FORD GT or PORSCHE GT2

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I know I am probably going to get very biased :wink answers to this one given the audience, but looking for some honest opinions on the new GT2 vs the Ford GT. The new GT2 has been heralded in the media as the best ever, and I can pick up a ford GT or GT2 for essentially the same price.
Both have lots of options for upgrades which is appealing to and both can be driven hard!

One things that is a positive for the GT2 is that it's under warranty for a few more years whereas most GTs are out of warranty.

What do you think? Let's hear it :banana

H

HHGT

Putting the Ford Gt aside... If I walked by a Porsche today, I would not be able to tell what year, model etc... If you are buying for the race track that's one thing. If you are buying because it does something for you personally and is unique/exotic in every way possible the GT2 would not be it for me. No disrespect to the Porsche owners, but lthlvpr asked...

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I could tell if it was a GT2 turbo carera or any other model of porsh. Come on HHGT! You are a better car guy than that :( Viper I would get a GT over a GT2 anyday, but if you already have a GT get the GT2

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Personally I cannot fit in the Porsche. The center console hits right in the side of my calf and cuts off circulation to my foot. On long trips its an issue. I am 6'3" and just too big for the GT2. I dont have that issue in the GT. Go sit in one first and see if it fits comfortably.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A scientific analysis.

I've never driven a GT2. I'm sure it's a fine car. Same price today. 10 years from now the Ford GT will be worth two to three times what the GT2 is worth. I'd bet the farm on that. The FGT possesses a timeless beauty and has a stunning presence on the street. By comparison, the GT2 is invisible.

Finally, there are internal considerations. What is inside the car. I have studied this intensely over the last four years. The FGP typically has a Ford GT Forum member inside. The GT2 contains a Porsche owner. No comparison there. Game, set, match. Ford GT hands down.

Chip

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Well said Chip!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I've wanted a 911 my whole life. I've studied every model from 993, to 996, to 997, and every variation thereof.

I've studied the underlying design and structure, and the heritage.

I am definitely no expert in car design or dynamics, but I do tend to be very passionate about what I pursue.

The 911 is a car with a long heritage and the rear engine design has been made to perform well, using electronics and other wizardry.

It seems the Rear Mid Engine design of the Ford GT is inherently capable and competent, with no need for electronic fine tuning.

I've never doubted my decision to purchase the Ford GT.

Someday I would like to own a Porsche and hopefully will.

The Ford GT is definitely a car for a lifetime. It's in a class by itself.

H

HHGT

I could tell if it was a GT2 turbo carera or any other model of porsh. Come on HHGT! You are a better car guy than that :( Viper I would get a GT over a GT2 anyday, but if you already have a GT get the GT2

Mostly Porsche guys can tell the difference, the average car guy can not. In my opinion, the 911 has not visually changed much over the years and perhaps that may be the reason for its success. Esthetically, Ferraris and Lambos have evolved over the years and no 2 models look similar, not so much for the Porsche. The PGT, well that is pure art.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
One things that is a positive for the GT2 is that it's under warranty for a few more years whereas most GTs are out of warranty.

Is the car likely to need the warranty? I'm not talking about build quality here, we all know that both cars are built to enviable standards and capable hands. I'm a huge fan of German engineering and culture.

But the GT is devoid of a lot of the electronic controls that modern "sports cars" have. The purity of the GT design means less likelihood of things to fail over time.

My goal was to buy the finest and most capable car available at the price. I believe I achieved that goal.

I've recently driven a couple 997's and I was amazed by the level of refinement. Obviously a GT2 is a totally different beast, which I have not yet experienced. But in terms of driver interaction and experience, I love the sensations and feedback of the Ford GT.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The Porsche is a poor design engineered to perfection. The F-GT is a timeless design, my vote goes to the Blue Oval. :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Putting the Ford Gt aside... If I walked by a Porsche today, I would not be able to tell what year, model etc... If you are buying for the race track that's one thing. If you are buying because it does something for you personally and is unique/exotic in every way possible the GT2 would not be it for me. No disrespect to the Porsche owners, but lthlvpr asked...

Pretty much my thinking.

Everyone has a 911 and they all look the same. Hard to beat on a track day but otherwise clinically dull in my opinion.

The Ford GT sets pulses racing like no other, a rare and desirable thing.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Having been a P car guy for many years .I find the GT to be my 1st choice every time I open the garage!!
Plus I find it funny at all the P car drivers that beep and thumbs up me when they see me driving by!

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Chip:
So, there really is a similarity between Porcupine's and Porsche owners...

I've never driven a GT2. I'm sure it's a fine car. Same price today. 10 years from now the Ford GT will be worth two to three times what the GT2 is worth. I'd bet the farm on that. The FGT possesses a timeless beauty and has a stunning presence on the street. By comparison, the GT2 is invisible.

Finally, there are internal considerations. What is inside the car. I have studied this intensely over the last four years. The FGP typically has a Ford GT Forum member inside. The GT2 contains a Porsche owner. No comparison there. Game, set, match. Ford GT hands down.

Chip

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Having been a P car guy for many years .I find the GT to be my 1st choice every time I open the garage!!

Plus I find it funny at all the P car drivers that beep and thumbs up me when they see me driving by!

Your 'hood is much more polite than mine. Usually they look like they're studying for a final exam on traffic patterns, and have a neck brace on to keep them from even casually glancing at the GT. :rofl

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
Porsche's, like Ferrari's are excellent cars, but as long as those two companies are in business, the next year will always bring a new better, faster, more expensive Porsche or Ferrari. The Ford GT was a one-time shot. The ecomony and world politics insure that Ford will never build a car like the GT again. Ford used all their resources to develop what they felt was, at that time and place, the ultimate supercar. It will always be the highwater mark for Ford in this era.

I own numerous other German, Italian and British cars as well as US made ones. Personally, I will admit to a sense of pride in also owning the best of the American designs.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
choice is good

We all have personal preferences. If you like the characteristics of the Ford GT, I'd think GT3 RS is a better/closer alternative than GT2. Though I'd have to lose those silly side-sill decals on the RS. One major difference that hasn't been mentioned yet is the difference in storage space for wifey's hair dryer and accoutrements. The Ford GT has next to none! ... so weekends to the beach require careful planning. And a wife sans accoutrements is not something to be trifled with. I have my full asbestos flame suit in place and adjusted.

Having said that, nothing will ever pry my fully Shadowmanized FGT away from me. It's simply the coolest car on the road. And as you may have already determined, the Red ones are verifiably 10 to 12% faster than the other colors.

REDEEMED

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
DWR makes a great point. For future re-sale value, I can't imagine a better value than the pinnacle of Ford Motor. Or thinking about it, wow factor. As for the GT2, never driven one, but I did have an X50 turbo and I've driven many GT3's at Willow Springs and I would much prefer GT3 on the track as well as a semi-daily driver.

So, GT3 on track, GT3 as daily driver and (by farrrrrrrrrr) FGT as an exotic. I think this reality is reflected in resale value. 996 GT2's (prior generation) can be had in the $80-90k range. I think the same thing will happen to the 997 version of the GT2.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I can understand the dilemma. Porsche does make great cars, and the GT2 is its current pinnacle of achievement. But what's coming next year, or the year after that? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 911 TT, and it's not even close to the dynamics of a GT2. What can I say, I need the back seat. :biggrin But when my kids are older and those seats are unnecessary (ie - they get too big and won't fit there anymore), I won't get a GT2, I'll buy a 2nd GT, (probably even over a Carrera GT if I could afford it). :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Red ones are verifiably 10 to 12% faster than the other colors.

REDEEMED

That's a very conservative figure.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
And as you may have already determined, the Red ones are verifiably 10 to 12% faster than the other colors.

REDEEMED

That's a very conservative figure.

...:ack:ack:ack...where's my 'air sick' bag...:ack:ack:ack