FORD GT or PORSCHE GT2

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
On the track always my Porsche everywhere else my Ford, no question. Even though I am a Porsche guy through and through I always said the last of my cars I would ever sell was my xke but now it is my Ford. There is just nothing else to compare. NOTHING!

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
DON'T stop at 2! See you in TX with the silver wippled.:cheers

Jim

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
The GT2 is over priced in my opinion while the FGT is under valued. I"m somewhat familiar w/ the latest Porsches and a 997TT is my daily driver but if I can only own one sports car, it will be the FGT. I know the question is to compare a GT2 to a FGT but why a GT2? A $120K 997TT w/ $20K in mods can achieve 700HP with sensational handling to go (Moton shocks). I chose the 997TT Cabriolet because I just can't drive my FGT to work and around town w/o catching undue attention. And not catching attention is where the PCars excel and there're times we just don't want to be noticed but still want to enjoy the driving experience.

H

HHGT

The GT2 is over priced in my opinion while the FGT is under valued. I"m somewhat familiar w/ the latest Porsches and a 997TT is my daily driver but if I can only own one sports car, it will be the FGT. I know the question is to compare a GT2 to a FGT but why a GT2? A $120K 997TT w/ $20K in mods can achieve 700HP with sensational handling to go (Moton shocks). I chose the 997TT Cabriolet because I just can't drive my FGT to work and around town w/o catching undue attention. And not catching attention is where the PCars excel and there're times we just don't want to be noticed but still want to enjoy the driving experience.

I can't keep up with you Bruce. When did you get the 997?

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
The GT2 is over priced in my opinion while the FGT is under valued.

AGREED!! :cheers

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for all of your feedback. I definitely agree that the 'looks' and 'awe factor' goes to the GT. I do like the practicality of the GT2 and the nice storage behind the 2 front seats and decent storage up front. The prices on GT2s have come down quite a bit. 2002 GT2s in great condition with sub 15k miles are still bringing in the $80s which isn't bad depreciation for a 7 year old car that sold for $195k. With the current economy, there are some outstanding deals on GT2s currently which could put me in decent position for a couple years. Having owned a 996TT X50, I am staying away from the regular turbos as they seem to depreciate faster than almost any other sports car I have seen. Been there, felt that...no thanks.

I also like the fact that I can add in a stock 997 rear seat for about $100 and then I can take my kid for a ride too. That's something I can't do in the GT and one of the main reasons why I am considering the GT2....There are also lots of mods available for both cars which is why I am only considering these 2at this point.

Decisions, decisions.

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for all of your feedback. I definitely agree that the 'looks' and 'awe factor' goes to the GT. I do like the practicality of the GT2 and the nice storage behind the 2 front seats and decent storage up front. The prices on GT2s have come down quite a bit. 2002 GT2s in great condition with sub 15k miles are still bringing in the $80s which isn't bad depreciation for a 7 year old car that sold for $195k. With the current economy, there are some outstanding deals on GT2s currently which could put me in decent position for a couple years. Having owned a 996TT X50, I am staying away from the regular turbos as they seem to depreciate faster than almost any other sports car I have seen. Been there, felt that...no thanks.

I also like the fact that I can add in a stock 997 rear seat for about $100 and then I can take my kid for a ride too. That's something I can't do in the GT and one of the main reasons why I am considering the GT2....There are also lots of mods available for both cars which is why I am only considering these 2at this point.

Decisions, decisions.

Decision made...

If you can pick up a Porsche 996 GT2 with under 15K miles in the sub $80K range lets same forsaking an argument $75K then purchase one and run the heck out her for a year and then decide whether she is a keeper; what do you have to lose; IMO nothing because in a year the likelihood is that she will still be worth a figure close to that which you paid.

They are fun, fast, extremely low service demands

At a figure less than $80K they are a wonderful bang for the buck; my only suggestion is for you to purchase one that is as OEM and leave her that way throughout the evaluation process because every nickel spent in excess of the cost of admission IMO is forever lost and may in fact diminish her resale value.

All the best with your quest

Shadowman

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
any other sports car I have seen. Been there, felt that...no thanks.

I also like the fact that I can add in a stock 997 rear seat for about $100 and then I can take my kid for a ride too. That's something I can't do in the GT and one of the main reasons why I am considering the GT2....

Decisions, decisions.

Actually it is not that simple.

1. The GT2 was homologated as a 2 seater in Europe AND in the USA so it would be illegal for you to carry anyone in the back seats.

2. The GT2 is build with a roll-cage in mind in the back (it comes like that in Euope). There are no visible bolting points for the rear seats. You need to rip the carpet off and find them. It is not guaranteed that you find them... Ask any GT3 RS owner...

3. Even if you fabricate the mounting points for the seats you are definetely missing the ones for the seatbelt, both at the top and on the receptacle side on the centre tunnel. You would need to machine the bolt patterns in the chassis.

4. Even if you have come this far and have decided to do all the above the last surprise is that Porsche did not reinforce the chassis where the seat belts are mounted in the back as they would for any other 911. This is to save weight.

So you are better off taking your kid in the Ford GT. The Ford has a Latch system under the passenger seat and has an airbag switch off key.

This is what I do,

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for your thoughts....
Sounds like there may be a difference btw GT2s in Europe vs USA. The USA GT2s don't have roll cages. All of the stock mounting points for seat belts exist, they just remove the belts and seats cushions. So in order to add back the rear seat all you need to do is bolt up the stock belt system and put the rear seat in. It's about an hour job and makes it identical to how it is in the 997TT as it comes from the factory. The 996 GT2 seems a little 'old' to me and the 997GT2 is a much better built beast with a ton of enhancements over the 996 GT2. I can get a 997GT2 for the same price as people are buying Ford GTs on Ebay...

If the Ford GT had a back seat for a munchkin (like the Porsche) it would be game over...no contest Ford GT! That's why it's a tough decision...

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I did some research... this might help you....

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/376327-rear-seats-installed-pics.html

It's about what you need to put the rear seats in a GT3. Just the bottoms though.

Good luck with your decision. As I said above the GT2 is an immense car...

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I wanted a porsche in the 80's. As far as I can tell the looks have not changed. If your looking for stealth the porsche is the way to go. I was a porsche club track instructor. While I obviously did not drive the fastest porsches (owned by instructors) I was not terribly impressed with the power or handling. I'm a car guy but I can not tell the difference in all the porsche models. Is the Gt3 better, or the RS. Or maybe the turbo? I know if you put them all in a line, the girls will like the one with the "prettiest color." I would like to own one just to see what they are like but I am waiting until they come out with something that looks different.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... I am waiting until they come out with something that looks different.

The PGT was pbly all the "different" you're gunna see for a while...if ever. After all, they've all looked pretty much identical since, when, 1950?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The PGT was pbly all the "different" you're gunna see for a while...if ever. After all, they've all looked pretty much identical since, when, 1950?

Except for the 924's, 944's and 928's.

H

HHGT

I actually loved my 914-6 back in college....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Except for the 924's, 944's and 928's.

I actually loved my 914-6 back in college....

Oops - forgot that one!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I've owned the same 911 for 22 years, still solid and fun in the track. That said, it's full of quirks. They still have them and that's part of the charm.

The all wheel drive Turbo and the balanced gt3 are probably easier to drive quickly than the terrifying GT2.