Seminole Florida
A 911 spun out trying to get away from me at the track. :wink

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
GT

GT, no question. GT-2 is a great car (best seats ever) but values plummet. It's sterile to drive. A nice German girlfriend - but not much personality. I'm an air-cooled Porsche guy with eight in the stable - but if I had to pick just one car to drive - GT wins hands down.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I had a 2004 911, my first and last Porsche. I was VERY impressed by how well they had made a very flawed design work. The handling and braking were unbelievable and the acceleration was also quite good. That said, the squeaks and rattles drove me up the wall and Porsche's response was "if it doesn't rattle on a smooth road its fine". I told them my five year old Diesel Pickup doesn't rattle on a bumpy road, therefore I believe it a reasonable request that my $100,000.00 Porsche would be as tight....

I ended up trading it in on my 2005 Mercedes E55 and have never looked back....

Given the choice, go for one completely stock Ford GT and one Twin Turbo Ford GT, that way you have the whole world covered.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I took the Skip Barber Hi Perf. Driving class at Lime Rock

It was filled with some pretty jaded car guys....who had seen, driven and owned it all.

During the class session, we had to do an intro and say what our ride was. Half the room was 911 (Turbo, GT3 RS, GT2); the rest was F-cars, Bimmers and a Aston, Maser, Lambo, Z06 here and there.

When I said Ford GT, 100% of the room turned around and stared at me, and the Instructor went into a tangent on how when the Ford GT comes to Lime Rock, nearly the whole track comes out to look.

Rest of the day, at lunch, hot laps, exercises...I kept getting pulled aside with: "so your the Ford GT guy", "what's that like", "so you pulled the trigger"; even the lead instructor took me on an extra hot lap with all 4 off the ground that nearly sent me into cradiac.

Dont get me wrong the 911 is awesome. I kept going into coners at near full speed in their.....to catch up to follow the leader. The chassis, brakes, steering were like a knife.

Neverthless, the rush was not the same.

The GT is like the Concorde; other planes will get you there, but not in same style.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was fortunate enough to face the same dilemma a few years ago. I already had a Ford GT and was ready to add another exotic to the collection. I considered every car out there in the $200k range but couldn't come up with anything that excited me as much as the GT. So after discussing it with my wife to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake, I bought another GT. I've never regretted it.

I put a Whipple on one and twin turboed the other. They are two very different animals now and each satisfies a different itch. I may add something different in the future but I'll keep both GT's.:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I am all for choice and having different driving experiences. I like that Porsche seems to make a car that owners can put miles on without too many problems, however I have to go with the consensus. You have to be a car guy to tell the difference in the 911 models, however anyone, even someone who knows nothing about cars, looks at a FGT with awe. There may be a comparison on the track, but on the street there is no other choice than the GT. :cheers

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Totally different cars. Some days you will appreciate one more than the other. It all depends where you are going. Neither will disappoint. Would be nice to have 'em both :thumbsup Good luck !

Aug 25, 2006
There is no solo gal that touches as many emotions for me as the Ford GT however I am a car guy through and through and find great pleasure in being able to get to know many different marquees.

The Porsche GT2 is a visceral when at the limit; in fact IMO when flat out she is downright scary gal and demands all of your attention or she will smack you around (this I have enjoyed about them since I purchased my first Turbo in 1977) whereas IMO the Ford GT is much more forgiving; yes they too can and do bite however the Ford GT is less likely to surprise you but rather confirm that you were simply being stupid.

When it comes to looks and the wow factor; the Ford GT wins hands down as I too have always said that to most the GT2 will appear as simply another Porsche and sadly much of this has to do with the fact that the number of folks that modify base model 911’s and or Turbos is extreme so in the end IMO it is truly a driver’s car when compared to a lapel pin and or parking lot conversation piece. Being as I am a motor-head I always enjoy looking within the engine bay of the Ford GT whereas the Porsche is IMO boring to look at unless removed from the gal and on a stand.

The Ford GT IMO is certainly extreme but even more so a complete package. Whether looking at her when parked, at speed, and even when you look beneath her skin they make me smile; this is something that very few other gals have to offer.

Having shared this; if I were only able to have one of these gals it would be the Ford GT and yet I like the GT2 also.

Shadowman

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
supercar

A supercar can't look like a regular car. A ZR1 or a GT2 still resemble their cheaper siblings and Joe Public can't distinguish them apart. The FGT on the other hand is a head turner & has real American muscle in a road going package that is timeless & a good investment.

Ed

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
had a 996 GT2 for a week. didn't like it. the new ones can't change what i didn't like the most -- the heavy rear end. fantastic when you learn how to drive it correctly but even on the streets i am not a fan.

if i were to get another, i'd get a cayman and build the engine. the cayman is fantastic, stellar handling and among the best looking of the p-cars (IMHO), but intentionally underpowered so as to not compete with the premiere models.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yep, too bad the Cayman doesn't have 400 to 500HP from the factory. Living in CA, I don't know of any CARB legal upgrades that will get you to that power level.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Ultimately, in all my research and obsession over the 911, I came to conclude that the Cayman S was the superior car, but purposely handicapped from the factory.

So, once I convinced myself that a father (of one at the time) could get a two-seater, than, I started looking at the Ford GT, and never looked back until I found my dream car, brand new, 3.6 miles, and black with just the two options I wanted.

Woohoo!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
The Porsche GT2 is an incredible car.

Just 2 weeks ago I was at Silverstone and the GT2 was the only car (with its Cup tyres) that could stay with me (he was actually faster at the beginning of every session).

Saying that a GT2 has a sterile driving experience is not correct in my opinion.

For me the Porsche is better over the GT in the steering feedback and gearbox.

You can't deny how the FGT steering feels a little vague at least at turn in. It gets better but in my opinion iit cannot match the precision of the Porsche one.

And the Ricardo is a fantastic piece of kit, and probably engineered to withstand much more torque than a stock FGT, but it trails the Porsche 6 speed manual in terms of precision and feedback.

Also the Porsche is a lighter and smaller car. No matter how you slice it this filters back when you drive it. At 1,350kg it is no lightweight, but it is still 200kg lighter than the FGT.

Also if you track your car regularly and start adding the bills the FGT becomes quite an expensive car to run. I figure that I spend $1,400 per track day (1 set of pads, 1/2 set of tyres, fuel, 1/3 rotors, oil, insurance, track day fee etc).

The GT2 also retains some of the peculiar traits that made the 911 legendary. You either like it or not, but having the engine hanging behind the rear axle certainly changes how you drive the car.

Ask yourself why 50% of the cars you see at a track day are 911s. They are tough, they take the beating lap anfter lap, and they reward you with a fantastic driver experience. Knowinng you are fast in a 911 always give you a sense of acheivement.

So for me the GT2 is one of the greatest cars in production right now. And it does not matter what wiill come next year, because you can climb onto a 2001 MKI GT3 RS and still feel special. Or a 1997 993 RS, or a 1994 964 RS. Granted you will not be the fastest guy around the track, but that will not take away anything from the driving experience.

The problem here is that you are comparing the GT2 with the Ford GT. The Ford is not a regular car. As the other guys have expressed above there is something more that comes with the FGT. And it cannot be put down to lap times, HP figures, costs, return on investment, depreciation or anything.

The Ford GT is (because of its heritage) a car everybody is drawn to. As if it is programmed in our genetic code, the Ford GT is the idea of what a race car is.

Plus they have made relatively few of them and so it makes it rare. And not many people drive it around, let alone take it to the track. So the looks on people's face is justified.

It's an icon.

Now the fact that Ford actually delivered a 1st class supercar embedded with the icon makes things rather interesting.

So even though the driving experience is not so dynamically pure (I wish the GT weighted 2-300kg less) the Ford delivers. And it is a fun car to drive. In fact because of the lack of any electronic nanny it is more of a full on sort of experience.

It really depends on what you are after. I believe that if you are prepared to put up with the incredibly stiff set up then the GT2 makes for a more "practical" car. It is less obvious, you can park it anywhere, it has a longer range (more mile to the gallon and bigger tank), it is probably faster on a twisty road, it excells at the track, it never brakes down, you have space for some luggage (golf clubs etc)....

The Ford GT is more of a choice dictated by your heart. It will stir emotions on a different level, a level unknown by the GT2 (I guess you would need to drive a 1973 RSR to get the same feelings). It can be superfast at the track (I think that with the right tyres the GT2 stands no chance against a FGT), it gets you noticed and it is always positive attention and so on.

Personally if I could have any car right now it would still be the Ford GT. But that is not an entirely rational decision.

I can see why the GT2 is the ultimate car for a lot of the magazines...

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
911 teo said it very well as did others.

The GT2 is an awesome car. I love Porsches. I have a 2009 Carrera 4S with PDK. its Meteor Silver with black accents and word "Carrera" in script in black on the bottom of the doors. It really stands out. While a notch or so below the GT2 in performance there are few who can really drive any Carrera it to its full potential.

As said here ,however, Porsche comes out each year with better and faster versions of the Carrera. My Carrera 4S with PDK (which is an amazing transmission) is a match for last years GT3. Point is next year will bring something newer and better.

The GT2 is a special car. No doubt. So are all Carreras. But their "specialness" is lost on some. Granted I do get a fair amount of "thumbs up" with the Porsche and compliments BUT.... the FGT thats another story all together. It draws young and old alike. A curse and a blessing when you are just trying to enjoy a cup of coffee and can't because you have to go out and start answering questions from admirers. It is recognized as special by nearly everyone who lays eyes on it. It is photographed nearly every time it goes out and has even been video taped by passengers in cars driving along side!:eek

The FGT production is done. There is no next years model. This is it. Period. GT2s will see updated models.

While there is a sense of occassion driving my Carrera 4S and I'm sure even more so by one driving in a GT2 I don't think its as much a sense of occassion as you will get when you slip behind the wheel of an FGT. IMHO.

With the FGT comes the sense, feeling and knowledge that it this is a special car, not just because it can go like stink, which it can but because of the legendary heritage that is part of its DNA, its iconic good looks and the feeling that it represents what America can do when she puts her mind to it and harkens back to the time when America beat the worlds best at their own game 4 times on the trot at LeMans and Porsche too in one of the most exciting LeMans Finishes in 1969. Eat your heart out Enzo.

Why not buy a Standard Carrera, still an awesome car and with the money you save also get the FGT?

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
911Teo --great "opinion piece", carefully thought out and well said.

Out of the box the FGT is a really sweet Drivers Car. And, with a few inexpensive changes and adjustments, it is really decent track car.

The newer, upper end Porsche's come from the factory with track days in mind. And it takes a pretty skilled and experienced driver to wring those fast lap times out of them.

Pretty much apples and tangerines.

But at the end of the day, month and year ----

The GT is The One that everyone wants in their garage.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have always liked exotic cars of many "flavors", but the only exotic one I have driven is my Ford GT. So, thanks for the great feedback.

I think I have noticed a pattern on the GT forum. I know that there have been many discussions on the Forum about other cars. My opinion of the GT owner is that; the majority are not elitist. They just love thier Ford GT, and appreciate other great cars. I guess that is what I like about being on the Forum. Great people!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I have always liked exotic cars of many "flavors", but the only exotic one I have driven is my Ford GT. So, thanks for the great feedback.

I think I have noticed a pattern on the GT forum. I know that there have been many discussions on the Forum about other cars. My opinion of the GT owner is that; the majority are not elitist. They just love thier Ford GT, and appreciate other great cars. I guess that is what I like about being on the Forum. Great people!

I agree!!!

I am a Porsche guy. For me the 911 is the ultimate sports car. I have had several 911s and eventually I settled on the aircooled ones as the car that would give me the most pleasure to drive. Not the fastest, not the quickest but the one that would make me smile the most, everytime.

36 months ago I set out to build myself what I thought would be the ultimate 911, and the ultimate car for me.

It was a no money object type of project. It took a long time because every single detailed was thought out and done with no compromises.

So the car now is ready and in my garage and it has been a huge emotional investment on my part (not to mention that it cost me much more than the Ford GT).

And yet I can honestly say that if I had to decide between my 911 and the Ford GT it would not be the Porsche.

The Ford makes every other car redundant. I just love it.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
It's a GT3 RS, not a GT2, but still an excellent read...

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=Porsche

Mar 15, 2006
Last time I checked, the 997 GT2 was a good bit more money than an FGT. You could spend the same money on an FGT but it would be very low mile or a Heritage.

Drive both cars and pick the one you like. Either way, if you buy a GT2 now it will be worth 60% of that number in 3 yrs. Buy the right FGT and it should hold its price indefinately.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Post of the day.

The Porsche GT2 is an incredible car.

Just 2 weeks ago I was at Silverstone and the GT2 was the only car (with its Cup tyres) that could stay with me (he was actually faster at the beginning of every session).

Saying that a GT2 has a sterile driving experience is not correct in my opinion.

For me the Porsche is better over the GT in the steering feedback and gearbox......................................................The Ford GT is more of a choice dictated by your heart. It will stir emotions on a different level, a level unknown by the GT2 (I guess you would need to drive a 1973 RSR to get the same feelings). It can be superfast at the track (I think that with the right tyres the GT2 stands no chance against a FGT), it gets you noticed and it is always positive attention and so on.

Personally if I could have any car right now it would still be the Ford GT. But that is not an entirely rational decision.

I can see why the GT2 is the ultimate car for a lot of the magazines...

Matteo,

An outatanding post. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Chip