" would be to open up that filler nozzle, as I did, and use some form of fuel resistance glue to keep that tab in place (if such a glue exists).

Of course, as plastic ages, it becomes brittle... so the plastic may actually break in 10 years, rather than have the tab simply slide off its track.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Congratulations, thanks for the info.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Im still confused (very) on what preventative measures I can take so that this does NOT happen. Or at least try.

When I fill up, I typically push the "slider" to the side with my finger then gently insert the nozzle. Should I be doing something else all together? HELP!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, to be absolutely safe, you could adopt Pocket's strategy.....