FUEL FILLER CHANGED wo/REMOVING FENDER

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So Ice, can you interpret this for us? Looks to me like we're still not covered. I do live in an area where testing occurs (only Chicago and St. Louis areas in IL). Thanks Frank

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So Ice, can you interpret this for us? Looks to me like we're still not covered. I do live in an area where testing occurs (only Chicago and St. Louis areas in IL). Thanks Frank

I am not a lawyer and therefore cannot give any legal advice. It really doesn't matter how one interprets the EPA regulations. If the dealer and or manufacturer denies coverage for an item you think should be coverage under EPA regs, your only recourse may be in a court of law. For a filler neck that would be a waste of everyone's time and money. The best course of action is to work with your dealer and Ford presenting the EPA regulations as supporting evidence, if your claim is denied, replacing it yourself will be less costly in the end than pursuing other options. You could try calling EPA for help, but I think that would raise your blood pressure enough to cost more in cardiologist fees than fixing it out of pocket. Dr. Frank what is your profession opinion?

For those of us in CA

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FEDERAL AND CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS WARRANTIES?
• Federal Emissions Warranty – Under the Federal Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts are covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles*, with the catalytic converter and engine control unit (the computer) covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles*. These Federal Emissions Warranty provisions cover light-duty vehicles up to 8500 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
• California Emissions Warranty – Under the California Emissions Warranty, vehicles certified for sale in California, and those states like Vermont that have adopted California Emissions Standards by law, have additional coverage beyond that required under Federal law. Under the California Emissions Warranty, all emissions related parts are covered for 3 years or 50,000 miles*, and a vehicle-specific list of more expensive emissions related parts is covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles*.In addition, the 8 year or 80,000 mile* coverage for the catalytic converter and engine control unit required by Federal law also applies. Also, some 2003 and later models, certified as California Partial Zero Emission Vehicles

Now what is on the list? Have to find my owners manual.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Since I have a sister that works for the EPA, I'm not scared. A long time ago I had an issue with a rearview mirror that kept breaking. Dealer gave me a lot of guff about not being in warranty. I just mentioned the Fed regulations on required safety equipment and the manager folded like a cheap deck of cards. Replaced for free. Of course, this is much more expensive, but I think you're right. Go in with a copy of this (you can download the PDF from the site you listed) to the dealer and I'd guess within days they would comply. Cardiologist may be too much, really more anti-anxiety treatment.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Read page 17 and 20 of the Warranty Guide. On page 20 the filler cap is not listed.

I believe Dr. Frank is right 3 years or 50,000 miles for the filler cap.

Those of you still under warranty and that have a bad filler cap should get it repaired soon!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Thanks guys but the issue is still very clear to me. Its covered for atleast 8 years or 80,000 miles which ever comes first.

The dealer agrees but FoMoCo doesn't want to honor its obligation and parts are becoming harder to get, if at all, which also is against federal law on availability of parts for approximately 10 years. Yes FoMoCo after calls and demands will pay for part of the repair but not all by calling it the oxymoronic term "good-will warranty."

Also my car will not pass NY or NJ State emission testing with the faulty filler cap/neck. BTW the dealer performs the emission testing as part of the State required inspection procedure.

Do any of the dealers/vendors know the appeal procedure? That is still my question how to appeal.

Thank you,

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dave, I can put in a good word for you with the governor of IL, he seems to be able to get things done.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Dave, I can put in a good word for you with the governor of IL, he seems to be able to get things done.

Thanks, but what's the cost. I expect it will be higher than normal to pay for his legal fees.

Thanks for the good laugh

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, no, you misunderstood. I meant for a Senate seat, then you can do whatever you want with the law.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dave, you should print out the entire PDF file from the link that Ice gave. Start reading on page 6 to the end. FJP

PS I was kidding about the Senate seat. Please don't anyone take this as political comment and get me banned for life.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

the fifth bid on the open senate seat (Obama's) was by Jesse Jackson's kid - where did your bid end up at? 1,000 + :confused

Remember Franky - your training in Politics is equal to your bedside manner of today. Problem is your patients don't complain about your jokes like we do :rofl:rofl

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Say you have a car with over 35k on it and it was purchased in 2004 (over three years old)
Here we are and just as Barondw stated
Where does someone go when Ford corporate states the filler neck is not covered?
We are here now.
You are soon to feel this pain very soon if not already!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Read the whole PDF file. The appeals process is listed. After reading it, my feeling is that since this IS the gascap and part of the evaporative system, it's covered for 8 years/80K if your in a state or location that requires inspections and you don't pass.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Read the whole PDF file. The appeals process is listed. After reading it, my feeling is that since this IS the gascap and part of the evaporative system, it's covered for 8 years/80K if your in a state or location that requires inspections and you don't pass.

And on top of that there is no readily available after market option on -hand, It's a FoMoCo issue!

Had this problem with a Dodge and EVAP error codes. They wanted to charge me $125 for a original OEM gas cap while a Stant costed $12.

Then I proceeded to cite chapter and verse of the Emission laws.... Dealer charges= $0.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I look forward to reading all about the dealer's reaction to the EPA document.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

I don't think its the gas cap. The gas cap is just a cover (IMO) to protect against water and dirt. The issue is the lower flap/baffle/etc. which is positioned below and is definitely part of the emissions system. This is where my dealer has always found the problem to eminate from.

Dave

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

I don't think its the gas cap. The gas cap is just a cover (IMO) to protect against water and dirt. The issue is the lower flap/baffle/etc. which is positioned below and is definitely part of the emissions system. This is where my dealer has always found the problem to eminate from.

Dave

Dave - I think what Frank means is exactly what you are saying. The flip cover is for dust and rain - the real cap is that "check valve" which is spring loaded to hold pressure in the fuel system in order to "recirculate" the unburnt emission gases

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think its the gas cap. The gas cap is just a cover (IMO) to protect against water and dirt. The issue is the lower flap/baffle/etc. which is positioned below and is definitely part of the emissions system.

Dave, I think you are on the key point here. The "gas cap" as it is referred to by the EPA documents is the "device" that seals the filler neck. Sealing the gas filler neck has two fundamental benefits to the EPA. First, a sealed filler neck prevents fumes and gasoline evaporation to the atmosphere. Second, a sealed gas cap allows the car's ECU to execute a NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection) successfully. The NVLD test will fail and a check engine light will be displayed if the fuel tank is not sealed.

In summary, you need to INSIST (and rightfully so) that the "gas cap" on a Ford GT is, in fact, the flap/baffle/etc as you described. This IS the device that prevents fumes from escaping and it IS the device that seals the gas tank allowing for a successful NVLD test. What is confusing your dealer, is that they are incorrectly perceiving that the round, decorative, pop-up flap on the fender is the gas cap. It is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a "gas cap". Call it a dust cover, water cover, decorative cover, etc.... but you can't call this a "gas cap" because it does does not - nor was it intended to have the functionality of what the EPA calls a gas cap.

427 Mitch

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 13, 2006
Stamford, Ct
P0455

On the way to get my car yearly inspection, my check engine light came on. I had the service station hook it up anyway and the failure code was P0455, Evaporative emission leak.

It is now at the Ford dealer who tells me it needs a canister vent solenoid (part# yl5z9f945aa) and a filter assembly (part# 3s4z9f675cc).

Ford tells me that these parts are NOT covered by the EPA Emission warranty.

Now, my question is, should I just bite the bullet and pay or do I have a real argument that it should be covered.

Thanks, Mitch

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Very good AND important point Kendall about our silver "dust/water" cover.

As our car fleet ages this problem may become more frequent such that each of our effected owners needs to clearly understand the problem. Unfortunately some dealers may understand and warranty the work while others will not understand and attempt to charge us owners for repair.

Any ideas on a Corporate resolution for future claims?

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Thanks for this great thread, I need to do this job next week and will be sure to follow
the instructions very closely. I'll also be ordering an extra one just in case....