Carfax repot question

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I guess I am lucky in that my car has never been registered, still have the original MSO signed over to me from the selling dealer, so no car fax and no confusion if I was ever to sell it. Too many of these early GTs have exchanged hands many times, even with very few miles on them, but as long as one has a legitimate title with everything spelled correctly (including the vehicle id numbers) and all of the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted, transfer should be easy

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I guess I am lucky in that my car has never been registered, still have the original MSO signed over to me from the selling dealer, so no car fax and no confusion if I was ever to sell it. Too many of these early GTs have exchanged hands many times, even with very few miles on them, but as long as one has a legitimate title with everything spelled correctly (including the vehicle id numbers) and all of the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted, transfer should be easy
Do you drive it, and if so, how?

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I hang a dealer tag on it and am good to go!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I hang a dealer tag on it and am good to go!
That is smart!

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
I am having a PPI done on this car Friday. A have a question assuming everything checks out and I want to go ahead with the purchase.

Is there any financial advice when making such a large purchase? I am not sure if there are any tax tricks or something of the sort when it comes to buying a $400,000 car. Is it as simple as write a big check and pay state taxes?

Thanks!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I am having a PPI done on this car Friday. A have a question assuming everything checks out and I want to go ahead with the purchase.

Is there any financial advice when making such a large purchase? I am not sure if there are any tax tricks or something of the sort when it comes to buying a $400,000 car. Is it as simple as write a big check and pay state taxes?

Thanks!

Unfortunately thats the case.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The only tax trick I've heard of is to register the car in Montana (or NJ), which has no car sales tax, and which will mean your plate will say Montana, and apparently some states might pursue you to see if it's legit. You'd need to set up a Montana LLC, and if ever questioned would need to prove your LLC is for legit purposes, not that I know what that entails. There are some youtube vids by lawyers who mostly recommend against it, but really would anybody expect them to recommend something that has the potential to cause people some pretty serious problems, even if they are somewhat(?) low risk. Do some research first and decide. Lotta people do it, for expensive cars, RVs, boats.

I didn't wanna have to 'wonder' or watch my back, so even tho I feel like I'm a little more of a risk taker than the average Joe, I've written the big check, twice now. It's annoying, but like everything else, it too passes :)

My friend's eyes got big when he found out I paid more sales tax on my GT than his car is worth :eek: :D OUCH!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Having that 400k wired out of your checking account. It kinda feels surreal 😂

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks!
You don't say what state you live in so I'll relate how things have worked where I've been...

When I bought my Cobra and GT I lived in Colorado. Colorado's rules are you pay sales tax on the purchase price less any trade in. When I bought the Cobra I paid sales tax on the purchase price at Barrett Jackson given the bill of sale I got from them. Colorado included the 10% buyer's premium as part of the purchase price so I got a pretty hefty sales tax bill. One time.

The good news is that Colorado considered the car as a 1965 model year, and registration fees are based on that. They depreciate the vehicle 15% every year until it reaches a minimum amount and then the registration stays the same after that. I think the Cobra license fee including an added fee for a vanity plate was $65 for a 5 year tag plus $30/year x 5 for the vanity plate fee. Somewhere around 200 for a 5 year tag.

When I bought the GT I was friends with a dealer who graciously ran the Cobra sale and GT purchase as a trade in event. So in Colorado on the GT purchase I only paid sales tax on the difference. IOn Colorado the GT was 5 years into its depreciation cycle and was very close to minimum. No matter what the tags were under 300/year and went down ever year until we moved to Nevada...

Nevada's sales tax rules are the same as Colorado. You pay sales tax on the purchase less trade (if any). Nevada's registration fees also are calculated on a depreciation schedule and reach a floor. The GT registration including vanity plates was again a fairly low 300-400...

Now, some states don't depreciate and levy a personal property tax based on fair market value. A guy in Connecticut is battling his Cobra taxes to the state but so far the revenue is town based and they are blocking adoption of similar rules to other states which is endorsed by SEMA...

As far as Montana registrations go many states are clamping down and firmly delcare it to be tax evasion. The counties in the Denver Metro area did a sweep of Montana registrations on RVs and Boats just before I bought my GT (and I momentarily considered it after discussion with some people that use it) but gave up as I considered the risks of fines and penalties that were multiple times the one time sales tax not worth it. But that was for an 06 whose annual tags had already gone way below that of a new truck. However, I see a fair number of NGTs with Montana plates and consider that the sales tax on that purchase plus the registration fees for new and the sliding scale before it depreciates could be a sizeable number and the analysis becomes risk vs reward...

Whatever you decide enjoy the car. It's a hoot to drive.

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
Thanks all. I am located in WI and wont be registering it in another state. We also have where you can trade in a car and pay less taxes but I won’t be trading in a car.

Reactions: 289 4spd

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
More to consider: when you sell the GT, any profit you make is capital gains and you pay tax on it. Make sure you keep track of every cent you spend on the car as a deduction to the profit you make. Again, this is another gray area, but there is plenty to read up on this on the internet. Maybe best to consult your tax attorney or accountant.

Reactions: jaxgt and 289 4spd

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If you don't sell it, capital gains ain't a problem! Instead, drive the snot out of it and convert your cap gains into smiles and grins.

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
If you don't sell it, capital gains ain't a problem! Instead, drive the snot out of it and convert your cap gains into smiles and grins.
That’s the plan!

Reactions: 289 4spd

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
Well Rich Brooks came out yesterday and gave an inspection. It was awesome to get to be there with him and learn about the car. Everything checked out and the car was great. Just the normal stuff from it sitting around, but it drove great. It has a full Ford Racing exhaust, pulley and Ford Racing tune.

I have been researching on this forum for a while now. I thought you guys were fill of BS talking about how fun these cars are to drive. Yesterday was my birthday and I was lucky enough to get the best birthday gift ever. Passed the 2,000 mile mark and cant wait to put more on. Thanks for all the help and looking forward to many years of ownership!
fFE6nM3.jpg

dcAVoZ6.jpg

pdq2joW.jpg

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome as an owner!

You were smart, if Rich says it's good, it's good.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
If there's anything that needs to be done, let Rich do it, before you take the car, none better than the best!!!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
More to consider: when you sell the GT, any profit you make is capital gains and you pay tax on it. Make sure you keep track of every cent you spend on the car as a deduction to the profit you make. Again, this is another gray area, but there is plenty to read up on this on the internet. Maybe best to consult your tax attorney or accountant.
I always wondered if there would be capital gains on a personally owned vehicle. (I get it if it is owned corporately). If so, wouldn’t there also be capital lose??? I think that would open up a whole new can of worms. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Well Rich Brooks came out yesterday and gave an inspection. ... Yesterday was my birthday and I was lucky enough to get the best birthday gift ever. Passed the 2,000 mile mark and cant wait to put more on.
CONGRATS! 🍻 (y)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I always wondered if there would be capital gains on a personally owned vehicle. (I get it if it is owned corporately). If so, wouldn’t there also be capital lose??? I think that would open up a whole new can of worms. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.

Sorry, you lose. If you sell something, anything, for more than you paid for it, you owe taxes on the profits. Coins, art, boats, RVs the list goes on. If you sell it for less there is no break... Sorry.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I'm sure it's a combination of the camera lens and angle, but pics like that make the car look so tiny that it's almost a toy.

Enjoy it!!!